U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times

Advertisements

I always wanted a wildflower meadow and this year we did it. The sunny strip between our house and the woods. had it rototilled only 3-4 inches in serpentine shape and spread Deer Resistant mix from American Wildflower.
First picture is marking out the shape I wanted.

Interim shot

This week

from our dining room window

Lots of butterflies

Bouquet made up mostly of flowers from the Wildflower Meadow

some salvia, crocosmia, butterfly bush and purple fountain grass mixed in with zinnias from wildflower meadow.

All in all I'm very pleased and can't wait to see what happens next year when the biennials and perennials come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 AM

205 posts, read 241,261 times
Wow! Nice!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 PM

7,734 posts, read 13,640,778 times
NK, I love the wildflowers!! I have a very large back yard (probably 60% of a 1.29-acre lot) -- I have basically done nothing with it, have been concentrating on the front (as you know!). The back yard is basically a perfect Southern exposure so gets a LOT of sun. Do you think I could do wildflowers out there? Seems like they would make a really nice perimeter!

Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Sounds like the perfect place. Here is video from the folks who sold the seed mix. The only thing a lot fo folks don't like is that you really shouldn't mow it- you have to let it go to seed so you will get more each successive year. They make mixes for every region, sun situation and deer resistant ones too.. You have said you have deer in the back so I would start with this mix. Fall sowing is possible too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjgVeHxYzD0

Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 PM

205 posts, read 241,261 times
The garden is not done yet. We're still getting peppers, tomatoes, beans, and a squash now and then. It has been a very good year...we are thankful.

The collage would make a good puzzle....
Attached Thumbnails
My North Carolina Garden 2015-collage.jpg  

Old 08-17-2015, 07:47 PM

425 posts, read 416,969 times
No Kudzu, I really enjoyed seeing this meadow. When I was at the nursery the other day, I asked if zinnia's would be perennials in my zone, (5b) and unfortunately they are annuals. I am getting a little down because I am running out of room in my current beds. Although, I went to an amazing botanical gardens (Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens) and went out and bought some sea holly and some hyperion day lilies. Then, I saw some beautiful red cone flowers (salsa) and some "hot papaya" cone flowers, so I bought 6! I am finding a space here and there, but I know these beds are getting maxed out. On the other hand, gardening tasks are always there, so even if I can't plant much, there is always stuff to do. It has been 90 or close to it these past 2 days, - I don't know how you can take it in NC. I was barely just able to water my pots and had to go back inside.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM

yes it was 93 today but really this summer we haven't gotten any 100s like we usually do.
I don't think zinnias are perennials anywhere. if you let them go to seed then you will continually have new flowers every year so that means no deadheading and sadly, I will have to stop cutting daily bouquets to bring inside so there will be many to go to seed for next year. The cardinalis are showing up more and more. Beautiful in the garden but not such good cut flowers.

Beautiful cherry tomatoes on the vine and even though much is slowing down I still have a half decent show.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 AM

4,995 posts, read 6,756,384 times
Beautiful! You live in such a great area for gardening with not only the selection of garden shops, but having Duke Gardens, the JC Raulston Arboretum, among other gardens. I get up there a few times a year and gardens and plant shopping are the highlights of any trip!!!

Love the iris! I've started "collecting" them too.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 AM

You need to add Tony Avent's open houses to your list as well. A true Delight.

Plant Delights Nursery | An Online Nursery that is the best place to buy new plants online for your garden

Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM

some of my cherry tomatoes

From the half price bin at Lowes- Star Gazers

Blackberry Lily. I'll scatter some seed in the wildflower meadow.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or