Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times

Advertisements

Goji berry. I put one in a container in my front flower bed "temporary" and the roots went through the holes of container and spread. I'd figure just let it stay there but the long soft branches made it looks like overgrown weeds so, at my wife's insistence, I pulled it up a year later. The roots had gone underneath the concrete foundation of the house. Now 3 years later, I have new Goji berry plant coming back up. It's time to put in some more swear labor to pull them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
I wish my neighbor never planted his Norway maples. I have been tripping over roots and cutting down saplings for 35 years. It never ends.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,342 times
English Ivy

Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Where I lived before, planted a tree too close to the house. Planted a tree too close to the driveway. Now I know better.
I feel your pain. We bought a house with two magnificent Japanese maples. One of them is too close to the house, and the other is borderline. My husband refuses to take them down because they are so spectacular, but they just scream, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:00 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I have started over in so many yards. To think I did this to myself all on my own. LOL. I am still able to take care of the yard but time is flying by and some times I wonder what will come of it as I age further. And here I am planting even more of the blasted hollyhocks. But I am hoping to just cut them down in place every year and let them make mulch.

I only see a snake once in awhile and I am only fearful of the rattle snakes. We DO have a great big deer critter coming in every night. I think he/she is spending the night munching on what is left of the garden and morning glories. I am fine with it. Will save me some clean up when the big killing frost hits. Ha it is deer season and neighbors are hosting several hunters and here the deer is in our yard hiding out.

The little water feature in my patio area is just a smallish rubber tank with a fountain in it. It is almost time to drain it and flip it over for winter. The little frogs need to go to bed. Evening conversation between hubby and I . Him to me Why are you leaving the porch light on. I say I am feeding the frogs the light bugs. He walks away shaking his head speechless. But REALLY the frogs hang out on the side of the house by the porch light to catch their dinner. I think they are neat and make such big noise for such little guys. This year I do have a much larger frog than I have ever had but I do not think it is a bull frog.

I plan on being brutal ripping out next spring. I WANT to see my garden decor and not have the plants over take it.

Good luck getting rid of your critters.
And did I say I only see a snake once in awhile?? HA After resting from re-arranging furniture in the bedroom all day and then some I see the kitty playing with some thing. I went back to investigate because what she was playing with looked odd from 40+ foot away. OH Lordy it was a little snake. I felt so bad I did not see this sooner as there was a little bit of blood on its face. I carefully picked it up and took it to what I hope was a safe spot to recover, she body slammed it more than once before I got to her and it. I checked awhile later and it was gone. Hoping it is ok. This was not a rattler. Just a little garden snake. Kitty brought it in through the pet door I have going out to the out side kennel for house kitties.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Pampas Grass. The leaves are like razor blades, they get huge, and they are a fire risk. Taken out with chainsaws.
Palm trees. Grew to 60 feet in no time, required frequent frond trimming by pros, dropped seeds and fuzzy brown flowers everywhere. Removed three years ago, still pulling up seedlings every time it rains.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:43 PM

76 posts, read 94,384 times
Default Definitely Moonflower vine

[quote=LoriNJ;41554951]Every year, I plant 2 moonflower vines in pots and train them up an arching trellis. I love moonflowers. But yeah, those vines!!!! What I do works out well. In the fall, I cut down the vines and toss the plant that's in the pot. I haven't had any problem with "volunteers" the next year. I assume we are talking about the same plant and you aren't referring to datura, which are sometimes called moonflowers as well, but they don't have a vining habit.[/QUOTE

Good advice about confining it to a pot, and I do have a spot FAR from any fencing that it would probably love. Dare I plant two more seeds???

No, not datura--I have loved the double purple for years, though did steer away from the white. I replaced white with a peach brugmansia that never fails.

But this also reminded me of canna again and a bee balm that wanted to take the place. Oh, and an autumn clematis that appears out of nowhere!

Still enjoying this topic...

Old 10-19-2015, 03:01 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
I just remembered another nightmare - ribbon grass (phalaris arundinacea). I was at my sister's house one day admiring her variegated grass and she dug up a few pieces which I planted the next day. I just LOVED how they looked in the garden. About a month later she phoned me. "Dig it out. Toss it. It's growing everywhere....." I told her it looked so good in my garden and I didn't care if it spread. I put it in 2 places - dry shade and full sun - 2 little patches that grew to maybe a foot square by October. The following year, both areas had expanded to about 3 times the original. I still didn't move it.

By the third year it was running rampant, overtaking beds, destroying everything in its path, oh - I'd planted some around the garden shed in a spot where nothing ever grew. It flourished. And it was soooo hard to pull out. I pulled out as much as I could, then sold the house. I warned the new owners... but the last time I drove past, I caught a glimpse of the backyard. It was ever so green and white.. lol.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM

409 posts, read 872,825 times
I look back with regret on all of the money I spent on lemon trees and roses. I keep trying to grow them but they keep dying because its too hot and dry where I live. Just goes to show you just because something is being sold at your local big box store doesn't mean its suitable for your area.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Pampas Grass. The leaves are like razor blades, they get huge, and they are a fire risk. Taken out with chainsaws.
Palm trees. Grew to 60 feet in no time, required frequent frond trimming by pros, dropped seeds and fuzzy brown flowers everywhere. Removed three years ago, still pulling up seedlings every time it rains.
Pampas, really? I had some fantasies about planting pampas grass in the future. Thanks for the warning, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden