Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

Everything I've read says not to prune in the fall. But my client insists I prune her 5'6" tall, 5' wide rose bush. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:07 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Go for it.

Them babies are tough as can be.

They grow roses commercially where I live, and to prune em = chainsaw.

Yep they just cut them right off. No finesse whatsoever.

The blooms the following year are ever more spectacular.

It'll be quiet through winter then be twice as prolific in spring if you prune it back hard.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If they insist, do it, but get their request in writing. What is likely to happen in a cold winter climate is more die-back
so there will be a lot of cleaning up to do in spring, with dead branches to be trimmed or removed. It will most likely survive, but just end up much shorter.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:02 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
For most perennials that will be exposed to freezing temperatures, the key to success is this: Prune when the plant is dormant. If you prune at a time that the buds will break due to the pruning, all of that growing tissue then will be killed by freezing temps.

That is why the best times to prune are in the summer and in the dead of winter. If you prune within 2 to 3 mo before freezing, those new little branches that will be encouraged to grow out will not have enough time to toughen up (also called hardening). Freezing will kill them, and that will be that. If you had wanted to prune in early Fall but missed your time, wait until after freezing has occurred. Then your pruning will not have any adverse effects.

Of course with a plant that you cut back hard, meaning within a foot of the ground, it may be as cindersslipper says. There may not be any buds to be liberated at that time, so maybe you'll be okay. Just remember to mulch the crown to protected it from freezing if you can.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Lol poor OP will be even more confused...!

OP you do what they want. They are the ones paying you.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:13 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
You don't say where you are located. In NY and DE. I cut the roses way down in Mid-March every year. I never have a problem and my roses were and are beautiful. I would want to know where you are located in order to comment.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For most perennials that will be exposed to freezing temperatures, the key to success is this: Prune when the plant is dormant. If you prune at a time that the buds will break due to the pruning, all of that growing tissue then will be killed by freezing temps.

That is why the best times to prune are in the summer and in the dead of winter. If you prune within 2 to 3 mo before freezing, those new little branches that will be encouraged to grow out will not have enough time to toughen up (also called hardening). Freezing will kill them, and that will be that. If you had wanted to prune in early Fall but missed your time, wait until after freezing has occurred. Then your pruning will not have any adverse effects.

Of course with a plant that you cut back hard, meaning within a foot of the ground, it may be as cindersslipper says. There may not be any buds to be liberated at that time, so maybe you'll be okay. Just remember to mulch the crown to protected it from freezing if you can.
^^^Op this is the correct information. Show it to your client. If they insist you cut the rose bush then do it and charge them for it. Write on your bill 'cut a customers request, no warranties expressed'.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 PM

50,375 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Not sure where you live, but I just pruned my Knockout rose bushes way down to about 2', about 3 weeks ago, fertilized and mulched and they are looking so happy now. I live in the south, so we will not get a hard freeze until about January.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:29 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The customer wants the bush pruned, so prune the bush.

Leave 2 ft or maybe just a little more and then go back in the spring and cut off whatever has died over the winter. You can cut roses back to just nubs and still get a nice rose bush and it seems like the harder you cut it back, the better it will flower the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden