Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times

Advertisements

Has anyone successfully grown tomatoes in hanging units? My garden space is a bit limited. After watching a show about Disney World and their success growing veggies in hanging containers, I thought it might be fun to do myself. I have found a few places that sell the hanging tomato containers. But figured I would see if anyone here has any hands on experience and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
There are several tomato variety that are referred to as "patio plants". I think they would do okay in a hanging basket. For a lark I tried to grow Sweet 101 cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets one year . . . they kind of got out of hand.

The main problem I see with grow something like tomatoes in baskets is having to water them constantly if your summers are as hot as mine are here in Tennessee, plus you would need to use a fairly large container.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
If they are fed, tomatoes do not need all that much soil nor that big a container.
But alleycat is right, tomatoes will need plenty of water.
And they definitely can get kind of out of hand, but I guess that's part of the fun (not to mention the taste.)
Sweet 100's or Yellow Pear would be a good way to do it.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
If they are fed, tomatoes do not need all that much soil nor that big a container.
But alleycat is right, tomatoes will need plenty of water.
And they definitely can get kind of out of hand, but I guess that's part of the fun (not to mention the taste.)
Sweet 100's or Yellow Pear would be a good way to do it.
I couldn't remember whether it was Sweet 100 or Sweet 101 -- that's the tomato I meant in my original reply. I love those things.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I found an ad in the August 07 issue of Taste of Home Magazine for a topsy turvy tomato planter. I can't find the item on their online store. But I did find the tomato hangers here: TopsyTurvys.com - Turning Gardening Upside-Down
I think I might try these. Its hot and dry where I live, so I have to water alot anyway. If I can free up some garden space for other things, that would be great.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:12 PM

I say . . . try it! If it doesn't work you're not going to be out a lot of money. And if it does . . . enjoy!

By the way, have you ever grown tomatoes in a cage?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I say . . . try it! If it doesn't work you're not going to be out a lot of money. And if it does . . . enjoy!

By the way, have you ever grown tomatoes in a cage?
I figured it would be pretty cheap too. I have grown tomatoes in a cage before and did well. When I lived in Sacramento, it was easy. But where I live now, the soil is sandy with clay and our growing season is pretty short. I haven't been able to get the soil/fertilizer/fresh soil mixture to produce large amounts of tomatoes. Neither have my friends.

I found a few early producing tomatoes that might yield a decent crop. Someone I know here planted 4th of July Tomatoes, an early producing plant and did very well last year. I think that is one variety I will go with this year. I plan to can homemade sauce this year and want a large crop with 3-4 varieties.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 AM

I never grew 4th of Julys. Early Girl was an early ripening variety that I thought was pretty good.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 49,457 times
I saw the same Topsy-turvy tomato planter and wanted to try it too. But I saw it in a Harriet Carter magazine and they were only $9.95 or 2 for $18.50. Same thing as your link, but maybe not as pretty. Cheaper way to try to out.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkett View Post
I saw the same Topsy-turvy tomato planter and wanted to try it too. But I saw it in a Harriet Carter magazine and they were only $9.95 or 2 for $18.50. Same thing as your link, but maybe not as pretty. Cheaper way to try to out.
Thanks, I will check that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden