Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as letting a church or community service organization use someone's backyard to garden, and grow food for food pantries?

I did find a thread about something sort of similar... someone was asking to rent out a portion to use for farming for themselves.

My husband and I think about retiring one day in a more rural area (or even suburban, but with lots of space) but we're not gardeners... at all! lol!
While he grew up in England, he never participated in the English garden thing and I grew up in apartments and we live in one now in Southern California. While I appreciate and admire those who have a green thumb, the best I ever did was a chia pet. I do know how to pull a few weeds and hold a hose though.

Anyway, retirement is still a way bit off, but we still like to research possibilities such as the PNW or... somewhere, anywhere greener and less crowded.
If we bought a house on a property, I was thinking if the land is good enough for a garden why not let it be used for good? Just a thought, and wondering if anyone has done this? (and yeah, there'd probably have to be waivers and other whatnot according to how uptight the local government would be)

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Sounds like a liability to you in this day and age. Suppose that there was a toxin in your yard that poisoned the consumers. Theres prob also a law about that on the books. Ive heard in some areas its actually illegal to grow food for charity. What a world we live in.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
My grandparents did this. They lived next to a church and let the church have a 2 acre garden on their property. That was many years ago, but why not give it a try? The grans did the plowing, etc. because their property had once been a working farm.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Sounds like a liability to you in this day and age. Suppose that there was a toxin in your yard that poisoned the consumers. Theres prob also a law about that on the books. Ive heard in some areas its actually illegal to grow food for charity. What a world we live in.
OP, do not listen to this alarmist hearsay bullcrap. It's all wrong.

Good Samaritan laws protect people who are donating food and other items to charities in good faith.

Food Protection Act | Protecting Feeding America Partners

And it is no one's business, nor is it illegal to do so, if you grow food on your property and donate it to charity.

Of course, you'd want to make sure that zoning and other codes permit you to grow a vegetable garden in the location you've chosen. You'd also want to have an agreement with whoever is managing the garden that would absolve you of liability, etc. Your insurance company and/or attorney can help you with that.

It's a a fine idea, and a great volunteer project for a church or youth group. Good for you.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Thanks for the replies. It's good to know it's possible because it would be lovely to share and yes, we would go into any agreement with our eyes open, and with proper insurance. Heck all kinds of accidents can happen on one's property anyway. Tripping on a rake is one of many possibilities!

I don't blame "theguydownsouth" for being a bit paranoid, because in reality absurd lawsuits do happen, and I think different states might have different laws etc. In the 80's when I worked for a while at a County club as a banquet server, we would throw so much food away! I asked if we could donate it to a homeless shelter and there was no way because of liability etc. However, the manager would allow us to take the food home for ourselves, in which case I often gave it away to someone. It was Los Angeles after all, and there are homeless folks around.
My first husband's friend was sued for hitting a guy with his car when he ran into the street. Never saw him coming. The reason he was running into the street?... he was being chased down by 2 managers of a restaurant when he skipped out on his bill! Ran right in front of our friend's car and got injured. Our friend was sued and his insurance company settled or something.

Well, didn't mean to get into all of that stuff, but I guess it goes with the territory of just trying to help out a bit in this day and age!

Anyway, thank you again! This makes me happy

Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I suggest that you consult with your insurance agent.

Only one of the local churches in my area does any growing of food and they have a fruit orchard to grow fruit to donate. I am uncertain about any churches having enough energy to do hard physical gardening.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OP, do not listen to this alarmist hearsay bullcrap. It's all wrong.

Good Samaritan laws protect people who are donating food and other items to charities in good faith.

Food Protection Act | Protecting Feeding America Partners

And it is no one's business, nor is it illegal to do so, if you grow food on your property and donate it to charity.

Of course, you'd want to make sure that zoning and other codes permit you to grow a vegetable garden in the location you've chosen. You'd also want to have an agreement with whoever is managing the garden that would absolve you of liability, etc. Your insurance company and/or attorney can help you with that.

It's a a fine idea, and a great volunteer project for a church or youth group. Good for you.
So if anything happens to the OP I fully expect you to front the cash for their attorney and court costs? Fair?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Consult with your insurance agent, the zoning inspector, and have your attorney draw up a contract. That's just the reality we live in. It is a very nice thought and I wish you luck.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
in reality absurd lawsuits do happen, and I think different states might have different laws etc.
People can sue for whatever they like, but they won't win. The Good Samaritan food donation law is a national one. As long as you climate In good faith, thou have no liability for anything that harkens after the food is donated.

Quote:
In the 80's when I worked for a while at a County club as a banquet server, we would throw so much food away! I asked if we could donate it to a homeless shelter and there was no way because of liability etc.
The 80s are over. Usually if an organization refuses a donation, it's because it doesn't have the capacity to pick it up, store it, or handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So if anything happens to the OP I fully expect you to front the cash for their attorney and court costs? Fair?
Don't be obtuse.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
A a garden coop we leased five acres privately after the City of Richmond, BC kicked us off of city land, and gave it to a developer. We found the private lease to actually be better. We kicked in an amount each to till, manure, add lime, and other preparations on the land, and probably in the USA there'd be water fees of some kind on acreage.

There are thousands of garden societies around and lots of leases as examples I'm sure. ONe thing we didn't want to do is have raised beds, or add ons such as trelisses had to all be removed in the fall, to get tilling and other equipment work going smoothly. We had a 100 members and few issues. Of course you have at that size a volunteer committee, lease persons reporting to the landowner, etc.

The problem now also with city land is they'd have lots of stake holders that you'd have to provide for, but in your case since it's you land you set the standards. My grandparents set aside an acre for a country church and lived long enough to see it given back to them. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden