Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM

10 posts, read 19,772 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a new home a year ago and had some landscaping problems. Deer got into many of my trees close to my house and I'm hoping they come back, other shrubs were hit with winter burn and may be slowly coming back. In the front of my house I had have some shrubs that I like, but I could use help identifying them as I think they are starting to show some problems. I would appreciate any input I can get.

The first attachment is this blue green circular shrub. It's somewhat picky and all of a sudden more of these brown spots are appearing toward the bottom of the tree, was thinking it might have been from rock salt but not sure why they are starting to come out in july, we have been getting fair rain, been spraying with ortho bug be gone all of my plants once in june, had all of the plants re mulched in the spring after a harsh winter. I do spray weed killer that is safe for grass around the area perhaps a foot from the plant, grass clippings may end up on nearby mulch a few days to a week later but I do not hit plant directly. Any input would be appreciated. Also should I try to completely cut out brown spots or just leave them alone
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0507.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM

This is my second set of plants all seem to be the same kind of shrub on both sides of my driveway (1 big and 1 small on each side), the first 2 attachments are flattering angles for identification, the last 2 show problem areas in the plants. They all seem to be developing brown tips at random points on the plants, if you grab those areas they needles pull rights off. The smallest (size of a basketball) has some spots that look ashy on inside and a tip or two on the outside. Again looking for any input on what plants these might be and how to proceed with trying to save them. Thank you very much I appreciate the help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0508.jpg   Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0512.jpg   Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0510.jpg   Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0509.jpg  

Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcher31 View Post
I recently moved into a new home a year ago and had some landscaping problems. Deer got into many of my trees close to my house and I'm hoping they come back, other shrubs were hit with winter burn and may be slowly coming back. In the front of my house I had have some shrubs that I like, but I could use help identifying them as I think they are starting to show some problems. I would appreciate any input I can get.

The first attachment is this blue green circular shrub. It's somewhat picky and all of a sudden more of these brown spots are appearing toward the bottom of the tree, was thinking it might have been from rock salt but not sure why they are starting to come out in july, we have been getting fair rain, been spraying with ortho bug be gone all of my plants once in june, had all of the plants re mulched in the spring after a harsh winter. I do spray weed killer that is safe for grass around the area perhaps a foot from the plant, grass clippings may end up on nearby mulch a few days to a week later but I do not hit plant directly. Any input would be appreciated. Also should I try to completely cut out brown spots or just leave them alone
This one looks like a severely tortured colorado blue spruce. I believe there are some dwarf and/or weeping forms, but in its native state, it is a tall forest tree. Do you have a special fondness for it? Because were it mine, I'd take it out.

The brown branches will eventually be shed.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcher31 View Post
This is my second set of plants all seem to be the same kind of shrub on both sides of my driveway (1 big and 1 small on each side), the first 2 attachments are flattering angles for identification, the last 2 show problem areas in the plants. They all seem to be developing brown tips at random points on the plants, if you grab those areas they needles pull rights off. The smallest (size of a basketball) has some spots that look ashy on inside and a tip or two on the outside. Again looking for any input on what plants these might be and how to proceed with trying to save them. Thank you very much I appreciate the help!!
The second picture (0512) is definitely a juniper, I believe the others are various forms of arbor vitae and/or cedars or cypresses.

Looks to me like a previous owner had a fondness for small evergreens.

In my opinion, there was some drift from your weed killer, damaging your shrubs.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Interesting, if it is supposed to grown to a point then the poor thing has been tortured. I was under the impression it is supposed to be round as its filled in completely up top with no stump showing. I would like to keep it as it looks much nicer in person than it does in the picture and adds a bit of character, plus I already dropped too much on the landscapers mulching, edging, pruning earlier in the year. I have a lot of dear eaten plants on the sides of my house I may have the pull/replace first. Should I just cut out the brown spots, or let it happen on its own?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Appreciate the input btw

Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Last set and actually the one im most worried about. I have two of these larger trees probably about 7 or 8 foot on each side of the driveway as well. Late last fall the insides have turned brown, the needles have never fallen off and it doesn't look like it's gotten any worse or better. The tips aren't effected. When I first got here they were possibly green or yellow, don't remember them being brown like this. Not sure if there is any saving this now. Oddly enough the landscapers never commented on them either when they mentioned our winter burned shrubs or the deer eaten ones closer the the house
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0398.jpg   Help me identify shrubs/tree and ailment-img_0513.jpg  

Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
The round blue one, are the needles prickly? If they are, it is a needle juniper, I have several of them and it is not uncommon for them to lose part of their foliage after going a bit brown. Sometimes the cause is spiders or moths and I have used bacillus thurengensis on them to disrupt their feeding cycle.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The round blue one, are the needles prickly? If they are, it is a needle juniper, I have several of them and it is not uncommon for them to lose part of their foliage after going a bit brown. Sometimes the cause is spiders or moths and I have used bacillus thurengensis on them to disrupt their feeding cycle.
Yes the needles are definitely prickly on the smaller blue one. I looked up junipers again and I think it is the juniperus squamata "blue star". Would something like ortho bug be gone also be safe/effective if it was moth or spider related? There were so many potential factors that might have been at play from a dry summer last summer, to a bad winter with heavy rock salt use on nearby sidewalks, to mulch being dug out and changed by landscapers, perhaps insects or disease or perhaps my bug spray is causing problems or grass clippings that were previously sprayed with weed spray are poisoning plants. I wasn't sure if spraying my plats with ortho bug be gone every other month was helping or hurting

Last edited by scorcher31; 07-07-2015 at 05:21 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Junipers are tricky. I think they are ugly, and they are not suited to every location. I'd just take them out and replace with something that is suited to the location. I am not a fan of pruned shrubs either, so if I were you I would replace with things that will not need to be pruned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden