Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It frustrates me no end to see and hear this all the time. Sure it will kill the plant parts you see but NOT THE ROOT. So what good is that? The plant comes back in time.
Why do you care how other people tend to their yards and gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
She cares because she does not want people to be mislead into wasting their time and energy without getting the result they were looking for. I think she has good intentions, just letting people know that there are other opinions and other evidence that should be looked at. Knowledge is power, as they say.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
All my mother every used was warm salt water. Worked fine!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Those of you who've pointed out that hand-pulling weeds can lead to germination of dormant seeds are completely correct, but I prefer removing them manually, because I'm not a fan of using Round-up or other commercial weed killers. If I'm absolutely in a crunch, and the weeds have gotten ahead of me, I'll use them sparingly, but I always return to hand weeding. It's very satisfying work.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
She cares because she does not want people to be mislead into wasting their time and energy without getting the result they were looking for. I think she has good intentions, just letting people know that there are other opinions and other evidence that should be looked at. Knowledge is power, as they say.
That's it exactly. Can't rep you again quite so soon.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Most home weed control adds more 'poison' to the environment than the miniscule amount of chemical in a well studied and well regulated commercial product. Vinegar is probably safe environmentally, but concentrated table salt and epsom salts are pollutants. Once you pollute the soil and water supply with salts, soaps, and such you have done the environment no favors.

At least the regulated chemicals get inactivated or destroyed by various means within a short time of encountering the environment. Long term soil and stream health is what nature is all about.
Well I would imagine vinegar is safe for the environment since humans ingest it on a regular basis. Would you be willing to down some Round Up(TM) to prove your point?

"Even though vinegar is an acid, it breaks down quickly in the soil and, therefore, is not likely to accumulate enough to affect soil pH for more than a few days."
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/vinegar.html

I've had luck with straight 9% vinegar in killing some weeds but not others.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why do you care how other people tend to their yards and gardens?
Too bad I can't give you more reps! No Kudzu that's nice you can put whatever chemicals you want in your own yard. In my yard, I mostly hand pull weeds or I use vinegar.

Guess what...just like with weed whacking...if you kill the top multiple times...the weed will die even if you don't kill the root. So if anyone else is dedicated to avoiding synthetic chemicals that leach into groundwater (i.e. glyphosate etc.)...do not be disheartened by this thread. You can spray the weeds more than one time. Vinegar can be used with success in concert with hand pulling, cutting and whacking of weeds.

When I moved in, my yard and woods were OVERRUN by invasive, non-native weeds. Even though I'd worked with volunteer groups in MD to get rid of weeds by using herbicide, I decided I did not want to use these chemicals where I live. There were MOUNTAINS of mile-a-minute, Japanese honeysuckle vines and shrubs, oriental bittersweet, garlic mustard, and tons of self-sown Rose of Sharon in the woods.

Now the yard has many fewer weeds, and I did not have to use round-up or similar chemicals to do it. I cut and hand-pulled weeds diligently--and I still do this--, I use VINEGAR, and I replaced weedy areas with natives suited to the soil and climate and/or mulch. There you go. Natural weed removal.

Even if you use chemicals (which IMO may be harmful). Guess what? You have to put down the same chemicals year after year after year. Vinegar has my vote.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Salt kills everything a bad choice

Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Well I would imagine vinegar is safe for the environment since humans ingest it on a regular basis. Would you be willing to down some Round Up(TM) to prove your point?

"Even though vinegar is an acid, it breaks down quickly in the soil and, therefore, is not likely to accumulate enough to affect soil pH for more than a few days."
Conquer Weeds with Vinegar?
Did I not say that vinegar was probably okay? Listen up though, vinegar is a case in point. Have you heard of Acetic Acid? Very caustic. You would never think of eating it, nor of dipping your fingers in it, right? Well vinegar is a solution of 95 parts water and 5 parts acetic acid. Surprise! When acetic acid is very dilute, you can eat it. When concentrated, it would kill you because of its caustic properties. Salts are the same way in the soil and indeed in the ocean. Very dilute = good. Very concentrated = deadly.

As far as round-up goes? You could drink some of it, EXCEPT that the soaps and stuff in the commercial mix that are what keeps it in solution would not be good for your digestion.

Glyphosate, the active ingredient in round-up, only kills organisms that have a specific plant enzyme. Animals, insects, butterflies are safe.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Did I not say that vinegar was probably okay? Listen up though, vinegar is a case in point. Have you heard of Acetic Acid? Very caustic. You would never think of eating it, nor of dipping your fingers in it, right? Well vinegar is a solution of 95 parts water and 5 parts acetic acid. Surprise! When acetic acid is very dilute, you can eat it. When concentrated, it would kill you because of its caustic properties. Salts are the same way in the soil and indeed in the ocean. Very dilute = good. Very concentrated = deadly.

As far as round-up goes? You could drink some of it, EXCEPT that the soaps and stuff in the commercial mix that are what keeps it in solution would not be good for your digestion.

Glyphosate, the active ingredient in round-up, only kills organisms that have a specific plant enzyme. Animals, insects, butterflies are safe.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden