Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:06 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I want more colors and will order more seeds. Do you know how to get control of the rust?
LOL the rust I was referring to is an old John Deer Plow and a couple of milk cans that have been cut down one side and I planted to succulents. I am going to have to lash that plow to a dolly and will try to get that done today before I water a space I need to drag it through. No idea how I am going to move the milk cans and maybe it will not happen. but they look so nice flanking the plow. The aspens have over taken the space so nothing is visible now. I have several old farm things in our yard. Corn planter and a big iron scoop bucket I forget the name of it. Pieces of a majestic stove and old wood stoves.

I had rust this year, it is the first time. I hope it was just the weather that caused it. I guess I am pretty ignorant in this. I had it on the Mallow too. Later the plants recovered with lots of water. Some even grew new leaves.

Message me if you would like me to send you seeds. I have some left that are known colors and a 5 gallon bucket of mixed. YES 5 gallons of them. I gathered the seed from the tarp I was using to haul the stalks across the yard to the trailer to load. They are 2 years old now so not sure all will germinate. I also have some left standing I can gather seeds. The dark dark red and some large flowered pink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
So many of my favorites are on this list - black eyed susans, monarda, holly hocks, violets, mints. One of the things I love about them is that they have a mind of their own and show up where I least expect them. Because of them, my garden is constantly changing and never quite the same from year to year. I'd add coneflower and milkweed to the list, but I don't regret planting any of them.
I have to agree with this sentiment, especially when it comes to the more attractive "roamers." I never know where a hollyhock will pop up and what color it will be. Nicotiana sylvestris (giant flowering tobacco) is another one. Last year it pretty much blocked my access to the hose faucet and this year it decided to take root on either side of the sidewalk. Had to cut it back a bit to hold down the annoyance factor to the mailman. I don't regret planting either of these originally, but like I said earlier - mint. No redeeming quality for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Things you regret planting-image.jpg  

Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I have to agree with this sentiment, especially when it comes to the more attractive "roamers." I never know where a hollyhock will pop up and what color it will be. Nicotiana sylvestris (giant flowering tobacco) is another one. Last year it pretty much blocked my access to the hose faucet and this year it decided to take root on either side of the sidewalk. Had to cut it back a bit to hold down the annoyance factor to the mailman. I don't regret planting either of these originally, but like I said earlier - mint. No redeeming quality for me.
It is lovely Lost Roses. I also agree about the joy of finding a pop up and not the kind we get on the internet. I just need to be a little more restrained in letting some of it grow or spreading the seed myself. DOH I keep saying next year I will get better control. Next year has come and gone over and over. House after house.

I do love the way my flower bed plants mingle. They seem to decide what they want to do verses my wishes. Slightly controlled chaos. And a funny I will post a photo below. Friend was over yesterday and she asked me what the name of the ground cover we were standing by. I have no idea but offered her some. I told her it blooms in white as this was doing now and pink. Then she said. YES but it does NOT bloom Columbine. Well maybe some times it does. LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5018566...posted-public/

Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Oops

Old 10-13-2015, 12:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
It is lovely Lost Roses. I also agree about the joy of finding a pop up and not the kind we get on the internet. I just need to be a little more restrained in letting some of it grow or spreading the seed myself. DOH I keep saying next year I will get better control. Next year has come and gone over and over. House after house.

I do love the way my flower bed plants mingle. They seem to decide what they want to do verses my wishes. Slightly controlled chaos. And a funny I will post a photo below. Friend was over yesterday and she asked me what the name of the ground cover we were standing by. I have no idea but offered her some. I told her it blooms in white as this was doing now and pink. Then she said. YES but it does NOT bloom Columbine. Well maybe some times it does. LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5018566...posted-public/
I don't get it. That sure looks like a Columbine but where are the leaves? That ground cover looks like stuff that grew all over the yard at my previous house. I hated it and can't even remember the name but it wasn't Columbine. Somebody please explain?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't get it. That sure looks like a Columbine but where are the leaves? That ground cover looks like stuff that grew all over the yard at my previous house. I hated it and can't even remember the name but it wasn't Columbine. Somebody please explain?
in_newengland. The columbine flowering branch has fallen over and was covered by the ground cover before it was done blooming. The little flower bloomed up between the ground cover leaves. It is why we were laughing because my friend is not a big gardener ,other than all the farming she has to do. But she said I KNOW that ground cover did not bloom a columbine flower.

I LOVE ground covers that grow thick because they help hold the weeds down. And YES this ground cover wants to take over everything. I really like it though. All my plants grow together and may the toughest survive. I did a slight intervention when I transplanted the Bergenia to the other side of the yard. It is struggling where it is. I think too much sun. Maybe this is a good thing. Soon that side of the yard will be shaded by the trees.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Funny, shadesofIdaho! Blooming columbine, indeed. Your ground cover is Lamium, White Nancy, and apparently Pink Nancy too! Also known as spotted dead nettle.

I agree about the ground covers being very useful but they also hide critters, which I'm not thrilled about. Gotta do something about that ... eventually.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Coneflowers. Even when I deadhead them right away, they still manage to multiply exponentially and strangle everything around them.

OP, I was surprised to read that bees and hummingbirds were not attracted to your bee balm (monarda). I have monarda and, while they are invasive, they attract tons of honeybees, bumblebees and hummingbirds to my yard. Fortunately, I planted mine in a separate section of the yard, so they have not choked out the plants in my main garden.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
in_newengland. The columbine flowering branch has fallen over and was covered by the ground cover before it was done blooming. The little flower bloomed up between the ground cover leaves. It is why we were laughing because my friend is not a big gardener ,other than all the farming she has to do. But she said I KNOW that ground cover did not bloom a columbine flower.

I LOVE ground covers that grow thick because they help hold the weeds down. And YES this ground cover wants to take over everything. I really like it though. All my plants grow together and may the toughest survive. I did a slight intervention when I transplanted the Bergenia to the other side of the yard. It is struggling where it is. I think too much sun. Maybe this is a good thing. Soon that side of the yard will be shaded by the trees.
Thanks, I get it now.

And Lamium, White Nancy, nettle--that's what was in my old yard. It was pretty on the little hillside where I could keep it contained next to a stone patio. Thanks, Lost Roses. The worst was called Bugle Weed, I think. It was an ugly (to me) reddish thing that spread like crazy where I was trying to grow grass. The leaves were sort of thick and non soft to walk in barefoot. Ajuga, that's it.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Funny, shadesofIdaho! Blooming columbine, indeed. Your ground cover is Lamium, White Nancy, and apparently Pink Nancy too! Also known as spotted dead nettle.

I agree about the ground covers being very useful but they also hide critters, which I'm not thrilled about. Gotta do something about that ... eventually.
Thank you Lost Roses for naming my ground cover. Wrote it down in my poor old OGF Encyclopedia. It is a well used book. the critters I find under it are Salamanders. I do not mind them as far as critters. In my patio flower beds I have frogs and I like them too. Mantis hang out around too. This has been a good year for them. But honestly this is the first time I ever knew mantis will hiss at you. I had some thing hissing at me in the flower bed so I left my weeding for awhile and when I came back the hissing was gone. Later the kitty was harassing one and dang if the little guy was not hissing at the cat. LOL

The critter in the garden I do NOT like are those hobo spiders. I call them blow up spiders. OH MY hundreds of babies hanging on mamas back and if you disturb they all scatter. Outside not so bad but I have had it happen in the house a few times.EEEEKKKK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden