U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 AM

17,691 posts, read 11,249,349 times

Advertisements

wow, Dragonslayer-those are awesome.

curious tho'. A bonsai is not a typical gift for a 23 year old. Did you ask for one? Was it just a serandipity thing that started something good? A lemon on the part of the giver that turned into lemonade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
So beautiful and I'm jealous of your climate. Even though we don't usually have harsh winters, I think the humidity and heat would not be good for bonsai here but who knows.
Thanks for taking those pictures and enjoy your wonderful hobby.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,584,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So beautiful and I'm jealous of your climate. Even though we don't usually have harsh winters, I think the humidity and heat would not be good for bonsai here but who knows.
Thanks for taking those pictures and enjoy your wonderful hobby.
I'm a moderator for an international bonsai forum, and we have many members in your area. It's a matter of using locally native trees or taking additional precautions, with some additional costs and time required to keep bonsai that are not happy in a climate. For example, my Coast Live Oak came from Coastal Central California and would die in our winters here without additional protection.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wow, Dragonslayer-those are awesome.

curious tho'. A bonsai is not a typical gift for a 23 year old. Did you ask for one? Was it just a serandipity thing that started something good? A lemon on the part of the giver that turned into lemonade?
I was already doing miniature furniture and expressed an interest in doing bonsai to go with a miniature house. I have been a gardener since I was 8 with my own garden space. It was from my spouse of 4 years at the time and next month on July 20th will be our 36th year together.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm a moderator for an international bonsai forum, and we have many members in your area. It's a matter of using locally native trees or taking additional precautions, with some additional costs and time required to keep bonsai that are not happy in a climate. For example, my Coast Live Oak came from Coastal Central California and would die in our winters here without additional protection.
We are nice and mild on the north coast of California, while everyone else is roasting at near or over 100º we may top out in the upper 70's with humidity typically 60% or higher. My bonsai are under my Monterey cypress that I started summer of 92, it gives them plenty of protection from freezing in the winter or heat from the summer sun. Our biggest issue is salt air and its corrosive power on everything. It limits the growth of redwood trees to the height of any other highest trees close to it, then their tops get scorched and malformed. I have an olive I got from a friend in 1985 that is still in a large pot, it does not get warm enough for it to bloom here or set fruit if it does.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 PM

8,538 posts, read 4,649,211 times
I always have had a few bonsai trees that I started out from nursery stock. My oldest and best was a nicely formed juniper that was 21 years old. My others were not hardy enough or had some other problems and didn't survive much more than a few years. I have a couple indoor trees that do fairly well but aren't really bonsai.

When I moved from the humid Midwest to the NM desert I expected some climate problems and was very careful in getting the trees moved. When I arrived I carefully set them out and made plans for setting up a sheltered spot for them the next day. That first night the rabbits and desert mice came and ate the leaves and bark on all but my old juniper. Heartbroken, I started pampering the juniper to such a degree that I overwatered it and it didn't survive. The desert sun will burn up a bonsai in about a day if it isn't sheltered. Now I'm starting over with a weeping form elm (elevated out of the reach of the rabbits) and a mountain juniper and a few other conifers. At this stage they are just getting used to being confined in a pot and I'll see what happens over the winter.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,584,816 times
Creatures can be a pain. In my case it's the squirrels knocking over some of the smaller trees, but we have rain so often that they can survive even if I don't catch it for a day or two. My very first is a rose that rooted on it's own from a pruned cutting that fell and stuck in the ground over winter back in the 1980s. When I saw it and the roots in spring I potted it up. Currently the trunk is 2" at the base, about 8" tall, and in all these years it's never flowered, but the leaves are tiny. For anyone that's ever up to Seattle for vacation, stop in Bremerton at Elandan Gardens. The owner, Dan Robinson is a well known bonsai artist. I have learned a lot from him, and have worked on a few of his trees as a volunteer. His passion is for creating the look of what nature does to trees with wind, snow, disease and pests. He was the first to do a demo at a big exhibit using power tools. I have a die grinder and a dremel that I use for carving on my trees.

Elandan Gardens/Museum

Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM

26,374 posts, read 30,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love bonsai. I tried it a few times but don't have the patience. Have you ever tried bonsai?

https://www.facebook.com/Myscienceac...type=1&theater
Here's more on the tree, NK.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7ae_story.html

Old 11-03-2015, 11:57 PM

6,386 posts, read 7,434,173 times
My father had a lovely, tranquil bonzai garden under a pergola. He had about twenty, several he had inherited from an old guy 20-30 years earlier. Those might have been 50-60 years old. My Dad would trim and shape them over years.

They were - spectacular!

He passed away and I inhereted the garden. I moved it to a special part of my patio. I was SO happy.

I killed every last one inside of a month. They just up and died. I even hired a bonzai guy but he was too late.

I guess they just missed my Dad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden