Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to get my lawn back to the deep green I had it at a couple of months ago. Right now it is green but there are these blades throughout that look yellowed or dead which takes away from the color of the green blades.

I water 3 times a week at 35mins per station due to it being 100 degrees and no rain in sight here in East Texas. The sprinklers run early in the morning so that water does not sit on the blades overnight.

I fertilize with scotts products and the last one I applied was TurfBuilder about 4 weeks ago. I also treated with Scotts Fungas control about 2 weeks ago because I thought it may be some form of fungus causing this.

I have adjusted my sprinklers so that all areas are hit with water.

Can anyone suggest what I can do better or what this coloration is?

Here is some small samples I pulled from the yard. Also Below is more pictures of the yard as a whole. Some spots are deep green and look great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 06:37 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
If its a fungus, it could be hard to get rid of. What sort of soil do you have? Thinking about typical sprinklers and typical homes, I don't think 35 minutes a sprinkler would be long enough. If it were me, I'd go to watering twice a week at an hour or more a station depending on soil type. Don't water in the evening, or if at all possible, minimize it. Another issue is iron. Might not have enough iron in the soil. You might want to get your soil tested.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 AM

We have sandy soil. As for rate of watering, I'm cutting back to once a week but watering an inch that once time. Trying out this infrequent watering technique everyone is loving. I will measure how long it takes my system to put out 1 inch of water and set it to that time. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM

OK here is an update. I have applied bayer fungs control for lawns at the curative rate to the front and backyard. There are more deadspots in the yard right now. I applied the fungus control 2 days ago so it has not really had time to do its work. However I noticed the grass is very fragile in the dead spots and in the green spots this is what the roots look like(see pic below) Is something else going on? I have switched to just watering once a week for an inch of water this week.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I'd eliminate fungus as it doesn't show me dead brown patches. I feel that it is more of a burn from fertilizer not being watered deeply enough and/or cutting the grass too short this time of the year. You probably need to water 2X a week down to 6 inches in the soil so to get oxygen in between waterings.
To add, I'd suggest you go to a Garden Center and pick up a $6.00 moisture meter and use it for a water guide.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM

840 posts, read 772,777 times
Looks cut too short for the summer heat, to me.

Maybe the fertilizer wasn't diluted enough before application, or, it may have been too hot for applying any fertilizer.

Perhaps it is deficient in magnesium . . . plants use magnesium the way humans use iron.
When deficient in magnesium they become anemic.

We dose our tomatoes with Epsom salt when their leaves begin yellowing,
and they green right back up again by the next day.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Chinch bugs??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YluseWV7EQ

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to get my lawn back to the deep green I had it at a couple of months ago. Right now it is green but there are these blades throughout that look yellowed or dead which takes away from the color of the green blades.

I water 3 times a week at 35mins per station due to it being 100 degrees and no rain in sight here in East Texas. The sprinklers run early in the morning so that water does not sit on the blades overnight.

I fertilize with scotts products and the last one I applied was TurfBuilder about 4 weeks ago. I also treated with Scotts Fungas control about 2 weeks ago because I thought it may be some form of fungus causing this.

I have adjusted my sprinklers so that all areas are hit with water.

Can anyone suggest what I can do better or what this coloration is?

Here is some small samples I pulled from the yard. Also Below is more pictures of the yard as a whole. Some spots are deep green and look great.
I also live in East Texas, and everyone around here is battling the same problem. I see it in all my neighbors' yards.

I think it's just heat stress. I've noticed that the parts of my yard that get a little shade are the greenest and least stressed areas. The parts that get the full beating down sun have some of the yellow/brown blades like your pics show. Yours looks like the same deal - the areas that are shaded somewhat by the fence/house don't look stressed at all, but the areas that get no relief from the sun are stressed.

Hopefully we'll get some rain soon, the temps will drop, and everyone's grass will get back to looking good again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden