Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:51 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,479 times

Advertisements

My neighbor insists that these bananas are plantains, but they don't look like any plantains I've ever eaten. They're about half the length. Do you know if these are edible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:15 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
They look like plantains to me. There are probably over a thousand varieties of bananas and plantains and they are all going to look a little different from one another.

I don't know of anything that looks like a banana that can't be safely eaten. If it is sweet, eat it and if it is not sweet, bake it.

If you pulled it off the tree, that is a banana / plantain leaf.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:16 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I don't know of any banana that isn't edible. We had a few different types in Florida. (Bananas don't grow on trees. They are cormes or some such pithy open structured stems.)

Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Those look like the common Mexican Burro Bannana. Edible, A little dryer and not quite as sweet as the Cavendish Banana one usually finds in the grocery store, but still pretty good. All Bananas should not be eaten if they have any green on them. but us Americans seem to prefer the Cavendish when not fully ripe.

I am not aware of any members of the banana family that are not edible. Some just taste better than the others and plantains are best cooked.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They look like plantains to me. There are probably over a thousand varieties of bananas and plantains and they are all going to look a little different from one another.

I don't know of anything that looks like a banana that can't be safely eaten. If it is sweet, eat it and if it is not sweet, bake it.

If you pulled it off the tree, that is a banana / plantain leaf.
True advice: " If it is sweet, eat it and if it is not sweet, bake it." simple and to the point.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've never heard of a non-edible banana. I know there are ornamental banana plants, but I don't think those produce fruit. I was just confused about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Those look like the common Mexican Burro Bannana. Edible, A little dryer and not quite as sweet as the Cavendish Banana one usually finds in the grocery store, but still pretty good. All Bananas should not be eaten if they have any green on them. but us Americans seem to prefer the Cavendish when not fully ripe.

I am not aware of any members of the banana family that are not edible. Some just taste better than the others and plantains are best cooked.
I always cook plantains.

Why shouldn't bananas be eaten with any green on them?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've never heard of a non-edible banana. I know there are ornamental banana plants, but I don't think those produce fruit. I was just confused about this one.

I always cook plantains.

Why shouldn't bananas be eaten with any green on them?
The less green the less undigestable starch. A few brown specks the higher the sugar content.

While a banana with green on it is not poisonous the high startch content does cause upset stomachs for some people.

I have found that in some parts of Mexico there is local belief that a banana with green on it is poisonous, but that seems to be an "old wive's tale" and not actually true. but it is true the more green the higher the amount of non-digestible starch it will have.

I won't eat a banana that does not have some brown spots, because I find they taste better.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The less green the less undigestable starch. A few brown specks the higher the sugar content.

While a banana with green on it is not poisonous the high startch content does cause upset stomachs for some people.

I have found that in some parts of Mexico there is local belief that a banana with green on it is poisonous, but that seems to be an "old wive's tale" and not actually true. but it is true the more green the higher the amount of non-digestible starch it will have.

I won't eat a banana that does not have some brown spots, because I find they taste better.
Oh, I didn't know that.

I'm not a fan of very ripe bananas. If they have too many brown spots I won't eat them.

I ate one of the bananas and it tasted fine. It was fully yellow (I think the one I posted a pic of) but wasn't too sweet. Pretty much how I like them.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:18 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Looks like you have citrus in the background. I didn't know you can grow bananas and citrus in Houston.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
They look like apple bananas. I got to try those in Hawaii. But will they kill you? Just don't leave them on the same counter as the knife block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden