U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 PM

5,185 posts, read 3,857,647 times

Advertisements

Once a week I hoe the weeds in a 60'x60' plot which was one of my late wife's flower gardens. I'm harvesting dirt ... that's right, dirt. The primary reason for the dirt is to repair the damage done by the snow removal guy. You see, he uses a humongous front-end loader regardless of snow depth, and often goes off the driveway -- even though it's well-identified with orange stakes -- and digs up sod. His machine is just too big for residential snow removal. (Looks like he's 15' up in the air in the cab.)

A secondary reason for the dirt is to periodically fill-in depressions from the hundreds of trees I removed. However, this is minor and not really necessary. The main reason as I said is the snow removal damage.

Weekly weed chopping is a pain, but it beats these alternatives I can think of:

1) Ask him to be more careful or whether he has smaller snow removal equipment. However, this guy won't take anything resembling criticism. You have to walk on egg shells around him.

2) Get someone else. I used others for years but they weren't reliable even though the fee has ranged $200-$1,200 per snowfall. The guy I use now is always reliable. He owns the farm just across the road and always shows up just after the last flake has fallen.

3) Do it myself. This would entail buying a larger pickup with special suspension and transmission, lower MPG, and the hassle of putting on/removing the blade, a job I've never done and at age 71, wonder if I can handle. The worse thing though is the need for snow chains. About 1/2 of my driveway is a pretty steep hill. I don't have the wherewithal or facilities to put on/take off chains.

4) Walk behind snow blower. Not sure if this is feasible for a 700 ft. driveway. Besides, I understand that they don't do well in wet snow.

Hence, the dirt garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,372,736 times
#2 Shop around, and set the rules before the winter wonderland begins. I push snow,and it can be very tight when dealing with a particular driveway. If I don't like what I see, I refuse the job.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 4,110,658 times
Calvert,
Throw seed on the dirt. Now you have grass instead of weeds.
Don't worry about it so much.
Think of it this way, at least you will know this coming winter you will
be able to get out of your driveway, because you have a reliable plower.
So, this fall, go buy yourself some good seed.
And hope you don't get snow this year. LOL

Old 07-14-2015, 05:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 3,857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Calvert,
Throw seed on the dirt. Now you have grass instead of weeds.
Don't worry about it so much.
Think of it this way, at least you will know this coming winter you will
be able to get out of your driveway, because you have a reliable plower.
So, this fall, go buy yourself some good seed.
And hope you don't get snow this year. LOL
I don't need to buy grass seed. A significant portion of the weeds are grass weeds. A weed is any undesirable plant, and if they get established it's hard to dig up the soil needed to fill in the holes. Nice weeded, loose top soil is so much easier to work with. Like shoveling up coffee grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or