U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 27 days ago)

45,416 posts, read 56,718,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Pampas Grass. The leaves are like razor blades, they get huge, and they are a fire risk. Taken out with chainsaws.
Palm trees. Grew to 60 feet in no time, required frequent frond trimming by pros, dropped seeds and fuzzy brown flowers everywhere. Removed three years ago, still pulling up seedlings every time it rains.
OH YES, I once planted some ornamental grass that grew huge and required a chain saw to cut down in the spring. Big mistake. This thread is reminding me of the old house and how hard it was to keep up the yard. We have driven by a few times and the two women who bought the house have just given up I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 PM

9,834 posts, read 6,656,876 times
Sweet autumn clematis. Lovely plant, wonderful scent, but I didn't appreciate just how rampant a grower it is when I planted it next to my front door. I struggle to keep up with the pruning necessary to keep it from toppling the trellis over and totally over growing my foundation shrubs. Last year it was on the verge of climbing onto the roof!

But it does make a lovely waterfall of white for 2-3 weeks in the fall, so I was never able to bring myself to dig it up. Now I'm selling my house, and it will be someone else's pruning nightmare next spring.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:29 PM

5,178 posts, read 7,099,399 times
I had two....two ! episodes with pampas grass. Hoping that moving it would solve the rampant grow, therefore, having to cut it down with a chainsaw every year. I gave up after the second year move and had someone dig them out.

I have vincas everywhere but I love them. If they get too bad, I take some Roundup to the little ones. They are hard to deal with and I know I will curse them, again, in a year or two.

I have never had any problems with my mints.

I have spent a fortune on coneflower plants and seeds. Central Fl doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

I once had a moonflower vine grow up an outside light pole and start crawling and winding along the electric wire connected to the pole......that was about 20 ft off the ground......

I love this thread.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:24 AM

934 posts, read 1,031,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
English Ivy

English Ivy. Love it! but so do rodents!

And also regret having planted bamboo.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:35 AM

12,442 posts, read 13,550,463 times
Crepe Myrtles - they NEVER give up.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,751,091 times
I need some one or many to talk me out of planting Virginia Creeper across the front of the house. We have a South and West facing front porch and it is a heat trap. I can not plant a tree in front because we are already too close to the road. Also we park right in front and the snow plowing needed etc.

I have seen the Virginia Creeper grow really fast to make a nice showing within a year or so. Just really trying to shade the porch in summer.

Any other ideas. I have done morning glories for a few years and they do keep coming back but I am kind of tired of them there. I have 5 trellises a vine could grow up. Love the pretty red colors of the V-Creeper. I am Zone 4/5. Just on the verge of zone 5 and not all years. We can dip to 25 below once in awhile but it is not usually sustained for long.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:36 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,602,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
English Ivy. Love it! but so do rodents!

And also regret having planted bamboo.
Do the rodents like like to live under it because it is dense?

Also, which kind of bamboo? My husband keeps asking me to plant bamboo and ASSURES me there are well-behaved varieties, but I have nightmare visions of it taking over my yard and destroying our septic system in its search for water. Jeez, I am hearing the music from the shower scene in "Psycho" just thinking about it.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,602,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I had two....two ! episodes with pampas grass. Hoping that moving it would solve the rampant grow, therefore, having to cut it down with a chainsaw every year. I gave up after the second year move and had someone dig them out.

I have vincas everywhere but I love them. If they get too bad, I take some Roundup to the little ones. They are hard to deal with and I know I will curse them, again, in a year or two.

I have never had any problems with my mints.

I have spent a fortune on coneflower plants and seeds. Central Fl doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

I once had a moonflower vine grow up an outside light pole and start crawling and winding along the electric wire connected to the pole......that was about 20 ft off the ground......

I love this thread.
I love vinca, too. It shows up early in spring and is so cheerful. Right now, it's way in the back of my yard, so I don't care if it gets overgrown.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:51 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,025,522 times
Some plants that are perfectly fine are not fine if one plants too close to something. Plumbaga bush beautiful with lovely blue flowers grew roots under the house. Was quite a chore to get out. I kept it trimmed to fit the space, but the roots kept growing anyway!

Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,042,493 times
Horse radish, one root and the next fall I had enough to fill a wheel barrel. Had to dig three feet down and 4 feet across to remove all the roots. Beautiful tall plant, large spear head shaped leaves, but very invasive roots that go to about three feet or more down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden