Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

I planted these back in April and now I have a round cucumbers. I read a little bit about why it turned out round, (2 others didn't make it) Here are pics. What is your best advice for next time?

I cut it open and it tastes pretty good. Why is it yellow looking?
Attached Thumbnails
My round cucumber?...advice please...:)-imag4991.jpg   My round cucumber?...advice please...:)-imag5000.jpg   My round cucumber?...advice please...:)-imag4999.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If I had to guess, I would say that it's an accidental hybrid of a normal cucumber with the Lemon cucumber. It has the some of the yellow color and round shape but the skin texture is more like normal ones.

Lemon Cucumber: Round Shape, Good Cool Weather Crop

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Where did you get the seed? I agree, that looks like a lemon cucumber to me! One of my favorites, BTW.

You did nothing "wrong", that's just how they are.

Edited to add - there are other varieties of round cucumbers, but lemon cukes are the most common and have been around for a long time.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-05-2015 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Looks like a hybrid Lemon Cuke

Lemon cukes are great for sliceng. I grew some last year. Taste is great too. Not big on size, but slice nicely. I used mine sliced in salads.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:54 PM

Thank you everyone! I got these at Ace Hardware. They were 4 packs for $1 (special sale) I did not notice the kind, whether they be lemon cucumbers or regular. This was my very first cucumber tiny crop! I do have some more they are the size of a green pepper and are shaped like a normal cucumber would look.

Does this mean I will get round and long green ones in the mix of growing?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thank you everyone! I got these at Ace Hardware. They were 4 packs for $1 (special sale) I did not notice the kind, whether they be lemon cucumbers or regular. This was my very first cucumber tiny crop! I do have some more they are the size of a green pepper and are shaped like a normal cucumber would look.

Does this mean I will get round and long green ones in the mix of growing?
Without seeing the seed packets, my guess now is that you bought at least one packet of seed for a green round variety and picked them just past the usual picking stage, as they were beginning to yellow. (It's also remotely possible that the seed company made a mistake.)

If you allow some of the cakes you have to fully mature, save the seeds and plant them next year, yes, you will get a mixture of cucumber shapes/lengths.

That could be fun. Or you might prefer to buy new seed next year, so you will know exactly what you are getting.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
I concur that it looks like a cross between a lemon cucumber and something else. Lemon cucumbers are absolutely a favorite of ours and they make the most amazing pickles ever. They're delicious fresh, too, of course.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If I had to guess, I would say that it's an accidental hybrid of a normal cucumber with the Lemon cucumber. It has the some of the yellow color and round shape but the skin texture is more like normal ones.

Lemon Cucumber: Round Shape, Good Cool Weather Crop
That sounds good, but I don't know. I had the same thing this year: a few ended up looking like regular but small cukes, the rest are just like that picture. I did make a couple of jars of pickles out of them. It worked pretty well, but not as good as regular pickles that is for sure.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:49 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
I grew lemon cukes last year. I agree, these could be some that got cross pollinated and seeds may not be true.

I have found, with my limited 2 years of experience of veggie gardening that if you want a particular seed to be true, your best bet is to buy it from a reputable seed seller. I've wasted a lot of time trying to save seed and then growing what I'd hope would be the same fruit as the seed from which it was saved only to be very disappointed. Unless you're only growing 1 variety of cukes, unlike me who is growing 5, I wouldn't save seeds. Doesn't help to save seed when you're growing 40 tomato plants and 32 being different. I saved seed from my fav. tomato last year and it didn't grow true, and I bought 2 plants of the particular variety and neither were what they should have been. Needless to say, I didn't get any Green Zebra tomatoes this year I've learned (I think), and have bought a pack of Green Zebra tomato seeds to grow next year.

BTW, OP, if it's Greenville, SC you wanna live in, I'm lucky enough to say "I do!"

At least you got cukes to eat that you like. This year I found out what a "pickle worm" is, and many of my cukes succumbed to it. I won't even talk about the squash vine borer I had to battle to get squash this year!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I grew lemon cukes last year. I agree, these could be some that got cross pollinated and seeds may not be true.

I have found, with my limited 2 years of experience of veggie gardening that if you want a particular seed to be true, your best bet is to buy it from a reputable seed seller. I've wasted a lot of time trying to save seed and then growing what I'd hope would be the same fruit as the seed from which it was saved only to be very disappointed. Unless you're only growing 1 variety of cukes, unlike me who is growing 5, I wouldn't save seeds. Doesn't help to save seed when you're growing 40 tomato plants and 32 being different. I saved seed from my fav. tomato last year and it didn't grow true, and I bought 2 plants of the particular variety and neither were what they should have been. Needless to say, I didn't get any Green Zebra tomatoes this year I've learned (I think), and have bought a pack of Green Zebra tomato seeds to grow next year.

BTW, OP, if it's Greenville, SC you wanna live in, I'm lucky enough to say "I do!"

At least you got cukes to eat that you like. This year I found out what a "pickle worm" is, and many of my cukes succumbed to it. I won't even talk about the squash vine borer I had to battle to get squash this year!
I do live here in Greenville, SC too! When I joined city-data, I had the WannaliveinGreenville and within 6 months I did! I actually live outside of Greenville...

I just want to say WOW!! I ate half of that cucumber yesterday and the other half today. I absolutely love how fresh it tasted! So much different than the grocery store cucumbers.

Easy to grow! I am all in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden