Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

A few years ago a neighbor gave me some Moon Flower seeds which I started in peat pots and put a few out in the yard. This year we found Moon Flowers all over the place. I really enjoy them but they are invasive and I don't want them to take over the yard so just this week i had DH rip most of them out.

Here is a picture of a volunteer which started behind a holly by the front porch. I think it took off because it had such good support with those hollies. Yesterday when DH got rid of it, it was about to cover up many of the containers on the front porch.... it outstayed it's welcome.

Only 1 plant did this.

They really are pretty

The seed pods are beautiful. This is very young but when they mature they get black and burst open.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
I love moon flowers, they are huge! One plant is plenty for you, how beautiful. My moon flowers have been on vines, yours look like a bushy plant.

I tried them here in NY and they were hit and miss; they love hot weather and get a slow start here when the spring and early summer is wet and cool and barely bloom before it starts getting too cool in the fall.
I'd like to try them in FL but don't know if It would be too hot, I guess I'll find out.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
They are also called datura, or Devil's Trumpets, and they will grow in Florida. Up north, they grow as an annual. But as NK mentioned, reseed.
In SW Florida, without a frost they live through winters and become bushy. Their cousin is Brugmansia, which is a bushy tree, and flowers hang down instead of up. Also called Angel Trumpets.
And that is one beautiful bush of them NK

Old 08-23-2015, 09:17 AM

I know the Angel Trumpets are poisonous, are these also?

eta: I looked it up and they are in the same family as Angel Trumpets.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Actually, they are not so much poisonous, as an hallucinogenic plant, datura being the far bigger offender.
But both have been in Victorian style gardens for over 100 years or so. They are very unusual, attention grabbing plants.
As long as you're not trying to eat them, they're fine. Lots of poison plants in our gardens.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 AM

We have grand kids nearby in FL and pets too, so I try to limit harmful ones. The angel trumpets are gorgeous and I do like the datura, maybe in a few years.

When we first moved to FL I called poison control a few times. My grandson was in the stick everything in his mouth stage and most of them were plant bits I pulled out of his mouth.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
OMG !!! Please please tell me what that gorgeous rosy red bush is called so I can buy 10 of them. I absolutely love that color and although it probably won't grow in AZ, I might be able to have it when I move to milder soil. Thanks so much.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OMG !!! Please please tell me what that gorgeous rosy red bush is called so I can buy 10 of them. I absolutely love that color and although it probably won't grow in AZ, I might be able to have it when I move to milder soil. Thanks so much.
Looks like a Crape Myrtle to me. In the north they are more bushy, as opposed to that tree form. they grow in the heat of Texas, so you might have a shot.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
YES IT IS CREPE MYRTLE AND IS A 8 YEAR OLD TREE. They are iconic with the South and they are beautiful, requiring little care. Bet they are all over Arizona as well.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Beautiful pictures, no kudzu! Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden