Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 02:50 PM

54 posts, read 204,883 times

Advertisements

Wanted to see what people thought. I attempted 3 years ago to plant grass seed.... I irrigated the yard, installed edge pavers and everything. It was a total bust and only grew in patches... now im getting ready to sell the home and want to plant sod so it looks appealing.
My question is after 3 years of fighting weeds by spraying weed/grass killer on the dirt (this is in phoenix), is that going to effect me tilling the back yard and laying down sod? I hate to do through the work and spend the money only for it to not survive....

I still need to research exactly the best way to lay sod but I wanted to see if I was thinking too much into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:30 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Hosic,
First, DON"T TILL THE DIRT.
When you till, you are bringing up all the weed seeds that have been in the soil that are
waiting to grow out.
Don't bother sodding the yard just to sell the house. It's a lot of work, water, prep time,
you really have to be dedicated to wanting a beautiful lawn to get it to look nice.
You just want to sell the house, so the dedication is not there.
Just sell it.
Or mow the existing grass that you already have and seed it now. You will spend alot of money
on water even for seed. But it may look nice in a month.
Good luck to you.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:41 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
In answer to the OP question, every weed killer has different environmental properties. Some are eaten by soil bacteria and quickly inactivated. Some are easily washed away by rain. Some like roundup stick so tightly to the soil that they never can be weedkillers again. But every weed killer would be essentially "gone" after 3 yrs or it would never have a government permit allowing it to be sold. But obviously from your question, you must have applied weed killer recently as well. Do you remember the name of it? I am guessing that if the last time you applied it was last year you will be fine, but a shorter interval might also be ok depending on what you used.

Here's what you can do. Till up the soil, maybe 3-4 inches, making it as fine as possible. Then rake it smooth. Roll out the sod, tamp the sod into the soil so there is good contact, and keep watering every couple of days for 3 wks, then water twice a week. Beautiful lawn!

This type of tilling and planting will not give the weed seeds in the soil a chance to germinate (requires light plus moisture) and the sod will smother any that try. Seeding will only allow the weeds a chance to come up, but sod will absolutely prevent it.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:37 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP it depends on what type of weed killer you used. Regular Round-Up (glyphosate) has no residual effect in the soil so there would be no worry there. But if you used a soil sterilant like Pramitol or Ground clear those chemicals can be active for up to 10 years in the soil.
What if potential buyers don't want grass. You might want to dress the area up with decorative rock or decomposed granite which is common and very popular in the deserts of AZ.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Pramitol half life is estimated to be 1.5 to 6 months. Imazapyr, the long life ingredient in Ground Clear, has a half life of 1 to 5 months. So saying that these herbicides are active for 10 yrs is somewhat of an exaggeration unless the person who applied the herbicide applied way more than he should have.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:05 PM

54 posts, read 204,883 times
Thank you guys for the input... Im ended up gambling and have decided to put some sod down. Wish me the best

Old 10-30-2015, 11:43 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Pramitol half life is estimated to be 1.5 to 6 months. Imazapyr, the long life ingredient in Ground Clear, has a half life of 1 to 5 months. So saying that these herbicides are active for 10 yrs is somewhat of an exaggeration unless the person who applied the herbicide applied way more than he should have.
That half life is for heavy rain areas that dilute it quicker, in low rainfall areas it takes much longer to travel down into the soil to be safely used. That information comes from the U of A agricultural dept.

Here is a study by the U of Nevada verifying my statement.
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...011/fs1159.pdf

quote: Soil sterilant herbicides are “total kill” products that last in the soil for long periods, sometimes for 10 or more years, particularly in arid environments. They have the potential to unintentionally cause significant damage to desirable plants... unquote

Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
That half life is for heavy rain areas that dilute it quicker, in low rainfall areas it takes much longer to travel down into the soil to be safely used. That information comes from the U of A agricultural dept.

Here is a study by the U of Nevada verifying my statement.
http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications...011/fs1159.pdf

quote: Soil sterilant herbicides are “total kill” products that last in the soil for long periods, sometimes for 10 or more years, particularly in arid environments. They have the potential to unintentionally cause significant damage to desirable plants... unquote
Sorry, but no. Unless the herbicide is highly water soluble, the amount of rain is not the big factor, it is the pH (soil acidity), the amount of soil organic matter, and the soil microbes that count. Also, a soil sterilant herbicide was not used here. Very few herbicides kill all the weeds for a long time, and those are only allowed in places like rail road tracks or other critical weed-free areas.

It is possible that the low rainfall and other adverse factors will mess up the microbes however, just to be fair to the good folks at UNV.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:14 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
Help is only a phone call away! 1-800-543 TURF (8873)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden