U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,665 posts, read 62,572,662 times
Reputation: 56347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It frustrates me no end to see and hear this all the time. Sure it will kill the plant parts you see but NOT THE ROOT. So what good is that? The plant comes back in time.
Why do you care how other people tend to their yards and gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM
 
Location: NC
7,354 posts, read 9,167,982 times
Reputation: 15491
She cares because she does not want people to be mislead into wasting their time and energy without getting the result they were looking for. I think she has good intentions, just letting people know that there are other opinions and other evidence that should be looked at. Knowledge is power, as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Status: "Love being retired!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,162 posts, read 13,634,310 times
Reputation: 33684
All my mother every used was warm salt water. Worked fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 PM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 10,640,603 times
Reputation: 22784
Those of you who've pointed out that hand-pulling weeds can lead to germination of dormant seeds are completely correct, but I prefer removing them manually, because I'm not a fan of using Round-up or other commercial weed killers. If I'm absolutely in a crunch, and the weeds have gotten ahead of me, I'll use them sparingly, but I always return to hand weeding. It's very satisfying work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
Reputation: 47523
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
She cares because she does not want people to be mislead into wasting their time and energy without getting the result they were looking for. I think she has good intentions, just letting people know that there are other opinions and other evidence that should be looked at. Knowledge is power, as they say.
That's it exactly. Can't rep you again quite so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, Austin, Texas
3,736 posts, read 5,544,776 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Most home weed control adds more 'poison' to the environment than the miniscule amount of chemical in a well studied and well regulated commercial product. Vinegar is probably safe environmentally, but concentrated table salt and epsom salts are pollutants. Once you pollute the soil and water supply with salts, soaps, and such you have done the environment no favors.

At least the regulated chemicals get inactivated or destroyed by various means within a short time of encountering the environment. Long term soil and stream health is what nature is all about.
Well I would imagine vinegar is safe for the environment since humans ingest it on a regular basis. Would you be willing to down some Round Up(TM) to prove your point?

"Even though vinegar is an acid, it breaks down quickly in the soil and, therefore, is not likely to accumulate enough to affect soil pH for more than a few days."
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/vinegar.html

I've had luck with straight 9% vinegar in killing some weeds but not others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,473 posts, read 14,486,406 times
Reputation: 6454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why do you care how other people tend to their yards and gardens?
Too bad I can't give you more reps! No Kudzu that's nice you can put whatever chemicals you want in your own yard. In my yard, I mostly hand pull weeds or I use vinegar.

Guess what...just like with weed whacking...if you kill the top multiple times...the weed will die even if you don't kill the root. So if anyone else is dedicated to avoiding synthetic chemicals that leach into groundwater (i.e. glyphosate etc.)...do not be disheartened by this thread. You can spray the weeds more than one time. Vinegar can be used with success in concert with hand pulling, cutting and whacking of weeds.

When I moved in, my yard and woods were OVERRUN by invasive, non-native weeds. Even though I'd worked with volunteer groups in MD to get rid of weeds by using herbicide, I decided I did not want to use these chemicals where I live. There were MOUNTAINS of mile-a-minute, Japanese honeysuckle vines and shrubs, oriental bittersweet, garlic mustard, and tons of self-sown Rose of Sharon in the woods.

Now the yard has many fewer weeds, and I did not have to use round-up or similar chemicals to do it. I cut and hand-pulled weeds diligently--and I still do this--, I use VINEGAR, and I replaced weedy areas with natives suited to the soil and climate and/or mulch. There you go. Natural weed removal.

Even if you use chemicals (which IMO may be harmful). Guess what? You have to put down the same chemicals year after year after year. Vinegar has my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: southern california
58,457 posts, read 77,417,140 times
Reputation: 51988
Salt kills everything a bad choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM
 
Location: NC
7,354 posts, read 9,167,982 times
Reputation: 15491
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Well I would imagine vinegar is safe for the environment since humans ingest it on a regular basis. Would you be willing to down some Round Up(TM) to prove your point?

"Even though vinegar is an acid, it breaks down quickly in the soil and, therefore, is not likely to accumulate enough to affect soil pH for more than a few days."
Conquer Weeds with Vinegar?
Did I not say that vinegar was probably okay? Listen up though, vinegar is a case in point. Have you heard of Acetic Acid? Very caustic. You would never think of eating it, nor of dipping your fingers in it, right? Well vinegar is a solution of 95 parts water and 5 parts acetic acid. Surprise! When acetic acid is very dilute, you can eat it. When concentrated, it would kill you because of its caustic properties. Salts are the same way in the soil and indeed in the ocean. Very dilute = good. Very concentrated = deadly.

As far as round-up goes? You could drink some of it, EXCEPT that the soaps and stuff in the commercial mix that are what keeps it in solution would not be good for your digestion.

Glyphosate, the active ingredient in round-up, only kills organisms that have a specific plant enzyme. Animals, insects, butterflies are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,504 posts, read 46,040,583 times
Reputation: 47523
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Did I not say that vinegar was probably okay? Listen up though, vinegar is a case in point. Have you heard of Acetic Acid? Very caustic. You would never think of eating it, nor of dipping your fingers in it, right? Well vinegar is a solution of 95 parts water and 5 parts acetic acid. Surprise! When acetic acid is very dilute, you can eat it. When concentrated, it would kill you because of its caustic properties. Salts are the same way in the soil and indeed in the ocean. Very dilute = good. Very concentrated = deadly.

As far as round-up goes? You could drink some of it, EXCEPT that the soaps and stuff in the commercial mix that are what keeps it in solution would not be good for your digestion.

Glyphosate, the active ingredient in round-up, only kills organisms that have a specific plant enzyme. Animals, insects, butterflies are safe.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top