U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times

Advertisements

I suffer every year and it only gets worse. Several times I've had to get steroid shots. This article is very informative.

poison ivy, with dr. susan pell - A Way To Garden

http://www.kctv5.com/story/29335229/...owing-stronger

Last edited by no kudzu; 06-20-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,024,400 times
I didn't realize how sturdy and chameleon-like the poison ivy plant is

I was so sensitive, I used to get it from touching my horses, if they had been touching it somewhere in the pasture.

I have also had my share of steroid shots, prescriptions and fat doctor bills.

I think I have kind of become immune to poison ivy and poison oak; can't say that about sumac.

If I'm cleaning fence rows in the spring and happen upon some poison ivy or oak, I wash ASAP with red clay soap & jewelweed. I only end up with a few bubbles and swipe a wet bar of the red clay soap across it, after showering.

Nasty nasty stuff; I'm itching just from reading the article lollol

Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 PM

248 posts, read 254,268 times
Poison ivy! A hot topic at my home these days. We have a small orchard, 40 apple trees, surrounded by conservation land. The ivy comes in from the conservation land and it's mission in life is to climb our trees. We've been beating it back, mowing, pulling, for two years. It is winning. Just today, finally got sick of dressing up in Tyvec and attacking it and had a local guy com spray it with glysophate.

Wouldn't you know, right when he was finishing up, we discovered that a neighbor who is invisible, due to woods between us, has goats!! Goats that she is willing to loan us for ivy eating. Arghhh! I was considering getting a few goats, but, due to bobcats and coyotes hanging around, was worried about keeping them safe at night and the investment required to build them a secure house.

Anyone know how long after glysophate application to foliage, livestock can eat stuff? Obviously not the sprayed foliage, but if I clean it up after it dies, when could ivy eating animals be introduced to eat new growth?

I'm only moderately sensitive, I actually have to touch the plant and neglect to wash up thoroughly, I don't get it from petting dogs or handling horses who have been in it. But, my mother, who lives with us, is super sensitive, so I go all out to avoid bringing the urishiol into the house on my clothes or tools.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKay9 View Post
Poison ivy! A hot topic at my home these days. We have a small orchard, 40 apple trees, surrounded by conservation land. The ivy comes in from the conservation land and it's mission in life is to climb our trees. We've been beating it back, mowing, pulling, for two years. It is winning. Just today, finally got sick of dressing up in Tyvec and attacking it and had a local guy com spray it with glysophate.

Wouldn't you know, right when he was finishing up, we discovered that a neighbor who is invisible, due to woods between us, has goats!! Goats that she is willing to loan us for ivy eating. Arghhh! I was considering getting a few goats, but, due to bobcats and coyotes hanging around, was worried about keeping them safe at night and the investment required to build them a secure house.

Anyone know how long after glysophate application to foliage, livestock can eat stuff? Obviously not the sprayed foliage, but if I clean it up after it dies, when could ivy eating animals be introduced to eat new growth?

I'm only moderately sensitive, I actually have to touch the plant and neglect to wash up thoroughly, I don't get it from petting dogs or handling horses who have been in it. But, my mother, who lives with us, is super sensitive, so I go all out to avoid bringing the urishiol into the house on my clothes or tools.
While the general consensus on the goat forum is that it's toxic, I can't find anything credible, one way or the other. Roundup Weed Killer and goats - The Goat Spot - Goat Forum

if your county AG person is worth their salt, he/she should be able answer your question.

we have sprayed the front fence rows with Round-up and the horses are fine, but we spray a good 12 hours before they have access to the fence.

Even though the 2-4-D label says it is immediately safe for horses, I still keep them off the pasture for a 24 hour cycle.

Since the goats are not yours, I would err on the side of caution, even if the AG person or your Co-Op says they can graze right away.

Bummer you didn't know sooner but, now that you know about the goats, look at all the work they will save down the road

Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 AM

8,022 posts, read 19,629,056 times
Over the years, I tend to break out in rashes from contact, but nothing resembling the massive outbreaks of my youth requiring injections and meds to cope. As I sit here, my forearms are covered in a week old rash that itches like the devil (and looks like it too). I've purchased $10 spray and out of desperation bit the bullet and paid the $35 (Walmart) for a little tube of Zanfel ($45 at CVS and $29 + shipping on Amazon if you can wait 2 days). The Zanfel does help (at least me), but by no means a cure. I have one more little patch left on my fence-line that I hit it with round up....I thought I was careful with the last lot, but obviously not careful enough.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:08 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,288,569 times
Although when I was a kid I could rub poison ivy on my skin and never get a reaction, as an adult I am extremely sensitive to it. I have found Zanfel to be worth every penny in clearing it up. The only other remedy that I works is if you have access to the ocean - spend a few hours at the beach rubbing the areas with the hot salty sand and then going in the salt water, repeating this process several times. It dries the area and the scratchy sand satisfies that horrible itch.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 10,531,024 times
I used to get it a lot more as a kid. I try and avoid it when I see it. Though, I've seen it in my garden, and have dug it up. I also have spray that will kill it. Unfortunately I just spotted more hiding underneath one of my hostas, and don't want to spray it out of fear it will also kill a good portion of my hosta.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,304,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I've purchased $10 spray and out of desperation bit the bullet and paid the $35 (Walmart) for a little tube of Zanfel ($45 at CVS and $29 + shipping on Amazon if you can wait 2 days). The Zanfel does help (at least me), but by no means a cure.
I used to have horrible systemic reaction to poison ivy which lasted for weeks. I had tried all kinds of home remedies and over the counter topical cream including the very expensive Zanfel with very little or slow relief.

One year when it got so bad I went to my doctor and was prescribed both Fluocinonide cream 0.05% and Prednisone pills. I was told that if the reaction had not became so severe, the cream itself should do the work.

The Fluocinonide cream 0.05% has been my wonder medication to deal with poison ivy. You can feel immediate relief after one day and the rashes disappear after few days.

I used to buy it through my insurance online prescription program but in the last few years, for whatever reasons, the prices had gone up from something like $3/tube (which lasts for at least a year) to $15-$20. I found that Walmart, Target and few other places have Fluocinode cream 0.05% in their $4 generic medications program so I just get the prescription from the doctor and buy it locally.

Bottom line is that I highly recommend get prescription for the Fluocinonide cream 0.5% (the brand name is Lidex). It is much cheaper and much more effective than Zanfel.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:54 AM

72,949 posts, read 56,146,582 times
Just got over Poison Ivy after 2 weeks. Got hit bad. Everyday of my life I avoid it. Walk around it, don't go near it, stare at it from distance, wear protective clothing, wash hands area fast..........but 2 weeks ago I was wee whacking with shorts on and I had a mental lapse. I thought I'd just get rid of it with the machine.
Sadly.. I did that 2 yrs ago and got hit.

I kept weed whacking for another 5 minutes then decided to use the leaf blower for 25 minutes.

Came inside, showered and scrubbed good. Too late.

That night my eye was itching, right away I went to use the oil cleanser on it and around my face...
Woke up at 2am and my eye was swelling shut and my legs were itchy. I knew that was the very beginning of a long battle.

Took 1 Benadryl, put Clear Caladryl on it and baby powder and went to sleep. Woke up, eye did not swell shut anymore but you can see the slight rash appearing.

Bubbles kept appearing for days on end. Kept same routine, Caladryl, Baby Power, Benadryl.

LUCKY NOTHING SHOWED UP ON MY FACE. Thanks to the oil cleanser and Benadryl. It was showing up on my neck and forehead a bit.

My legs got it bad. My right arm as well. Benadryl helped with the itching. Baby Powder helped keep skin dry. NO SUN. Shower every 2-3 days. Have to keep it dry!

By day 5 I didn't care... I started scratching like there was no tomorrow. Man it felt great!!!! I was using a back scratcher.

Day 10 itching stopped

Day 13 Bumps and Rashes pretty much gone.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 AM

7,354 posts, read 9,167,982 times
The active ingredient in Glyphosate per se is not toxic at any time to mammals.

However, in order to prepare the concentrated form and also in order to help the solution stick to the leaves there is a small amount of a detergent-like chemical that is in the stuff you buy. A very tiny amount. If you apply the glyphosate at the dilution recommended the detergent won't be a problem. If you use a lot more than recommended, and your goat ate a ton of leaves just after you sprayed it might have a small digestive effect, but even that isn't likely. So bottom line, goats can go in whenever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden