U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 07:52 PM

1,062 posts, read 293,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Trumpet vine! Everytime I turn my back to it it is popping up somewhere else in the yard. It is literately growing through a dime size space between my deck boards. Nothing like having a vine growing up your leg while trying to enjoy a family bbq. And the more you trim it to keep it in check the more shoots pop up somewhere else. All my other mistakes are easily dug out, but not this monster!
Trumpet vine is the worst! Monster is right!

It's like a real horror movie ....can't get rid of it ...keeps popping up all over the place,
even in the middle of my lawn.

Not nearly as bad but not good is Rose of Sharon....very messy....
it flowers a lot and it looks good but tons of dead flowers to pick uo
and "suckers" to remove.

In my previous house it was english ivy and and cotoneaster...that stuff spreads
and mice loved to hide in it ......people who bought my house removed all of it.

Last edited by GTB365; 08-29-2022 at 08:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 10:31 AM

45,158 posts, read 27,724,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Yes, they get out of hand very quickly. I got few plants from my mom's garden one year. They took over my entire flower bed the next year! They develop hundreds of new shoots from tubers and many hundreds more from seeds.

I tried my best to dig out all the tubers but new shoots can come out from teeny tiny strands of tubers. It took me 5-6 years to eradicate them.
wow. good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Trumpet vine is the worst! Monster is right!

It's like a real horror movie ....can't get rid of it ...keeps popping up all over the place,
even in the middle of my lawn.
my poor mom tried for years to get trumpet vines to grow in new mexico. they just wouldn't take.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:20 AM

4,157 posts, read 5,783,012 times
When we bought our current house in 2006, the previous owners had english ivy in the beds in the front of the house. A couple years later we cut it all out and threw the pieces in a pile in the backyard waiting for the day we could take it to the dump once we were done with our DIY landscaping projects. Well, it took root almost immediately and here we are 14 years later, and 1/3 of our backyard is covered in english ivy and it's a CONSTANT battle for it not to take over the entire yard. We have had the entire area cleared out over the years and it always comes back. I hate it.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:27 AM

9,250 posts, read 4,981,688 times
I regret planting half a dozen fruit trees in my front yard. I looked forward to having my own fruit, but six months later, we sold the house and moved out of state.
When we drove by a few years later, the trees were all gone.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:16 PM

13,986 posts, read 8,119,037 times
Russian Sage -- the devil's own plant. After that is cilantro.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:18 PM

183 posts, read 70,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Why not cilantro?

I had some nice huge mint plants on my balcony one summer. Then they flowered, and they were covered in bottle flies that kept getting inside.

They're fine in a window sill pot, but they're tricky outdoors.

I remember a rose bush that my parents regretted planting. It sent runners all over the place, long ones. Awful to dig up later on when they decided to get rid of it.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:23 PM

25,832 posts, read 25,763,913 times
Yarrow. any color.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:32 AM

31,296 posts, read 32,348,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I never had a problem with it taking over.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:20 AM

45,820 posts, read 57,157,317 times
Almost every tree I’ve planted next to the driveway has failed to thrive. A row of wax myrtles got old and died off. In their place I’ve tried a redbud, 2 dogwoods, a cedar, and now a flowering cherry.

I regret I wasted so much time trying to avoid the ubiquitous crape myrtle. The crape myrtle is doing great and I’m taking out the cherry and planting another one.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:35 PM

417 posts, read 796,275 times
Well this is an interesting thread, brought up a few chuckles and giggles based upon years of experience and regrets of those younger and dumber days which seem like just days ago.

We have had so many over 100 degree days that I even regret listening to those so called gardening experts (you know who you are) that suggested reliable "heat and sun tolerant" plants, all of which I planted and which subsequently sent up the white flag despite my exuberant watering! I gave up end of August, took out the fried plants and inserted artificial flowers in the ground as revenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden