U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times

Advertisements

July and August are a good time to start but , honestly, any time is fine unless the ground is frozen. I sometimes find the errant color mixed in a group and I dig it up to replant with its own kind. I might miss a bloom but the rhizome is still OK. There are lots of videos and article about how to divide all sorts of perennials, bulbs and rhizomes.

How to divide iris rhizomes - Projects: Propagating - gardenersworld.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM

15,896 posts, read 10,531,024 times
Question about those? My neighbor has a crap load of them. I don't think he will spare any, and I would like to plant them. As with tulip bulbs, can I buy them at Lowes as bulbs? I did hear that it is good to plant them in late summer for next year, so I was wondering. I'm just trying to fill in a bunch of bare space under the tree on my back patio and those would be perfect.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM

If he has that many I hope he knows he needs to divide the RHIZOMES (not bulbs) every 2-3 years or they will not bloom. Ask him if you can help him divide in exchange for some. Very simple to snap off everything from the "mother". I toss the mother. Do you have anything in your own garden to share?

I don't think I've ever seen iris rhizomes sold in the bulb section at big box stores but I have seen some potted up for sale.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:04 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,147,307 times
Thanks for the link but I need to do it but not until Sept when it's cooler I'm in zone 7/8 so I'm guessing that will be OK.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:20 PM

15,896 posts, read 10,531,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If he has that many I hope he knows he needs to divide the RHIZOMES (not bulbs) every 2-3 years or they will not bloom. Ask him if you can help him divide in exchange for some. Very simple to snap off everything from the "mother". I toss the mother. Do you have anything in your own garden to share?

I don't think I've ever seen iris rhizomes sold in the bulb section at big box stores but I have seen some potted up for sale.

Sadly I do not, and he already gave me some cannas. I guess I'll have to do some research. I may split 2 of my big hostas up into several small ones for ground cover, and dig out those crappy holly bushes that association planted. The hostas will grow in. Not to mention I already have them ringed around my patio area.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM

24,576 posts, read 31,998,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
..... can I buy them at Lowes as bulbs? .......
Take a few minutes to read up on how to dig and divide iris. Then put an ad in the garden section of Craigslist that you will divide and care for iris plants for free. I've obtained some iris that way.

Now I have lots of iris and I will run an ad on craigslist stating that I have iris in these colors and I want to trade for those colors. You have to get your own iris beds established before you can do this.

I really like iris, so I spend the money to order named varieties of iris from the iris farms. Some of them are a bit expensive, but you can still get really nice ones for $5 a rhizome. I look for colors that I like in varieties with lots of ruffles. I specialize in blues and purples, but I have a few peach colored ones that I really like.

Once I have the iris that I paid money for, the rhizomes spread quickly, so it is worth a few bucks to get the one I want.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:39 PM

Ordering iris: I recommend Schreiners Iris Gardens in Salem Oregon.

Blue J Iris has the easiest to use catalog, for picking out what you want. However, I've had mixed results ordering from them. One order was excellent and the next one wasn't nearly as good. YMMV. Still, their catalog is divided by color and has good photos to see what you might like.

What I've seen of iris rhizomes in the big box stores is that they look too dried out. They aren't ever a good enough bargain price to risk trying to grow a damaged plant.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM

no kudzu, my gardening always runs a little behind the rest of the country (weather), but I will be digging up and moving a hundred or so iris in a couple of weeks. They are headed for the coast.

No one seems to have iris on the coast, so I thought maybe they wouldn't grow there. But I spotted one little bearded iris with a lovely flower about a block from my house. If that neighbor can grow an iris, maybe I can too.

I've got some yellows that are so tough you couldn't kill them with a blow torch, so those get to be the experimental iris. If those will grow and flower there, I will start moving some that aren't quite as tough.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Good luck. I didn't even think there was a place iris wouldn't grow. They are pretty hardy..at least they have been in my 40+ years of gardening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden