Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 03:36 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I grew up in Southern California and grew lots of full-sun and tropical plants. Among them were plumerias. I have been living in Chicago for the past 8 years and finally bought a place that had "ample" outdoor space last year. This summer I had my mom send me plumeria cuttings from her garden. I have about 6 of them, plus another 1 cutting that a friend of mine in Hawaii sent (that was the only one that did not survive - root rot). Anyway, I brought the plumerias all inside last month because the temperatures dropped down. They have been by the sliding glass doors. All but one have dropped their leaves (which never happened to me in SoCal). Are these plants going into hibernation of sorts? Or are they doomed to die indoors? They have "baby leaves" on the tips but do not seem to be growing anymore. I do not water them too much, even when they were outside I was only watering about once a week. Indoors has been even scarcer. I constantly check their stems if they are starting to rot. The temperatures are up in the low 70s this week (forecast says 50s on the low - no frost yet though) and I am contemplating bringing them back out for a few days before it gets cold again this weekend.

Can anyone provide some Plumeria expert advice?

Also, I have three tall potted Passion Vine Flower plants (and another 4 small potted passion vines) that I'd like to save and keep alive - most of which grown from seeds. Those have been indoors the same time as the plumerias. Any advice on indoor care on those as well is most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I'm very surprised your So Cal plumerias didn't drop their leaves, That's normal. They drop their leaves and there are new tiny leaves in a very short time.

I've never grown them indoors...but I've grown a lot of plumerias. Were I you I'd keep them outside until the temps stay below 60-ish during the day then bring them in. Put them where they'll get a lot of natural light, water when dry and let them be. Their growth spurt will come when it's warm again.

Plumerias can be surprisingly hearty. They grow in Phoenix through months of 100-plus degree temperatures.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-06-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Song,
DOn't water your potted plummies any more this winter.
They don't need water at all when they go dormant.
They will be fine. Just put them away, literally, in a darker space
and let them sleep over the winter.
They will put on new growth next spring when the weather starts to
warm up. They will tell you when to start watering and fertilizing again.
I take mine outside at the end of April, I am in zone 8, when I know there will be
higher temps at night. Then I gradually expose them to sun again. Usually morning
sun only for the first month, then I increase it as they grow back leaves.
They should look like stumps in their pots over the winter.
If you water them when they are dormant, they will rot.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:16 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
Thanks for the tips! I watered them last night cause the soil looked dry, but I guess that will be the last watering until Spring time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden