U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 AM

35,140 posts, read 44,957,937 times

Advertisements

So, I went out this morning to drink a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up over the Chesapeake as I now do most mornings.

I looked down and on the sidewalk was a plant tag. I then moved my eyes a bit and discovered that sometime overnight someone had dug out a 1 1/2 foot tall lavender plant which had been planted between the fence and sidewalk. The other lavender a couple feet away was still there. Also missing was a blooming Dianthus. They left the phlox, at least for now.

Mrs. NBP was not amused as she has been busying herself the last few days making lavender whips (I'm not turning my back to her, by the way).

We came home from a short vacation a couple years ago and found that someone had thoughtfully pruned the blooms off the Hydrangeas planted along the edge of the driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 AM

75,625 posts, read 88,346,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, I went out this morning to drink a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up over the Chesapeake as I now do most mornings.

I looked down and on the sidewalk was a plant tag. I then moved my eyes a bit and discovered that sometime overnight someone had dug out a 1 1/2 foot tall lavender plant which had been planted between the fence and sidewalk. The other lavender a couple feet away was still there. Also missing was a blooming Dianthus. They left the phlox, at least for now.

Mrs. NBP was not amused as she has been busying herself the last few days making lavender whips (I'm not turning my back to her, by the way).

We came home from a short vacation a couple years ago and found that someone had thoughtfully pruned the blooms off the Hydrangeas planted along the edge of the driveway.
Is it 4 legged criminals or 2 legged ones do you think? 4 legged don't know any better, they are a pain but we understand; 2 legged ones should be shot. well not literally shot but you know what I mean.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is it 4 legged criminals or 2 legged ones do you think? 4 legged don't know any better, they are a pain but we understand; 2 legged ones should be shot. well not literally shot but you know what I mean.
Two legged, the plants were rooted too deeply for a critter to get them out without leaving debris. Plus there was no trail of dirt if they'd been dragged away.

We have this happen all the time with plantings the Town has. The flower beds we have near the beach are stripped almost bare sometimes. Hell, someone took the Town clock a few years ago and that damned thing weighed 250 pounds.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 AM

2,454 posts, read 2,821,385 times
Some people.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:08 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,815,433 times
Ive lost many plants to thieves, all commercial plantings.

Got to be such a problem for commercial landscapers about 5 years ago we set up a task force. Rotating nights different owners and managers from different companies would make a circuit of fresh plantings based on a map all of use provided.

Caught several thieves that way. We'd roll up on a truck at a fresh commercial landscape job and use binos to watch froma distance. Calling into 911. Local PD's in the three city area were all notified of our activities.

All the thieves were either unlicensed scabs or small time landscapers. After a month and about ten people caught, it finally stopped.

Dont even get me started on the wire thefts.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM

20,988 posts, read 9,568,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ive lost many plants to thieves, all commercial plantings.

Got to be such a problem for commercial landscapers about 5 years ago we set up a task force. Rotating nights different owners and managers from different companies would make a circuit of fresh plantings based on a map all of use provided.

Caught several thieves that way. We'd roll up on a truck at a fresh commercial landscape job and use binos to watch froma distance. Calling into 911. Local PD's in the three city area were all notified of our activities.

All the thieves were either unlicensed scabs or small time landscapers. After a month and about ten people caught, it finally stopped.
Smart idea!

I've lost the occasional plant out of my front yard or off my porch. It makes me angry out of all proportion to the loss. After all, the infrequent theft can easily be repaired.

I start to think seriously about booby traps... I've always thought that poison oak is a handsome plant that would make a dandy hedge!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:43 AM

3,362 posts, read 2,282,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No....literally.

People are rightfully angry. Theft is a personal VIOLATION and we seem to have forgotten that.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
I learned the hard way not to let my home & gardens be on tours anymore. I'd rather give a check to the charity than open my home and gardens to the public. You would not believe how people think nothing of grabbing a knick knack off a shelf, taking a cutting off a prized plant (azaleas in my case) and trying to come back after the event is over "cause I really didn't get to see as much as i wanted to". We had 2 dogs out late one night in the fenced in back yard and they ran off people who had already gotten inside our yard. They dropped trowels and one shovel in their haste. This was the weekend after a garden tour. NEVER AGAIN.

To the OP. I'm sorry. I would put up cameras if they could catch somebody close enough. I've seen videos of people stealing christmas lights and outdoor displays as well as wreaths and deliveries at the front door.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,282,169 times
What is wrong with people? Should I even be asking that?

I'm sorry that happened. When things were bad, recession, drought, etc. I saw this happen on more than one occasion, especially in newer subdivisions, homes, etc. Plants/shrubs would be there one day, gone the next.

When we bought our house, we had some beautiful sago palms in large planters that were left from the previous owner. In the midst of us moving in, one night someone took all the planters. There was no way that someone could have done it alone. And what made it worse, we found out who it was but the realtor wouldn't do anything about it. Very disappointing.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Two legged, the plants were rooted too deeply for a critter to get them out without leaving debris. Plus there was no trail of dirt if they'd been dragged away.

We have this happen all the time with plantings the Town has. The flower beds we have near the beach are stripped almost bare sometimes. Hell, someone took the Town clock a few years ago and that damned thing weighed 250 pounds.

To give you an idea of the Town flowerbeds:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or