Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,098,260 times

Advertisements

I went down to look at my trees this evening and was shocked to see little green worms had "eaten" a good deal of my Loblolly pine tree seedling! Filthy nasty things. I asked my dad and he mentioned what they were but I forgot. He said that I need to go to a hardware store / garden shop tomorrow and get some sort of spray that will kill the worms, but not harm the tree. I didnt see them on any other tree, but they were sure going at this one!

I took water to them as much as I could just to try to get them off for now and tried to "pry" the rest of them off until the mosquitos were too unbearable, as they were eating me up, then I backed into a huge spiders web, then I noticed blood all over my shirt, etc, so it was like a horror movie. I am still itching! lol.

What are these and how to I get shed of them once and for all, without killing the tree if they havent already! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,027,109 times
It's the redheaded pine sawfly!

here's a thread I started when my daughter had the same problem:

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ine-shrub.html

She probably lost one plant entirely - I suggested she wait till Spring to see if any new growth would come back - and it partially decimated the second one!
Nasty critters!!! Don't wait too long - these things are ravenously devouring anything they can get their "fangs" on! Only took a few days for the first plant to possibly be beyond saving...

BTW, thanks for identifying the pine for me

Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM

Ah! I checked your link and those are what I have for sure! Nasty things! I have never saw them before. I have ALOT of pines around here and none others have them YET, so I will attend to these tomorrow! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It's the redheaded pine sawfly!

here's a thread I started when my daughter had the same problem:

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ine-shrub.html

She probably lost one plant entirely - I suggested she wait till Spring to see if any new growth would come back - and it partially decimated the second one!
Nasty critters!!! Don't wait too long - these things are ravenously devouring anything they can get their "fangs" on! Only took a few days for the first plant to possibly be beyond saving...

BTW, thanks for identifying the pine for me

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM

They had completely left the middle part of the tree and when I got home this evening and looked, they had moved to the top of my Loblolly pine tree and was eating the newest growth! We sprayed it with some "bayer" brand spray from Lowes. Hope it works.

I found some of that Bonine 8? at a local feed and seed store, but they only sold it in huge jugs to make 50 gallons! I didnt need that. I could not find it anywhere else, so settled on that other stuff from Lowes in a blue bottle. It read on the bottle that it killed sawflies.

We will see. They are sure making am meal of my tree.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 AM

It worked. They are dead.

Hated to have them murdered, but I could not allow them to murder my tree.

Oh, that other stuff was Bonide 8 I think... not Bonine like I had mentioned above.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 19,838 times
Default green worms

So, I have these green worms on my cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower. I have always used pesticides in the past,get complwtw information
[url=http://www.mcsetests.net]mcse[/url] but would really like to find a way to get rid of them without having to resort to pesticides again. Last year I used Tempo brand spray, and it works great, but it kills everything. It kills the bees I need for pollination in the rest of my garden as well, so I'm not using that crap again.
Any suggestions for the worms?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,907 times
juliaeen Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt) will get rid of your cabbage loopers. It is a bacteria that makes them ill, they stop eating and die. It is safe for people and animals if the directions are followed. You can find it at a plant nursery, through catalogs that handle such things, or online.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,030,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaeen View Post
So, I have these green worms on my cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower. I have always used pesticides in the past,get complwtw information
mcse but would really like to find a way to get rid of them without having to resort to pesticides again. Last year I used Tempo brand spray, and it works great, but it kills everything. It kills the bees I need for pollination in the rest of my garden as well, so I'm not using that crap again.
Any suggestions for the worms?

This was posted on a garden site I visit.

10 Natural Garden and Repellent Aids

10 Organic Garden Aids

Epson Salt Spray: 2 ounces of salt per 2 gallons water.
Benefits: Helps with Black Spot, Mildew, Wilt and Rust

Mineral Oil Spray: 3 parts oil per 100 parts water.
Benefits: Helps with Aphids, Codling Moth, Leaf Roller, Mealybugs, Scaled Insects, White Fly

Beer: Stale or mixed with molasses
Benefits: Helps control Slugs

Tomato Leaves Spray: Crush leaves and soak in water for a couple days. Strain then spray.
Benefits: Grasshopper and White Fly control

Soap Spray: 2 TBS soap flakes dissolved in 1 quart water. *Don’t use detergents.
Benefits: Aphid control

Basil: Plant in pots and place around patio or deck
Benefits: Repels flies and mosquitoes

Rosemary, Mint, Thyme: Plant near cabbage
Benefits: Repels cabbage worms

Nasturtiums: Plant near cucumbers, melons and squashes.
Benefits: Repels squash bugs

Summer Savory: Plant near beans
Benefits: Repels bean beetles

Radishes: Plant near cucumbers
Benefits: Repels cucumber beetles

busta

Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,980,545 times
Tennesseestorm - I was just out mowing, looked down at my bag and there was a green worm thing - they're back! I had just mowed near a mugho pine that was attacked last year by these little worm devils and although I check it often, I totally missed them. I thumped a branch and it came alive - eeewwww.

I used up some stuff from last year but it's probably not very effective anymore so I'm off to get more. It's always something.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Sorry to hear that... I had forgot about this thread until I looked it up again.... mine are back too!

This time they are on one of my Slash pine trees! I blasted them off of there with the water hose last night, but they came back today. They never came back to the Loblolly pines though. They have moderately damaged my Slash pine and I really wanted this tree to survive. I noticed last year I had bought some of that Bonine 8.... now if I can find it again. May have to purchase more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Tennesseestorm - I was just out mowing, looked down at my bag and there was a green worm thing - they're back! I had just mowed near a mugho pine that was attacked last year by these little worm devils and although I check it often, I totally missed them. I thumped a branch and it came alive - eeewwww.

I used up some stuff from last year but it's probably not very effective anymore so I'm off to get more. It's always something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden