U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 04:41 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,738,956 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

It's a bit early but since spring & weedwacking is only 12-wks or so away, I thought I'd ask early. My small Boston yard has patches of moss interspersed throughout. Moss hasn't grown until a few years ago when a new deck was added to a house catty-corner to mine, which now blocks the sun from hitting the majority of the yard.

I've searched different sites & actually see some folks encourage it to grow, others dislike it, but have yet to see a list of moss pros & cons. My mom had been pulling it out with a warrior-like attitude & thowing it away, I think to the detriment of the aesthetics, as she leaves bare patches, yet believes "It doesn't belong there! It's like mold!" I kept telling her to leave it alone & that I'd found websites saying people like it. Like Napoleon (they're the same height, she's Mini-Mom), she refuses to let anything overtake the land she never uses... Only her advanced age with recent aching joints has finally alleviated some of her European stubbornness in her quest to banish the green growth from her domain. I think if I hide the garden tools on a shelf she can't reach, I can hold her at bay 'til the calvary comes. The Garden forum being the calvary.

I planned to leave it alone. Is there any reason to uproot it & for instance, place stones/pebbles instead? By the way, I have no veggies/flowers in the yard, although it's well-maintained & it's an unused yard... meaning, we don't sit out in it or have BBQ's. Too small, too many highrise neighbors watching your every move (think "Rear Window"). Only one 70-yr old lilac tree (now with scoliosis due to these last few heavy snowstorms), a 75-yr old rosebush that's probably on it's way to Garden Heaven in the next few years & a newly planted rosebush last year, remain. The roses get all the sunshine, so no moss there. Poor lilac is in the shade. Don't know how that poor lass will fare now that she's very stooped over.

If you can help (even a website referral is great), I'll very much appreciate it. Until then, I'll keep trying to convince my mom her memory's going & we never had a yard... it's the neighbor's... the fence is to block her out because she keeps pulling up their newly harvested moss patches. Thank you.

"Goodnight Gracie"... VV
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 PM

42,819 posts, read 57,236,787 times
You might want to click on one of these sites: Moss problems - Google Search

Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,251,955 times
I got lost in all the verbiage. Is it your house or your mom's house? If it's her house, get rid of the moss. It's the respectful thing to do.

If it's your house, you have the final say. But since she has to look at it too, perhaps a compromise is in order.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
... some folks encourage it to grow, others dislike it, but I've yet to see a list of moss pros & cons.

Is there any reason to uproot it...?
This is what I am asking.
Thanks!
Have fun... VV

Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,840,473 times
KittensPurr - the moss indicates that the area suffers from compacted soil and not enough sun (as you noted).

If you like it, no problem. Google 'moss garden'. Tell Mom it's really zen-like and that it's way low maintenance.

If you want something different, note that grass will probably not thrive in that location. I don't know Boston plants (I lived there a while back, but didn't even have house plants in my apt), but maybe look into a low groundcover appropriate for your area. Before planting, you should aerate / till the soil. Some people recommend amending the soil with lime.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
If you like it, no problem. Google 'moss garden'. Tell Mom it's really zen-like and that it's way low maintenance.
Great, React, thanks very much. I don't mind it (in fact, it looks kind of Lord of the Rings, which is cool), have been leaving it alone, but my mom often gets out there & wreaks havoc, ripping up chuncks here & there, making it look like a pack of wolves ran through the yard.

There's clover & Boston ferns growing in various spots... none that were planted, just grow on their own, so consistency in plant-life isn't important & since I maintain it, I quite like the diversity of it. I think my mom thinks it's a mold & unhealthy in some way, which is why she felt compelled to discard it. I didn't find any info to say it was a mold/unhealthy... but lots of info on "moss problems". Since the word "problem" was used, yet no reason was given as to what sort of problem (other than some people like consistent lawns), I had no idea if there were cons to letting it grow.

Thank you. I just looked up moss gardens & there's plenty of info. Before I posted, I didn't know there was such a thing, but this looks to be the info I need & apparently it's not unhealthy.

Quote:
If you want something different, note that grass will probably not thrive in that location. Before planting, you should aerate / till the soil. Some people recommend amending the soil with lime.
Thank you. Since I'll be moving soon & leaving her to deal with the yard on her own, I've slowly "filled in" 3/4 of the yard... made some nice Celtic circle designs with round, gray stones & used bricks & paving stones, too. My purpose was in making less "green" for her to have to use the Weed Wacker on.

This all meaning... if it were a con to leave the moss, then I would have pulled it up & filled in the spots with pebbles/stones/bricks. Since it's okay to leave it, I will. I will take a look at some moss gardens, as perhaps there will be some visuals to give me ideas in making it easier/prettier. I see you can just pick it up, lay it in another spot & it will be fine if it's a wet, shady environment.

I appreciate your help. Have fun... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden