Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat vegetables grown with human urine?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 31 51.67%
Maybe. I'd have to read more about it. 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I grew up on a farm. Trust me, not all manure is composted before it is spread.
My cousin had unprocessed chicken manure sprayed on her alfalfa field once. Within a week, it looked like they had used napalm.

Jus' sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
It's not about moisture or water supply, it's about nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus which are readily available in urine. And free.
These are also freely available from other sources that do not involve human waste.

Seriously... Do you really think human urine would make a superior fertilizer to any of the other options available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:51 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Unless a person has a bladder or kidney infection, urine is sterile as it comes from the body.
what about transmittable illnesses such as Hepatitis?

Old 08-16-2015, 12:26 PM

579 posts, read 522,149 times
Hey, I don't have hepatitis, Or typhoid, or an STD. And if I had a urinary tract infection I wouldn't use my urine until I had passed my antibiotic series. But my healthy body produces a non-toxic highly nutritious FREE, readily available compost accelerator so I'm going to use it. One of the major points of permaculture and organic food is to KNOW where your produce is coming from and how it's grown. I do KNOW.

Are you eating any frozen produce from China that you might buy in the grocery store. Whole Foods sells frozen produce from China. How much you wanna bet the field workers are pissing in those fields.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:33 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I did find this 2010 article on using waste, human sludge, on our fields: Sewage Sludge as Fertilizer: Safe? | Food Safety News. It is interesting to note, from that article: "According to the EPA, about half of all sewage sludge is applied to land, but it is only applied to about one percent of the nation’s farmland." They also go on to state: "Most people’s chances of eating enough tainted food from farms that apply sewage sludge as fertilizer to cause an acute reaction are pretty slim." However they do qualify that statement by saying that the odds of tracing the illness back to sewage sludge are even slimmer.

I just remember that years ago this was a common practice. It is only that, with better knowledge and tools, have we restricted the practice to where it is today. But then you have the other issue of using animal waste to treat our fields.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Someone peeing in my veggie garden turns me off. They are welcome to pee in my compost pile, however.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Peeing in your garden does not mean peeing on the fruits.
Having a large garden, in the middle of nowhere, the growers (myself and husband) have been known to take a break in the garden. We don't pee ON the plants, so the concern of contaminated food is, well, not a concern.

Those food borne pathogens found in the commercial food supply comes from pickers not washing their hands, not from using fields as a toilet.
Well, if they are pooping in the field, where exactly do you think they are washing their hands?

Old 08-16-2015, 05:06 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
That totally reminded of the story I read. Apparently, Japanese gardeners use human waste as fertilizer.
In 1945, a general was assigned a house with servants, gardener included, at Okinawa military base. Being aware of that tradition, he told gardener to "never use your Japanese fertilizer".
Thereafter, gardener duly fertilized the garden only with general and his family waste.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
No, because I don't know what people are eating; therefore, I don't what is in their urine.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I can't believe how many people are OK with this ...practice.

This is why I purchase local produce and avoid anything from China.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That totally reminded of the story I read. Apparently, Japanese gardeners use human waste as fertilizer.
In 1945, a general was assigned a house with servants, gardener included, at Okinawa military base. Being aware of that tradition, he told gardener to "never use your Japanese fertilizer".
Thereafter, gardener duly fertilized the garden only with general and his family waste.
I am surprised that food distributors, stores, federal food authorities don't do frequent lab analysis of both domestic and foreign food products for dangerous bacteria. If food makers knew there were regular random testing done they would make sure their workers weren't pooping near food products. That is truly disgusting, but poop is sometimes on food, and that's how people can get sick by just eating raw vegetables. E Coli is in poop. Restaurant workers have to wash their hands when they come out of the bathroom otherwise they get poop on your food as they are preparing it. I feel sick now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden