Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

I love the look of these grasses. What should I be aware of before I decide to plant one or two in our NC clay?

Will they grow as container plants?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Pampas grass is one of the most invasive of all of it's type. It's actually banned in many areas or communities. Once established it re-seeds profusively and is difficult to eradicate. During the winter months it goes dormant, turns an ugly bown and generally needs to be cut down annually to keep the mess it leaves from spreading.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Pampas grass is one of the most invasive of all of it's type. It's actually banned in many areas or communities. Once established it re-seeds profusively and is difficult to eradicate. During the winter months it goes dormant, turns an ugly bown and generally needs to be cut down annually to keep the mess it leaves from spreading.
I think it's decorative even dried and brown in winter as it waves so gracefully back and forth in the wind. I've heard it needs to be cut back each year, but I don't see anyone doing that. Also, I've heard that it is difficult to control, yet anywhere that I see it it looks clean and neat.

I wouldn't want something that takes constant work to maintain, though.

Intersting that you mention "invasive". I've seen these documentaries about invasive plants in NC and the damage they can do to the native landscape. It's important that people give this some thought before they buy something simply because they think it's attractive.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,242 times
I had some of this between my house and my neighbors when I lived in va. Personally I did not care for it. (mainly because of the placement and how tall it gets) but it wasnt that difficult to take care of. We cut it back once a year. Thats it. oh! we also had clay soil.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
When I lived in NC we had it.The stuff gets big fast.I don't have it here in Fl. the folks next door do and they don't take care of it and its a mess and out of hand.It looks best trimmed back just before spring.I also like the pink flower over the white.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
I don't think this ornamental grass is considered invasive. It can be planted in large containers. There are a few varieties, including a dwarf one that stays 3' or so in a container, but some of them get HUGE. They should be cut back in early spring, but people don't do it because the leaves are so sharp. They can easily cut your skin.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM

132 posts, read 596,497 times
Nitrum is right SUPER Invasive!!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Here in the desert area of AZ they grow like crazy, 9 months out of the year, invasively spread their seeds and create havoc all over. Most HOA's here in AZ won't allow these messy plants to be planted.
If it's not native and not controled in a pot, don't plant it.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Nitrum is right SUPER Invasive!!
What is nitrum? The question was about pampas grass in NC.

Cortaderia selloana

Not invasive here.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here in the desert area of AZ they grow like crazy, 9 months out of the year, invasively spread their seeds and create havoc all over. Most HOA's here in AZ won't allow these messy plants to be planted.
If it's not native and not controled in a pot, don't plant it.
What does a pot have to do with a plant that spreads through seed?

And the question was referring to NC. It is not invasive here. It is sold and planted all over the place without a problem. There are 3 or 4 on my block, they are at the gas station down the street, in front of offices downtown (I'm in Greenville, SC). They are quite beautiful, ubiquitous and impressive here.

The problems people have here are that they don't cut them back in the spring (or fall if you do not like the winter look of them), or split them when they have gotten too fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden