Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That sounds good, but I don't know. I had the same thing this year: a few ended up looking like regular but small cukes, the rest are just like that picture. I did make a couple of jars of pickles out of them. It worked pretty well, but not as good as regular pickles that is for sure.
I should also say, I am willing to grow more lemon cucumbers and will be on the lookout for them, as well as the regular cucumbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I should also say, I am willing to grow more lemon cucumbers and will be on the lookout for them, as well as the regular cucumbers
I prefer the burpless long ones, those lemon cucs are too hard to peel without scraping your fingers.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I prefer the burpless long ones, those lemon cucs are too hard to peel without scraping your fingers.
Where do you think is the best place to buy good seeds?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
I generally by from a local producer called Ed Hume Seeds, because everything is tested to grow well in our area, but sometimes use Burpee.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 11,716 times
do anyone else's lemon cuc's taste tangy? I grew them a few years back and wasn't sure if it was just psychological since they're called lemon. Haven't grown them since because i thought the flavor was strange!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM

The name comes from the appearance, I always found the taste the same but with larger seeds.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for. I will say that seed racks are often not the best place. You run a greater chance of getting inferior seeds or seed lots with lower germination rates.

I concentrate on locally adapted organic seeds, and those varieties are likely not the best varieties for you. If I were you, I'd take a look at Baker Creek Seeds and the Southern Seed Exchange.

Burpee, Park, and Thompson & Morgan are reputable companies that carry a large variety of widely adapted seeds.

If you get serious about growing your own food, you'll develop your own preferences!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. I will say that seed racks are often not the best place. You run a greater chance of getting inferior seeds or seed lots with lower germination rates.

I concentrate on locally adapted organic seeds, and those varieties are likely not the best varieties for you. If I were you, I'd take a look at Baker Creek Seeds and the Southern Seed Exchange.

Burpee, Park, and Thompson & Morgan are reputable companies that carry a large variety of widely adapted seeds.

If you get serious about growing your own food, you'll develop your own preferences!
Thank you! The best time to plant cucumbers is April/May? That's when I planted the lemon cucumber. I found it to taste 10x better than the store bought kind

Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you! The best time to plant cucumbers is April/May? That's when I planted the lemon cucumber. I found it to taste 10x better than the store bought kind
Depending on where you are, April-as late as June. The key to cucumber success is to not put them in the ground until the soil remains at 50F or more at night. If you plant too early, they will never catch up, but will remain stunted all summer and have few cucumbers.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Depending on where you are, April-as late as June. The key to cucumber success is to not put them in the ground until the soil remains at 50F or more at night. If you plant too early, they will never catch up, but will remain stunted all summer and have few cucumbers.
Thank you. I have the beautiful lush plant that gave me the lemon cucumber but I also have another cucumber plant that is tiny, shrunken and does not look anything like the other plant. What is the best thing for the frail plant? They were each planted the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden