Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:48 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Mint is expensive?

I bought one of those live mint plant in the fruit/ veggie section of supermarket for $2.99 and put them near a sunny window. Pretty soon they flourished and out-grew their container. I moved them into a bigger pot (more like empty soup plastic container) and they've grown wild again. I clipped of several stems and just plug them into another plastic container (too many take-out food) with potting soil and they survived and growing just fine.

Mint has to be the easiest plant to grow other than weeds, even easier than basil. The only thing is they are thirsty so frequent watering (minimum 2X per day) is needed. I've been warned not to plant them in the garden 'cause they will take over. The word is that Thomas Jefferson had some mint planted in the White House garden and they're still trying to get rid of it today!! These buggers know how to survive and multiply!!!
Agreed and agreed!!! I planted some in two locations, a couple of years ago, and every year now I have to pull most of it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:06 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Mint is expensive?

I bought one of those live mint plant in the fruit/ veggie section of supermarket for $2.99 and put them near a sunny window. Pretty soon they flourished and out-grew their container. I moved them into a bigger pot (more like empty soup plastic container) and they've grown wild again. I clipped of several stems and just plug them into another plastic container (too many take-out food) with potting soil and they survived and growing just fine.

Mint has to be the easiest plant to grow other than weeds, even easier than basil. The only thing is they are thirsty so frequent watering (minimum 2X per day) is needed. I've been warned not to plant them in the garden 'cause they will take over. The word is that Thomas Jefferson had some mint planted in the White House garden and they're still trying to get rid of it today!! These buggers know how to survive and multiply!!!
Yeah, here it is anyways. It's about two dollars for a clipped bunch that you will use vey quickly.

I'm glad you mentioned basil. I was thinking about getting some of that going as similarly, a small bunch of basil from the supermarket is expensive to buy if it grows easy indoors.

Last question: if you're waiting for roots to sprout with a sprig in a glass of water, how often should I be changing the water?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah, here it is anyways. It's about two dollars for a clipped bunch that you will use vey quickly.

I'm glad you mentioned basil. I was thinking about getting some of that going as similarly, a small bunch of basil from the supermarket is expensive to buy if it grows easy indoors.

Last question: if you're waiting for roots to sprout with a sprig in a glass of water, how often should I be changing the water?
Jesse,

The way I grow them is to use potting soil in plastic soup containers. I then cut holes at the bottom of container so any excess water can drain out. I then put the container in a shallow plastic dish (I have lots of those from take-out food). The shallow dish serve 2 purposes, first to hold excess water from watering the plant and, second; those excess water can be sucked up by the plant if the potting soil is dry. I don't think the neither the mint nor basil roots want to be drowned in water but they don't want to be dry neither.

In the case of mint, I simply insert the cuttings into a new container with potting soil and use my method above to keep the soil damp. They begin to grow after about a week so I think that's the time it take to sprout new roots. The water evaporated quicker than the need to worry about changing them. The roots also will not rot from being drowned in water.

To grow from seeds, you'll just need to keep them damp but not drowning them in water. Cover the seeds with 1/8 inch potting soil and you'll be fine. They should germinate in ~2 weeks.

I find it much easier if I just buy the small plant than trying to grow them from seeds. I am not a patient guy I guess

Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
By the way, my wife makes tea with mint leaves. Not only it smells good but it has a calming effect. Perfect for bed time!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Every year I plant Black peppermint from a small plant purchased at a greenhouse. It grows like crazy and gets leggy by the end of summer. I break off large stems of it and put it in our storage container where we keep tools and fertilizers and bird seed over the winter. Its supposed to ward off mice, maybe it does. We still get them every year but it seems that they don't make nests inside like they did, they just eat in there.
I've been putting a crushed sprig of it in a bottle of unsweetened tea and let it steep for a few hours until I drink it at lunch at work. It gives the tea just the right refreshing taste and blends in perfectly. I wasn't stressed out this summer enough to make mojitos but I would have liked to.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I think what happens is that new roots grow along the stem if the mint is placed in water. Basil, too (which is in the mint family).
Oregano and Rosemary also start from cuttings rooted in water, so does thyme. I've had rosemary root in less than 10 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden