U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 PM

16,255 posts, read 13,025,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKay9 View Post
Poison ivy! A hot topic at my home these days. We have a small orchard, 40 apple trees, surrounded by conservation land. The ivy comes in from the conservation land and it's mission in life is to climb our trees. We've been beating it back, mowing, pulling, for two years. It is winning. Just today, finally got sick of dressing up in Tyvec and attacking it and had a local guy com spray it with glysophate.

Wouldn't you know, right when he was finishing up, we discovered that a neighbor who is invisible, due to woods between us, has goats!! Goats that she is willing to loan us for ivy eating. Arghhh! I was considering getting a few goats, but, due to bobcats and coyotes hanging around, was worried about keeping them safe at night and the investment required to build them a secure house.

Anyone know how long after glysophate application to foliage, livestock can eat stuff? Obviously not the sprayed foliage, but if I clean it up after it dies, when could ivy eating animals be introduced to eat new growth?

I'm only moderately sensitive, I actually have to touch the plant and neglect to wash up thoroughly, I don't get it from petting dogs or handling horses who have been in it. But, my mother, who lives with us, is super sensitive, so I go all out to avoid bringing the urishiol into the house on my clothes or tools.
Cancer and glyphosate: WHO and UN say New Study Links Monsanto's Glyphosate to Cancer - Health Nut News. MSNBC had ran an article earlier today on this new study.

As far as goats eating the ivy for you; I believe they also eat the bark off the trees. I know, when I was driving truck, that I could spot goat pastures from the lack of bark and dying trees: https://www.google.com/search?q=goat...w=1536&bih=702. You might want to rethink that idea - if your neighbor brings over her goats; maybe you would be lucky if you had bobcats and coyotes!

I just keep my ivy under control by mowing and weed eating - but that is not for those sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,916,323 times
i got a rash just reading this thread ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 PM

21,751 posts, read 20,808,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Although when I was a kid I could rub poison ivy on my skin and never get a reaction, as an adult I am extremely sensitive to it. I have found Zanfel to be worth every penny in clearing it up. The only other remedy that I works is if you have access to the ocean - spend a few hours at the beach rubbing the areas with the hot salty sand and then going in the salt water, repeating this process several times. It dries the area and the scratchy sand satisfies that horrible itch.
As a kid I used to get it by the ocean and it never occurred to anyone that the salt water would cure it.

Many years later I started grad school with a bad case of poison ivy. I was afraid I'd be missing my classes but since the university was near a nice beach, I decided that, oh well, at least I can get in a beach day before quitting my master's program.

As you said, getting into that salt water was all it took. Gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden