Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times

Advertisements

I wonder why that is? I have two large honeysuckle plants and they only smell at night.

During the day, I can walk up and put my nose right on a flower and not smell any odor. At night the wonderful fragrance of honeysuckle can be smelled on my deck 20 feet away from the plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
We had Jasmine we planted near patio at last house and they were the same. Now if you got close you could smell them but at night the smell seemed to drift with cooler air. Have to say honeysuckle here smells pretty strong in daylight as most are on fences and grew wild here. Get within 10-15 foot and the smell is strong. Perhaps its the variety just as New Orleans Jasmine were ones we settled for smell.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
At night the wonderful fragrance of honeysuckle can be smelled on my deck 20 feet away from the plants.
How wonderful indeed!

Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 PM

When I was a small child, my father planted a night blooming jasmine under his bedroom window. At night that beautiful jasmine fragrance drifted into the bedroom.

I've never been able to make that work for me. I can't grow jasmine. I love fragrant roses and I've planted those close to the house but I don't get the fragrance drifting inside.

I've got a lot of purple iris that smell like grape kool-aid. You can smell them all over the yard but the smell doesn't come into the house.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM

I've got a dwarf lemon tree in a pot inside the house. When that is blooming, it can be smelled inside my plant room. Not much smells better than lemon blossom.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 AM

396 posts, read 508,825 times
Some flowers are more fragrant at night, definitely. I have noticed our petunias, which are almost fragrance free during the day, smelling lovely when we sit out on our balcony at twilight. Dames rocket, a beautiful wildflower, has a mild scent during the day that turns powerful at night. Night blooming jasmine, yes...what a gorgeous scent. Same for gardenias and evening primrose. I don't recall honeysuckle doing this, but I haven't had any in close proximity since childhood. It's a beautiful fragrance though, isn't it? I did read online that plants with that characteristic are programmed that way for pollination by moths.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:42 AM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
Many of the night opening flowers do so as the temperature decreases and the humidity of the evening air increases. This allows certain flower cells to plump up with water and to pop the flower open. The fragrance that escapes from inside of the opening flowers can be intoxicating. Jasmine, some cacti, angel trumpets--ahhh! Supposedly these are the plants that are pollinated via moths, or for desert plants even bats contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden