Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,651,992 times

Advertisements

Department of agriculture will give you mosquito fish.
But the pump idea is a good one on many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,630,060 times
The problem with koi is that they are expensive and they get big. Get 2 or 3 of the cheapie goldfish from the pet section at Walmart....they will eat the larvae, grow a little and can actually survive over the winter so long as they have plant materials to eat, such as the funky stuff which will naturally occur in the bottom of your pot. Even in winter...if the pot ices over, just break them an air hole and they will probably be ok. If they don't make it all winter, your monetary investment is small.

We had a nice koi pond in Atlanta, and our fish did fine all winter. We stopped feeding them in the fall as the temps dropped, and the fish's metabolism slowed. I used to have pics of my koi and goldfish under the ice, coming up to the air hole. Obviously they don't need to breathe the air like a dolphin, but they seemed to like it.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,905,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
The problem with koi is that they are expensive and they get big.
Yeah they do, like 2~3 lbm, 18 inch long big... All the way to 10 lbm size

Quote:
Get 2 or 3 of the cheapie goldfish from the pet section at Walmart.
^^^ Here's your answer right there ^^^

But watch out for neighborhood cats !

Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,014,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Yeah they do, like 2~3 lbm, 18 inch long big... All the way to 10 lbm size

^^^ Here's your answer right there ^^^

But watch out for neighborhood cats !

Yes and water snakes if you live in the south ...I had a friend of mine that had a pond and one day we were standing by it and a big black snake came out of a hole by it ..I had to go to the hospital she knocked me down so hard she snapped my ankle . I have never seen anyone so scared of a snake in my life that they would knock someone down that way , I felt like I had been hit by a linebacker in a football game LOL .

Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,630,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes and water snakes if you live in the south ...I had a friend of mine that had a pond and one day we were standing by it and a big black snake came out of a hole by it ..I had to go to the hospital she knocked me down so hard she snapped my ankle . I have never seen anyone so scared of a snake in my life that they would knock someone down that way , I felt like I had been hit by a linebacker in a football game LOL .
Well, I think the OP will be ok with his water garden in a pot, but yes, wildlife can be a problem!! We had a large hawk that perched on the side of our koi pond looking for a chance to catch his lunch. I would not have been surprised at all to see a snake. A funny story...we bought one of those standard algae eater fish at Walmart to help eat some of the algae, etc. It was a plecostamus, I think. Well, usually fish adapt their growth to the size of the tank. In our koi pond, which was about 10 ft by 6 ft and about waist deep in one section, that algae eater grew to about 2 feet long. And ugly!!!!!

For the neighborhood cats, you might consider a little "safe room" for the fish in the bottom of the pot. Anything you can put down there which will stay down, and with some openings in it for the fish to hide in down deep. I'm sure you could come up with something from a recycled water bottle and some stones, or something like that. We had a large flat rock on an upturned terra cotta pot for our koi to hide under when the hawk was around.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,589,787 times
And if you have raccoons in the neighborhood, forget the fish. They will treat them like hors d'oeuvres and throw your plants out of the container while they're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden