Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 PM

58 posts, read 57,814 times

Advertisements

the only thing I have not tried is a squirrel baffle. Anybody tried these? Do they work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I used a fence post, dug three feet down to hold it up, (so it is 5 feet tall to top of post) and made a funny little 'birdhouse.' I actually spread the seed on the platform. The platform is plywood and about 3 feet long and wide. I put a lip on it with open space in each corner to allow rain to drain, but hold seed on platform. Blue Jays, 2 species of wood peckers, cardinals, doves, and crows are all waiting for me each morning. I spread a little seed on the ground for the squirrels. They have never been able to access the platform, and I saw them try for a couple of weeks when it was first put in.
You could actually just put a regular bird feeder on the platform.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I used a fence post, dug three feet down to hold it up, (so it is 5 feet tall to top of post) and made a funny little 'birdhouse.' I actually spread the seed on the platform. The platform is plywood and about 3 feet long and wide. I put a lip on it with open space in each corner to allow rain to drain, but hold seed on platform. Blue Jays, 2 species of wood peckers, cardinals, doves, and crows are all waiting for me each morning. I spread a little seed on the ground for the squirrels. They have never been able to access the platform, and I saw them try for a couple of weeks when it was first put in.
You could actually just put a regular bird feeder on the platform.
WOW! You must have some really dumb squirrels! Little miss White ears that lives in my area would have that platform cleaned out in a matter of seconds.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
I do have the baffle but it isn't much of an issue anymore.

When we had our feeder over the top edge of our back slope they were able to jump up and eat until we ran out and scared them away. At that time the baffle didn't work at all.

I later moved the feeder up to level ground and made a rock surround for it, about 6 feet in diameter. We removed the grass first and it's bare earth. The birds drop many a seed intact so the squirrels just eat what falls and never even bother trying to get up there. I even have a chipmunk now too. He does try to climb the pole but slides down fast! SO funny.

Everyone is happy.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
hard to beat a squirrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnDwkclDcA

Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
We use the baffles on the feeders which work fine. Also bought the feeder which spins the squirrel in circles. This gives us a lot of laughs and even amuses our golden.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
WOW! You must have some really dumb squirrels! Little miss White ears that lives in my area would have that platform cleaned out in a matter of seconds.
I'll have you know that my squirrels are very educated...many are College Grads

Last edited by TerraDown; 08-09-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 AM
kwe

7 posts, read 8,234 times
spread some vaseline/petroleum jelly on the vertical pole... I have a metal pole and have been doing this for years. squirrels will try it once and then never again...have been doing this for years and the vaseline lasts all winter

Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Squirrel baffles definitely work. I've never seen one get around them. Just make sure it's high enough off the ground so they don't jump over it.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwe View Post
spread some vaseline/petroleum jelly on the vertical pole... I have a metal pole and have been doing this for years. squirrels will try it once and then never again...have been doing this for years and the vaseline lasts all winter
Didn't stop our squirrels at all. The same day I coated the pole, the squirrel made his way right up it.

We have a Droll Yankee "squirrel proof" feeder that does work well. But while I've managed to save the seed from them, they feast on the suet cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden