Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
not a hippo but a pile of stones. I love stones.

Same here. I have a small "boulder garden" with small solar-light squares in and around it (but no photo). Similar to yours, but in the grass. I'm a rock person, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:45 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
My better ornaments have to be displayed in the back yard because a couple have been stolen from the front garden. One was a large playful elephant that I loved and it disappeared. I do think I'm going to work on a rock display starting next year on one end of the beds.

In back I have a couple of Buddhas with other Asian little decorations. Along the section that's against the house I have sun plaques on the walls and lizards on the walls farther down by the deck.

I love garden statues.

I know two people who have had their gazing balls stolen from their front yards. Plus some whose prized pieces of petrified wood have disappeared, too. The really attractive and unusual garden ornaments are probably best in the back yard. My favorite garden ornaments are colorful and unusual rocks and petrified wood.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I love water features, rocks too and like to build cairns. Here's my garden decorations:

Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Jean, it's straight out of BH&G. Lush.

Rock person here too. Everywhere I go I liberate rocks. You can't stop me.

They redid the street in front of our house two summers ago and everyone on the block hit the bonanza. Some of us got boulders. It was a good deal as they charge a small fortune for them at landscaping businesses.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Thanks it's tiny garden, but I love it and my plants. We will eventually sell here and permanently move to FL, but I plan on taking some of my rocks.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:43 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Thanks it's tiny garden, but I love it and my plants. We will eventually sell here and permanently move to FL, but I plan on taking some of my rocks.
hey, jean_ji-what's that thing in the bottom left photo? Looks kind of like a hedgehog or something?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM

675 posts, read 1,815,872 times

These statues are really heavy, a couple hundred lbs ...

Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
hey, jean_ji-what's that thing in the bottom left photo? Looks kind of like a hedgehog or something?
It is a hedge hog I found at garden place in NJ over twenty years ago, he's showing his age even though I put him in the garage over winter. I got one for my Dad, another garden lover, and shipped it to him in IN. I saw it this summer hanging out under an azalea bush.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
so happy to see others have favorite do dads and such in the garden. It's easy to get carried away. I stopped purchasing such things about 10 years ago but if a special sculpture or art work jumps me...I'm going after it.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a metal rooster and some ceramic turtles, but the neatest things to see in my yard are the toads. We built a tiny pond in the front yard, and the toads had tadpoles in it, so my yard is full of adorable little toads. Here are some hiding out in a pot of prickly pear.
How cute are they! I thought you were going to say you had little hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Does a mosaic gazing ball count? I have one.
Of course that counts! They're so pretty. The one stolen from daughter's back yard glowed at night. Guess it was irresistible to the thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
My better ornaments have to be displayed in the back yard because a couple have been stolen from the front garden. One was a large playful elephant that I loved and it disappeared. I do think I'm going to work on a rock display starting next year on one end of the beds.

My sister had a statue of The Weeping Angel in her front flower bed to commemorate a grandson who died young. Yep, stolen. That thing must have weighed 150 pounds.

In back I have a couple of Buddhas with other Asian little decorations. Along the section that's against the house I have sun plaques on the walls and lizards on the walls farther down by the deck. I love garden statues.
Your yard sounds like mine. I have Asian, Ancient Greece, Tropical, Seaside, Southwest, and Mexican garden ornaments. They all have their own niche. No single theme for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so happy to see others have favorite do dads and such in the garden. It's easy to get carried away. I stopped purchasing such things about 10 years ago but if a special sculpture or art work jumps me...I'm going after it.
Same here, but I've never passed up a garden goodie at a garage sale if it speaks to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden