U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:08 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,327,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Have never tried white eggplant before. I accidentally picked the plant up without reading complete label. But later I learned they are creamier and tastes better. So now can't wait for the plant to produce more fruits for me to try it out.

I have fall off problem with my other plants too such as peppers and I did see some tomato flowers, but they have dried out now. Haven't seen any tomatoes yet. I am new to vegetable gardening so not sure where I am going wrong. I thought it could be me watering daily, so now I water every alternate days.
Plants that blossom will often sacrifice their flowers to harness their energy to better survive extreme heat, cold, etc. (environmental stresses), during and shortly after transplanting and/or when they are not pollinated properly. Even when you do everything right, sometimes the blossoms drop or the setting fruit don't make it. All part of the process. Do not worry so much about the plants losing their blossoms, especially with the heat and humidity you're experiencing. It is VERY common and nothing is wrong with your plants. My pepper plants have dropped countless blossoms for God only knows what reason(s), but are still completely covered in peppers. Continue your feeding and watering and wait for the weather to cool. Your plants will surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM

483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Plants that blossom will often sacrifice their flowers to harness their energy to better survive extreme heat, cold, etc. (environmental stresses), during and shortly after transplanting and/or when they are not pollinated properly. Even when you do everything right, sometimes the blossoms drop or the setting fruit don't make it. All part of the process. Do not worry so much about the plants losing their blossoms, especially with the heat and humidity you're experiencing. It is VERY common and nothing is wrong with your plants. My pepper plants have dropped countless blossoms for God only knows what reason(s), but are still completely covered in peppers. Continue your feeding and watering and wait for the weather to cool. Your plants will surprise you.
This gives me some relief. The flower of the eggplant drop off and I noticed for some of my plants, the old leaves are dying and falling off, but at the same time it's getting new stems and leaves. Could be transplanting shock and weather. Am going to ignore that for couple of weeks more and if that still continues to happen, then I will have to feed them with some liquid solution like magnesium, nitrogen and other stuff which each plant needs.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,269,960 times
leave it outside it needs the sun and warmth.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,327,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
This gives me some relief. The flower of the eggplant drop off and I noticed for some of my plants, the old leaves are dying and falling off, but at the same time it's getting new stems and leaves. Could be transplanting shock and weather. Am going to ignore that for couple of weeks more and if that still continues to happen, then I will have to feed them with some liquid solution like magnesium, nitrogen and other stuff which each plant needs.
Do just that. Older leaves will begin to yellow and brown - just remove them so your plants are not wasting energy on them. I prune lightly on a constant (daily) basis - I remove any old/deteriorating growth and thin dense pockets of foliage to allow better air flow and prevent issues related to excessive moisture. With the number of plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, squash, etc.) I'm growing this season, I prune enough to fill two 5-gallon buckets every other day. Established plants will respond very favorably to routine pruning; at least that's what I've found in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden