U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM

2,137 posts, read 2,530,979 times

Advertisements

First time homeowner after living my entire adult life in urban areas. I think I'm the only guy on the block that does diy landscaping.

I believe I'm getting patches of nutsedge on my lawn. I ordered a herbicide Sedge-ender I plan on spraying this weekend when I get it.

Any other tips on sedge management?
I'm tempted to manually pulling them up... in my internet research some say its ok, others say the left over tubers will just spread more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM

8,830 posts, read 11,718,097 times
Welcome to the wonderful world of nutsedge. If you are diligent the chemicals will kill it. That said, it won't be fast and it won't be easy and it will try your patience. Mt experience was digging did more harm than good. Just keep saturating the little trees and when they die off, di it again just to be sure.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,064,042 times
Welcome to the wonderful world of sedges.

Yellow nutsedge is the particular bane (well, one of many) of our lawn.

Though honestly, it finds its way into the flower beds (easy rooting there) more than the grass.

I use a spray specifically for nutsedge (don't remember which one, but availalbe at your local big box store and easily labeled). I think what's most disturbing is you can douse them with roundup (if you're not morally opposed to round up) and all they do is yellow.

Seriously, round up barely dents them.

I used to pull them up, because they pull up rather easily... unfortunately, I found that any tiny root particle left in the ground just leads to more plants.. so spraying (the spray will circulate and should kill the root) is really the only effective way.

Also - I believe clover is related to sedges, and not suprisingly - it is also quite hard to eradicate. Unless you want an entire lawn of clover, don't let clover get too established, because it will take over and out compete your existing grass ... then when you finally kill the clover you'll be left with nothing.

Enjoy your new DIY hobby!!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:53 AM

7,352 posts, read 9,163,957 times
(Just FYI, clover has no relation to nutsedge except that they are both plants.)

Looked up the mode of action of the ingredients in Sedge Ender and noticed both ingredients are pre-emergents, which means you had better apply it as soon as you see any hint of nutsedges in your lawn since it only will prevent the growth of new plants not old ones.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 1,455,345 times
I've used this product (Available at just about any big box home improve store) with huge success with that pain in the rear end nutsedge over the years.

Weed Killer & Weed Control for Killing Lawn Weeds with Weed Killers by Image

Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,064,042 times
apologies - you're right that clover and nutsedge are unrelated.. apparently I just got that in my head because the sedge killer I use (ortho) also can be used on clovers (which are similarly hard to eradicate from lawn).

The sedge spray I use is good for purple and yellow nutsedges (and many other listed lawn weeds) and is not a pre-emergent, but one that can be sprayed on actively growing plants and will kill them.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 AM

16,065 posts, read 33,334,069 times
I have the green kyllinga type everywhere around here, and the only thing I have found that puts a dent in it is the sedge control made by Bonide. I usually have to order it since no stores around here sell it.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Update on my novice adventures in landscaping.

I sprayed Sedge Ender on the problem areas, and the sedge pretty much died, and the grass is intact.

From my internet research, it seems eventually the sedge will grow back since there are underground nuts and tubers that are still alive.

Apparantely, it seems spraying horticultural molasses in the area will stimulate bacteria that will eventually consume the nuts, so I just ordered some Horticultural molasses and will start spraying that. Will see how that will work. Even if it doesn't work, I hear molasses is good for the soil anyway.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 AM

I acutally don't mind clovers on the lawn. I hate sedges, because they grow so much faster than everything else that it makes the lawn uneven only after 1-2 days of cutting the grass. The other weeds grow slowly after I mow the lawn, so it really doesn't bother me, but I am on a mission to kill all sedges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden