Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher777 View Post
What is the best way to kill all plant life on a gravel driveway without using Roundup? I prefer to avoid using glyphosate.

An easy and inexpensive weed killer can be made with equal parts of Epsom salts, Dawn liquid, and white vinegar. Play around with the quantities. This works and they don't come back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
An easy and inexpensive weed killer can be made with equal parts of Epsom salts, Dawn liquid, and white vinegar. Play around with the quantities. This works and they don't come back!
Um, EPSOM salts is magnesium sulfate. It is a FERTILIZER.

OP, either pull by hand or use Roundup. Roundup will not accumulate in the soil. Or grade your driveway with a blade.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Um, EPSOM salts is magnesium sulfate. It is a FERTILIZER.

OP, either pull by hand or use Roundup. Roundup will not accumulate in the soil. Or grade your driveway with a blade.
Not when mixed in this combination. Google it. I would never use Round Up.
http://www.news-sentinel.com/article/2014306069972

Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
I found this on another thread:

"Personally I just use 50 lb bags or road salt, and skip all of the mixing. People will yell at me and say that salt will kill the soil permanently, but this is not true. I used to dump it on my gravel driveway each year to kill the weeds that were tough as nails. Some always reseeded back a year later, proving that salt will not render soil infertile permanently; it will work as a long term weed killer, however."

Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Just use Round-up, it's not gonna' kill you and it has no residual effect on the environment. Quick & e-z.
Ditto. Don't make an easy job hard. It's just a driveway, unlikely to ever be used as a vegetable patch.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Ditto. Don't make an easy job hard. It's just a driveway, unlikely to ever be used as a vegetable patch.
^^^this.

They even make it in an easy to use bottle complete with spraying nozzle.

I use it to keep the thistles and buckthorn in control along the "wild" edge of my lot. It works great.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Just use Round-up, it's not gonna' kill you and it has no residual effect on the environment. Quick & e-z.
Keep fooling yourself. Read the super fine print, it says to don plastic gloves to remove the dead weeds, then to put them in a plastic bag and dispose of in a garbage can. Roundup is not safe, the producers of it want you to think so, just like they did with DDT, they said it was safe.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Use the rock salt that they use on roads in the winter time. Spread it just like you're trying to get rid of snow or ice, but in the summer. It will kill every weed within 1 week. In a pinch I have even used bags of salt for the water softener and it also works well. You can stock up on 50 lb bags of it around X-Mas to use in the spring.

I have used this method for years with great success, and you can avoid toxic herbicides this way, that are really not safe, regardless of what the Monsanto chemical lovers say.

Salt works as a long term weed killer, but will not ruin your land or render it sterile like someone will come along and say here shortly. I always new weeds come back the next spring and try to reseed on the same gravel.

Do NOT use Epsom Salt. I keep seeing this get passed around on the web this year for some reason by people with no actual experience using it. Epsom Salts are FERTILIZER for plants.

I have owned acreage for most of my life, try to never use toxic chemicals, and this is what I have found works best and is the easiest over the years. No mixing, boiling, or loading up sprayers with homemade solutions. Just dump the bag in a spreader or spread it by hand right out of the bag.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Use the rock salt that they use on roads in the winter time. Spread it just like you're trying to get rid of snow or ice, but in the summer. It will kill every weed within 1 week. In a pinch I have even used bags of salt for the water softener and it also works well. You can stock up on 50 lb bags of it around X-Mas to use in the spring.

I have used this method for years with great success, and you can avoid toxic herbicides this way, that are really not safe, regardless of what the Monsanto chemical lovers say.

Salt works as a long term weed killer, but will not ruin your land or render it sterile like someone will come along and say here shortly. I always new weeds come back the next spring and try to reseed on the same gravel.

Do NOT use Epsom Salt. I keep seeing this get passed around on the web this year for some reason by people with no actual experience using it. Epsom Salts are FERTILIZER for plants.

I have owned acreage for most of my life, try to never use toxic chemicals, and this is what I have found works best and is the easiest over the years. No mixing, boiling, or loading up sprayers with homemade solutions. Just dump the bag in a spreader or spread it by hand right out of the bag.

I use that mixture all of the time. When combined with white vinegar and dawn - it does work. My garden and path are weed free.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Do what we did for our gravel driveway: lay black plastic sheeting down.

Absolutely nothing will grow, if sunlight and rain and air can't get to it. Pretty cheap, too, and no nasty chemical residue. Just 'shave' all the vegetation down with a mower or weed-wacker first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden