U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times

Advertisements

I tried google image search and about the closest I can find is penstemon but I'm not sure. it is planted at the entrance to my neighborhood and has to be deer resistant and tolerate full sun.
Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 AM

2,454 posts, read 2,821,385 times
Diascia, maybe?

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Diascia, Twinspur Diascia 'Hannah Rose'

Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks but I'm sure it is an annual as they rip everything out right at the first frost. I would think perennials - it is a mass planting- would be too expensive. Also we are in zone 7b/8a so the zones for that wouldn't work but it is about the right height.

any other guesses? You can see in the picture there seems to be a stalk almost like a lilly but no way is it a lily.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:20 PM

20,988 posts, read 9,568,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks but I'm sure it is an annual as they rip everything out right at the first frost. I would think perennials - it is a mass planting- would be too expensive. Also we are in zone 7b/8a so the zones for that wouldn't work but it is about the right height.

any other guesses? You can see in the picture there seems to be a stalk almost like a lilly but no way is it a lily.
Although the flowers are not exactly like the penstemons I grow, the buds, foliage and growth habit are very penstemon-like. There are annual penstemons. Also, there are perennials that bloom their first year from seed which are used as annuals for garden purposes. It's no more expensive to grow a flat of perennial seedlings than of annual seedlings.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,643,475 times
This is not my week for plant ID's, or maybe I've forgotten half of everything I know in my old age. I don't know what your flower is.

Are you convinced they're an annual? The plant itself looks more like a perennial. Have you rummaged around to see if there's some kind of bulb/tuber/dense root nodes down there?

But they are beautiful and I would grow them.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks all. I'll call the HOA and get the phone number of the landscape company which planted them. They certainly are beautiful and i want some for my own garden. The deer haven't messed with them and that , along with the striking color and growth habit, make them premium to me. I'll let you know.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,486,406 times
It looks like angelonia. Pointy shiny leaves, and snap dragon looking flowers. I've never grown it, but supposedly it makes an awesome annual.

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants...a-angustifolia

Old 06-26-2015, 02:52 PM

17,691 posts, read 11,249,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
It looks like angelonia. Pointy shiny leaves, and snap dragon looking flowers. I've never grown it, but supposedly it makes an awesome annual.

yup-that gets my vote!

good one, kinkytoes.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
could it be some kind of hollyhock? Doesn't look like the traditional one but there are a lot new ones and they might be an annual in your zone.
No, not a hollyhock. These flowers don't have the central columnar pistil that hollyhocks and their relatives have.

They do appear to have the anther arrangement that penstemons and their relatives have - some of the anthers pressed against the top lip, the others pressed against the bottom - although the photo doesn't really show that in complete detail.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Looks like the very thing to me too!

Makes sense that an HOA would be planting Proven Winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or