U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: USA
483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Reputation: 279

Advertisements

I planted some lemon seeds and I do see some leaves growing out. But from what I researched, it can take couple of years to get lemon on lemon tree. So I was thinking to buy Meyer lemon plant. I looked at the plants they had in Walmart, Home Depot and Whole foods but none of them had Meyer lemon plant. I have one nursery around whom I am going to call tomorrow.

- Where did you buy your Meyer lemon plant from?
- How was your experience with the plant... I mean does it live long?
- Also since I am in midwest, am worried about the winter snowy weather for it. Can it survive indoors during winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
20,988 posts, read 9,568,854 times
Reputation: 12872
I bought mine from a local nursery.

You may get plants from your seeds, but you won't be able to count on them producing good fruit. They're like any other fruit this way.

The meyer lemon is a hybrid between a lemon and, probably, an orange.

It's a long-lived plant if you can keep it happy. You will have to grow it in a container and bring it into the house during the winter. My climate is very different than yours, so I won't give you any advice - but here's a citrus nursery in Missouri - rollingridgenursery.com | in the heart of Old Downtown Webster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 07:38 PM
 
Location: USA
483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I bought mine from a local nursery.

You may get plants from your seeds, but you won't be able to count on them producing good fruit. They're like any other fruit this way.

The meyer lemon is a hybrid between a lemon and, probably, an orange.

It's a long-lived plant if you can keep it happy. You will have to grow it in a container and bring it into the house during the winter. My climate is very different than yours, so I won't give you any advice - but here's a citrus nursery in Missouri - rollingridgenursery.com | in the heart of Old Downtown Webster
Ahhh, wish they were in Kansas city area which is near to me. Looks like they just ship in around their county. Will still give them a call tomorrow and ask about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 07:41 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,584,816 times
Reputation: 35121
We drove one up that we got at a nursery when visiting in California, but have seen them here at local nurseries, the better ones. Here we have to bring them indoors during winter, but the one we got in April 2014 had blossoms already, and about mid-January we had 8 wonderful lemons. This year we put it outside in early May, and right now it has one large one, 6-8 small, and more blossoms. They do tend to get scale, so watch for that and treat right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 08:31 AM
 
Location: USA
483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Reputation: 279
What is the difference between lemon bushes and Meyer's lemon? All the nurseries around me have lemon bushes and not Meyer lemon.

I might will have to order it online. Any suggestions where should I order it from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,584,816 times
Reputation: 35121
The Meyer has a sweeter taste, almost sweet enough to eat rather than just use for cooking. Some people think it's been crossed with something sweeter, like an orange. There is nothing like the aroma of the blossoms, especially when I get some in in winter indoors. That means hand-pollinating but it's very easy. I don't know who to recommend online, other than Amazon which has several sizes. I would go with 3-4 year old for faster fruit production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 AM
 
4,287 posts, read 3,147,307 times
Reputation: 9564
I actually got mine at home depot. I don't think they have them all the time. I'm also much further south than you so that may be why I found it there.

I can't help on the winter care. I can leave mine outside most of the year and move it to the garage for a few days if we get several days that are below 30. I've got a little bit of a micro climate on my patio so I can also put it in a corner and cover it and it will do fine if it's around freezing or slightly below.

It produced a few lemons last year and has several growing on it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 AM
 
Location: USA
483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I actually got mine at home depot. I don't think they have them all the time. I'm also much further south than you so that may be why I found it there.

I can't help on the winter care. I can leave mine outside most of the year and move it to the garage for a few days if we get several days that are below 30. I've got a little bit of a micro climate on my patio so I can also put it in a corner and cover it and it will do fine if it's around freezing or slightly below.

It produced a few lemons last year and has several growing on it now.
Am exactly in Overland Park and the Home Depot I have around didn't had any lemon trees... Will still go and checkout. Called at Lowe's and they sold it a month ago... Most of them doesn't have it now is because they said the season is over. They get it in spring and I am shopping late... .

Last week I went for buying plant seeds to Walmart and learnt they sent them back. Even seeds are there on for Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 AM
 
Location: USA
483 posts, read 1,165,699 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Meyer has a sweeter taste, almost sweet enough to eat rather than just use for cooking. Some people think it's been crossed with something sweeter, like an orange. There is nothing like the aroma of the blossoms, especially when I get some in in winter indoors. That means hand-pollinating but it's very easy. I don't know who to recommend online, other than Amazon which has several sizes. I would go with 3-4 year old for faster fruit production.
I guess I haven't tasted them yet than... The lemons I have always used tastes sour and is used for cooking. But would love to try them. I looked at Amazon and shipping charges are too high for me if I order stuff online.

I did call another nursery around and the lady on phone seem confused with Meyer lemon and said she mostly has it. Planning to go and check. Else will wait for next spring and will buy other available fruit plants now.

Also thanks for all the info about lemon plant. Learning a lot from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,314 posts, read 1,160,829 times
Reputation: 4097
I received a bunch of these lemons a couple months ago and they make some goooood lemonade. I've always wanted to grow a fruit tree but if something gets taller than me I get intimidated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top