Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,366,456 times

Advertisements

Does it matter so much if it gets hot in the afternoon, even if it gets quite cold overnight? Here this week it's 50s overnight (was 49 this morning) but the days are reaching the high 80s and low 90s. I have only lived in this state since December, (when the trees were already bare) but I been told that the leaves really begin changing towards the end of October. How much does it matter if it gets really warm in the day, even if it gets quite cool at night? Does it affect colour intensity or what? How would such weather affect trees in say, Pennsylvania, which is far more showy than northern Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM

9,344 posts, read 13,928,855 times
Color intensity relates to how well chlorophyll (the green pigment) breaksdown and how well the red pigments build up. Chlorophyll breakdown is triggered by the calendar because it requires nights to get longer. Warm days and cold nights produce the BEST color. During the day the leaves make their normal sugars but the cold nights slow the sugars from moving out of the leaves. The high light of sunny days and the high sugars mean lots of red pigments are made. I think orage just goes along for the ride.

So the answer to your question is the sunny hot days coupled with cold nights are IDEAL. Even in Texas.

Different species or at least cultivars of trees grow in TX vs PA, and the combination of species, daylength, temps, moisture, etc. mean that fall color will look different in each place.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
I've heard that wet, late summer/early fall encourages vibrant colors.

also, high winds are bad for colors and leaf peepers

Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've heard that wet, late summer/early fall encourages vibrant colors.

also, high winds are bad for colors and leaf peepers
I think I heard the opposite, that a wet rainy spring/early summer and a dry fall are the best, but I may be mistaken. I hope that's actually the case, because trust me, our spring and early summer has been wet as a duck's bottom! (You can ask the folks down in Houston about that)

Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Color intensity relates to how well chlorophyll (the green pigment) breaksdown and how well the red pigments build up. Chlorophyll breakdown is triggered by the calendar because it requires nights to get longer. Warm days and cold nights produce the BEST color. During the day the leaves make their normal sugars but the cold nights slow the sugars from moving out of the leaves. The high light of sunny days and the high sugars mean lots of red pigments are made. I think orage just goes along for the ride.

So the answer to your question is the sunny hot days coupled with cold nights are IDEAL. Even in Texas.

Different species or at least cultivars of trees grow in TX vs PA, and the combination of species, daylength, temps, moisture, etc. mean that fall color will look different in each place.
Well I hope they get nice and showy! Some of the trees have started changing already, which looks odd when it's in the 80s and 90s. But most are still green. It's a little by little process but very nice to see.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 PM

87 posts, read 137,908 times
I am pretty sure a wet Summer is needed.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,175,036 times
I agree that abundant spring and summer rainfall is vital for a spectacular fall foliage display, with that in mind, I suspect that with the weather of late in parts of fall foliage Mecca(New England), that the fall foliage season there might be more muted in intensity(unless late summer and early fall brings copious amounts of rainfall).

Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 PM

7,123 posts, read 4,960,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Color intensity relates to how well chlorophyll (the green pigment) breaksdown and how well the red pigments build up. Chlorophyll breakdown is triggered by the calendar because it requires nights to get longer. Warm days and cold nights produce the BEST color. ....

Absolutely right in principle: Warm, sunny days in fall allow photosynthesis to proceed in high gear, but long, cold nites prevent the "used up" chlorophyll to be replaced-- allowing the always-there-but-hidden-under-the-green pigments (carotenoids & anthocycanin) to show thru.

Warm, sunny days & cold, clear nites in the fall. Spring, summer & rain have nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden