Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
It came with this house when I moved in 5 years ago. My son had put up a lattice barrier to keep the dog out from under the deck and addition on the back of the house. So the vine comes up through the deck. It's a mess. I gotta take that barrier down, no easy chore. There will still be plenty of vine to attract the hummingbirds.
I actually have two that I planted, one yellow, and one orange. I hate like heck to get rid of them, for as you say, "the hummers", and during the winter they are full of little finches, wrens, chickadee's, and nuthatches who fly back and forth to the feeders nearby.
'Dilemma'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:15 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I actually have two that I planted, one yellow, and one orange. I hate like heck to get rid of them, for as you say, "the hummers", and during the winter they are full of little finches, wrens, chickadee's, and nuthatches who fly back and forth to the feeders nearby.
'Dilemma'
A long time ago, I was all ready to buy some trumpet vine from a mail order catalog. I loved seeing the bright orange flowers at a house I passed on my daily walk. Then I read about people experiencing TVR (Trumpet Vine Regret) because the darn things were out of control. I decided not to plant any. Whew. I think I dodged a viney bullet there.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
When I was young and dumb I planted spearmint. Old and regretful now.
I planted spearmint in its own little corner of the yard, far from any of my gardens. The soil is terrible there. I never water it. The spearmint keeps growing, regardless. But fortunately, it hasn't become invasive. I do love the scent of the leaves, and the purple spiked flowers attract a lot of insects. I hear you, though. Spearmint could easily take over the world.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
A long time ago, I was all ready to buy some trumpet vine from a mail order catalog. I loved seeing the bright orange flowers at a house I passed on my daily walk. Then I read about people experiencing TVR (Trumpet Vine Regret) because the darn things were out of control. I decided not to plant any. Whew. I think I dodged a viney bullet there.
If it is planted as a stand alone with no nearby flower beds, and just lawn surrounding it, it can be kept in check. Anywhere else! Get out the flame thrower. ;-)

Old 10-11-2015, 08:18 AM

649 posts, read 815,972 times
Bee balm ugh

Someone previous to me planted lily of the valley which has taken over all around our house. i love it, evergreen, makes flowers and I never have to mow it. I like the manner in which it spreads- like an encroaching army rather than sporadic colonists popping up 20' away from the clump. It has done me a tremendous favor.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:22 AM

Ah crap, I planted Bee Balm last year! Get out the shovel..............):

Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Idaho: Oh, the beautiful Hollyhocks! I have a feeling that I may have 834 billion pink ones next year.
I wonder if the colors change with cross pollination? I have some very dark reds and an almost black, of course pinks from light to dark and purple and white. NYC do your pink need friends?? HA

I am expanding the hollyhock bed across the lawn backing up to neighbor. I need a barrier between us and her ranch of thistles and awful weeds. Reminds me I need to get the rust moved over there as decor before the aspens grow up so much I can not get the old plow out from between them.

My plan on the hollyhocks on the bank is next year cut them down before they set seed. I am sure they will continue to come back for a few years because they bloom on last years plants. Then that pant dies. It will be hard to cut down a flowering plant but I think this is the only way to start to gain control. the same with the dames rocket. I can let it bloom but cut it quickly. Also the Larkspur. I will get a handle on those plants.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:08 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Rugosa Rose was fine where I used to live.

Planted one here in sandy beach soil and within three years it was a thorny monster.
Worse, thorny babies keep popping up in the lawn nearby. They're hard to dig out and make sure you don't go walking barefoot in the yard.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
wisteria…. will not die!!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
At my old house I planted anemone, and I had to move to get away from it. It is lovely in the fall garden when other flowers are spent, but the stuff spreads underground, and it's impossible to get rid of. I also would never plant houttania again. It is a very pretty ground cover, but it spreads too much and it has a stinky smell when you pull it up.

At this house, we planted 2 bottle brush bushes in front of our garage. Little did I know they grow into huge trees. They are getting ripped out today, and hopefully I can transplant one of them to an appropriate spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden