Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a new home owner and I am very new to lawn care. When I purchased the house I didn't see any weeds, but when I left for a few months for work and got back in December I noticed that weeds were starting to take over our back yard. When I went to lowes they recommended image concentrate so I tested out an area and waited a while and nothing happened. I went back to lowes and somebody else recommended that I try spectracide weed stop concentrate, it's been about two weeks since I've used that and the weeds look exactly the same. It's been pretty cold the past couple of weeks so I'm wondering if maybe that's why I didn't get any results. Both times I made sure to spray in the middle of the day since it's a little warmer around that time and when there was no rain in the forecast for a few days. I dig out the weeds whenever I get a chance but there are so many weeds that I don't know if I have time to get them all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Do you know what kind of grass you have? Assuming you have one of the typical southern lawn grasses, get a bag of Scott's Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns. You can use a cheaper brand, if you want, but Scott's is the best. Put it on the lawn in March and then follow up with subsequent applications according to the instructions on the bag.

It is not an instantaneous process, but one that works as the healthy grass chokes out the weeds. You want to get a deep healthy root system on the grass, and it will spread and choke out the weeds at the same time that the weeds are being killed. You might also spread some grass seed in the spring or fall.

If you only treat the weeds on a spot basis, all you will do is create bare spots.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM

400 posts, read 573,656 times
You need to wait until the weeds are actively growing before spraying. That will give you the best results in the long run, and I'd suspect that's why you aren't seeing results. Image can take up to 5 weeks to work, but the spectracide has 2,4-D in it and you should have seen curling of the leaves within a couple days and death in a couple weeks.

I prefer spraying to weed and feed, just because you can get a better kill and apply the spray exactly when you want to. If you have a smaller yard, it's not hard to do with a handheld or hose end sprayer.

Weed and feed works too. I tend to differ on Scotts being the best - what they are the best at is taking a commodity product and aggressively marketing it such that consumers think there is a value associated with the brand name. You can easily compare fertilizers based on the labels - look for the nutrient levels and active herbicide ingredients. Then you can make an informed decision based on the price/performance benefits.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:15 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
If someone moved in next to me and their first step was to pour chemicals all over the lawn, I'd be pissed. OP are you a real poster or do you work for an herbicide company? My advice is leave the poor weeds alone and just mow them. They won't kill you and some may be natives, beneficial plants or host plants for beneficial insects.

My advice is to take the chemicals back to the store. They aren't working for you anyway, it would seem. Then scratch or aerate the lawn and throw down some grass seed. You can mow weeds just fine and have a nice green lawn.

My two cents. BTW this is the garden forum, not the chemical and toxin forum. :runs and hides:

Old 02-01-2016, 12:49 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
I would hate to live near kinkytoes - her weeds would be ruining my pristine monocultured grass and causing me extra labor and chemical cost.

OP - in what zone do you live and what type of grass do you have or want?

Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
You need to wait until the weeds are actively growing before spraying. That will give you the best results in the long run, and I'd suspect that's why you aren't seeing results. Image can take up to 5 weeks to work, but the spectracide has 2,4-D in it and you should have seen curling of the leaves within a couple days and death in a couple weeks.

I prefer spraying to weed and feed, just because you can get a better kill and apply the spray exactly when you want to. If you have a smaller yard, it's not hard to do with a handheld or hose end sprayer.

Weed and feed works too. I tend to differ on Scotts being the best - what they are the best at is taking a commodity product and aggressively marketing it such that consumers think there is a value associated with the brand name. You can easily compare fertilizers based on the labels - look for the nutrient levels and active herbicide ingredients. Then you can make an informed decision based on the price/performance benefits.
YES!!! Spraying dormant weeds does no good. Also, if you can get your hands on Cotton Seed Meal and apply it as a pre-emergent you will eventually get rid of all your weeds in a totally safe, non-chemical organic way.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Cottonseed meal is a fertilizer:

Espoma Organic Cottonseed Meal | Espoma

Perhaps you were thinking of corn gluten meal. However...

Quote:
Dr. Nick Christians... is credited with developing corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent lawn herbicide. His product kills the dicot weeds (clover, plantain, dandelions etc.) before they grow to adult size. The weed seeds actually do germinate, but the corn gluten meal inhibits the expansion of the plants’ roots and they quickly die of dehydration. So far, so good.

Iowa State’s own research on the subject, however, shows that to achieve anything close to full control requires the application of at least 20 pounds of corn gluten meal per 1,000 square feet — at exactly the right time in the spring — just before the weed seeds germinate. Corn gluten meal doesn’t inhibit weeds that already have root systems; in fact it makes fully formed weeds grown even faster due to the nitrogen content of the product.

...I wrote a whole chapter in my book about weed control that had very little about corn gluten meal, for all the reasons stated above. If your lawn is mostly weeds, it’s because your soil wants to grow weeds and not grass. The sustainable way to manage weeds on the lawn is to change the soil conditions so the soil wants to grow grass... Other weed control factors include: 1) mowing height, the taller the grass, the fewer the weeds; 2) avoiding raking in spring so weed seeds don’t get stirred up and germinate; 3) overseeding whenever thin or bare spots appear on the lawn; 4) pulling or spot spraying weeds with organic herbicides when necessary.
Corn Gluten Meal as Weed Control?: 20 Years Later, the Jury is Still Out - SafelawnsSafelawns

Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
In case you didn't know: weeds are actively growing when the temperature is over 50 degrees.

when they are actively growing, the weeds will take in the chemicals.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
I would not recommend Spectracide, go wth Ortho Weed B Gon.

Lawn Weed Control-Weed Killers-Ortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie0211 View Post
Hello All,

I am a new home owner and I am very new to lawn care. When I purchased the house I didn't see any weeds, but when I left for a few months for work and got back in December I noticed that weeds were starting to take over our back yard. When I went to lowes they recommended image concentrate so I tested out an area and waited a while and nothing happened. I went back to lowes and somebody else recommended that I try spectracide weed stop concentrate, it's been about two weeks since I've used that and the weeds look exactly the same. It's been pretty cold the past couple of weeks so I'm wondering if maybe that's why I didn't get any results. Both times I made sure to spray in the middle of the day since it's a little warmer around that time and when there was no rain in the forecast for a few days. I dig out the weeds whenever I get a chance but there are so many weeds that I don't know if I have time to get them all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 02-20-2016 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 03:17 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Image should have worked in about a week if the plants were growing, but it only kills the youngest parts of the plants--new leaves, shoots, and roots. The old part of the plant would take longer to kill but it eventually would die of starvation. The spectracide kills the existing leaves, but not necessarily leaf buds, a completely different way of working. Spectracide works best on sunshiny days. If you use either of these at the proper dilution you should get a noticeable response. The spectracide will look like more killing is occuring because it sort of fries the leaves, but actually the image will prevent any regrowth and give better weed control in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden