Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times

Advertisements

This falls into the category of "Things I regret allowing to get out of control". Pokeweed. I let some pokeweed grow because I like to watch the mockingbirds eat the berries in the late fall. But ugh!!! Pokeweed "volunteers" everywhere. It took over the ground underneath one of my pine trees. It pops up all over my yard. It grows really tall and blocks my view of my garden unless I chop it down. The berries stain everything.

But yeah, I still like watching the mockingbirds eat the berries. Maybe next year I will be as ruthless as I fantasize about being and just allow one or two well-behaved (trimmed by me) pokeweeds to survive. But that area under my pine tree is filled with the darn things, and some of them are impossible to get to to cut down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post

But yeah, I still like watching the mockingbirds eat the berries. Maybe next year I will be as ruthless as I fantasize about being and just allow one or two well-behaved (trimmed by me) pokeweeds to survive. But that area under my pine tree is filled with the darn things, and some of them are impossible to get to to cut down!
LOL We share the same fantasy. Ruthless. I call it brutal. I need more of this resolve in my life to bring our yard into some sort of sanity. I do not know where to start.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:29 AM

LOL, I start to feel sorry for whatever I am planning to rip out. And then keep procrastinating about it.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
LOL, I start to feel sorry for whatever I am planning to rip out. And then keep procrastinating about it.

This is the same issue I have. I say I will yank it after it flowers. Some one needs to yank me. Every years I say next year will be different. I could walk you through 30 years of yards and I have continually done the same. I think my brain just sees things different. How can I expect a different result when I keep doing the same thing???

I am creating the perfect flower bed on our hallway wall. YES inside the house. It is all done in glass and will be about 6 foot tall when I finally get it done some day. The glass part is 11 foot long between two doors in the hall. With a pond, in glass, too. Just think NO WEEDING. NO OVERGROWTH Except the cray cray flowers done in vintage glass plates. No watering except a little windex once in awhile.

I like the natural look of meandering borders. I guess it is just me. I am 66 now I am probably not going to change much. Sigh.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Vinca. I didn't exactly plant it -- it escaped from a pot and took off. And off. Now it's everywhere, and every time I have a mind to eradicate it, I take two steps forward and one step back.

It's awfully pretty in the spring, though ...

Old 11-18-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
This is the same issue I have. I say I will yank it after it flowers. Some one needs to yank me. Every years I say next year will be different. I could walk you through 30 years of yards and I have continually done the same. I think my brain just sees things different. How can I expect a different result when I keep doing the same thing???

I am creating the perfect flower bed on our hallway wall. YES inside the house. It is all done in glass and will be about 6 foot tall when I finally get it done some day. The glass part is 11 foot long between two doors in the hall. With a pond, in glass, too. Just think NO WEEDING. NO OVERGROWTH Except the cray cray flowers done in vintage glass plates. No watering except a little windex once in awhile.

I like the natural look of meandering borders. I guess it is just me. I am 66 now I am probably not going to change much. Sigh.
A garden made of glass. Now why didn't I think of that?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:20 PM

The next two panels are on my work bench about half done. Then I will be on the home stretch to center. Then I go up to build the glass arbor to hold the gass vines on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5018566...posted-public/

Old 11-19-2015, 03:32 PM

Yowza, that looks like a lot of work. Boy, that is an understatement.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yowza, that looks like a lot of work. Boy, that is an understatement.
No weeding. Always in bloom. Can't wait to put the pond plants on the pond. need it all up to make sure I get a balance.

It is what helps to keep me sane. First panel was started March 2014. I have had several other projects besides this. I need breaks away from it to keep the whole project fresh.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Crocosmias! I've gotten very aggressive in trying to get rid of them, but to no avail. I'll try another round of aggression in the spring but am not going to hold my breath.

In recent years I've gotten way more cautious about opting for spreaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden