U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 PM

72,949 posts, read 56,146,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Do you put gypssum or anything for calcium?
I don't but I use crushed eggshells. Just sprinkle some onto the soil and mix in. Calcium is good if you have BER.. If you don't, then you probably don't have to worry.

Also... if you're comparing 1 plant vs the 2 you have in 1 bucket .. It's never the best comparison because each plant can grow differently even if same variety. Don't care what anyone else says.. 2 plants in a 5 Gallon is too much. You will get more yields with 1 plant and most likely healthier. Keep us posted how it works out for you. Don't forget holes at the bottom of the bucket!

Also.. You will find they wont last long. In ground will always out grow potted ones. Experience is the best to observe this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:32 PM

35,140 posts, read 44,957,937 times
I've had good luck with these:

Amazon.com: Felt Fabric Planter Grow Bag - 10-1/2" Diameter and 12" High - Allows Air Circulation and Water Aeration: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have a garden but over the years it has lost the sun so I now put a couple tomatoes or peppers in one of these and interplant a couple cucumbers. Put a cage around them and everything grows up.

I know I'm not supposed to do it (or so I was told by an "expert" here) but I plant in all processed compost. Don't have to mess much with fertilizers or additives for calcium or whatnot.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 PM

8,162 posts, read 13,634,310 times
Had a friend who had a tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket. Also planted leaf lettuce around the edge inside the bucket. Called it her salad bucket.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:46 AM

3,389 posts, read 2,302,755 times
For the calcium in eggshell to be useful as calcium for a plant, it has to be chelated.
Get a glass jar with a lid that you poked one hole into top (to vent) and place crushed eggshells in. Now pour regular white vinegar over the shells. In a few weeks, the shells will break down into useful calcium. When they are completely dissolved, mix them into compost.
It's a misnomer that raw eggshells add calcium, and they take forever to break down if you don't use the vinegar method.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM

450 posts, read 339,722 times
I use a coffee grinder on my eggs shells. I reduce it to a fine powder and then add a table spoon of that into the hole I place the plant along with some comfrey leaves.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
no matter what we do we cannot completely protect our crops.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:01 PM

4,641 posts, read 5,786,499 times
^^^^

We can't on the West Coast either....snarl, snarl, snarl.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 9,896 times
In my experience it is really all about trimming them appropriately if you are working with space constraints. I've fit 2 plants comfortable in a 5 gallon pot, but they won't produce if you don't aggressively trim them and provide plenty of support via a trellis of some kind. i do this same thing with my normal in-ground garden and get lots of fruit from a tiny plot.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

75,625 posts, read 88,346,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no matter what we do we cannot completely protect our crops.
so cute, as long as it is your yard and not ours. Just a couple days ago, we were reading the paper and looking outside. There in our tomatoes, even though they are in containers was a rabbit and in our pepper plants were 2 squirrels. We have almost no leaves left on the peppers, but still have a few blossoms.Apparently they do not like the serrano and jalapenos as well, as they have a few more leaves.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:56 PM

4,826 posts, read 6,255,843 times
I grow my tomatoes here in Portland Oregon in 15 gallon buckets that I can move around to take advantage of the sun.

I take the 15 gallon container (get them from plant nurseries--cheap), fill the bottom 6" with gravel, use good earth, with composted chicken manure, only put two plants in each container, and use very heavy duty tomato cages to support them.

I water well, and feed them with good fertilizer about once a month.
This year has been a really hot, dry, sunny summer with 25 days over 95°F, and I have bumper crops of tomatoes.
Thank God I didn't grow any cherry tomatoes this year!

I like the short season varieties like Early Girls etc.
Types like Big Boy tomatoes don't do super well here, the season is just not long enough or hot enough.

I did put two "Mortgage Lifter" heirloom tomatoes in one 15 gallon bucket, and it was just to much.
I had to remove one of them, so I guess the variety of tomato plays a big part in how many you can plant together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or