Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:27 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times

Advertisements

When people refer to "spraying" fruit trees what are they using. Apparently you can't get fruit from them unless you spray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
People usually spray the trees for insects. Contact your local county extension agent for insects in your geographical area. They can also recommend what you should use to prevent them.

If you do not spray, the fruit will still be produced, but it is usually wormy.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,384 times
It really depends on what you are growing. There are insecticidal sprays, anti-bacterial sprays and fungicides. If you but resistant trees or happen to live in an area where there are fewer problems that affect the trees then you can get away with spraying less or not spraying at all and still get decent fruit. Is there a specific type of fruit you'd like to grow?

Old 01-31-2016, 06:16 AM

Was thinking about some apple trees

Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
don't forget to wash off the poison (real good) before you eat the fruit

Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,384 times
Apple trees are one that people recommend pretty serious spraying schedules for, but in my experience it doesn't have to be so. Since you haven't purchased your tree yet, one thing you could consider is buying a resistant variety like William's Pride or Jonah Free. They've been bred to turn out nice apples with no or less spray.

That said, I grow 2 varieties that are not resistant (Spitzenburg and Honeycrisp) and have 1 deer apple tree. I dormant oil spray the 2 eating apples in late winter, but do no additional spraying. I bought drawf trees and prune them every year, so it is easy to see if I have a pest problem developing. So far, tent worms have been my only problem, and they were easy to remove without spraying. My apples look and taste great - and even many of the deer apples, which weren't sprayed at all, looked very nice.

Keep your tree area neat, feed the soil around the trees, prune them yearly and learn to spot early signs of a problem and you can get away with very little or no spray.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:52 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
When people refer to "spraying" fruit trees what are they using. Apparently you can't get fruit from them unless you spray
Fruit trees will produce fruit without spraying.

The problem is that insects might infest the orchard and destroy your crop.

The predominate spray is 'Dormant Oil' spray.

Dormant Oil spray is simple veggie oil. Some people may add pesticides to their dormant oil spray, some people do not.

I have 16 apple trees and an assortment of 30 other fruit / nut trees [cherry, plum, walnut, etc].

Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
I personally do not have any fruit trees, but I run a garden service and maintain around 25 yards, I do not use any chemicals, I use a spray made of pyrethrum flowers, garlic and soap to spray any fruit trees, roses, shrubs, citrus and so on. The pyrethrum flowers, feverfew daisy, is an insecticide, garlic is an anti fungal, the soap is to make it sticky. I use it in the early spring before the flowers open and after that I spray it on the branches and the trunk to avoid killing bees. It keeps ants from setting up home on the tree. The garlic kills molds and fungus. This spray kills ants, wasps, yellow jackets, aphids, scale, white fly and termites, any arthropod.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Some people spray fruit trees. When I first got my apple trees, I tried spraying, but all of the warnings made me paranoid. Now I know that I should research disease resistant varieties before I buy plants. There are some disease resistant apples that supposedly give you decent fruit without spraying.

My other fruit produce fine without spraying. Bugs are the main problem. I eat around the bugs, or cut up the fruit and cut out any buggy parts to make salad or jelly. Fruits such as pawpaw, figs and raspberries have few or no bugs in my yard. Sometimes my peach trees get fungus, but pruning seems to help. So does getting the fruit before it is too ripe. I've also bagged fruit in the past with some success. This is done apparently in Japan and Korea if memory serves.

So you can get quite a lot of fruit without spraying. Pick the varieties carefully. Also learn what other plants can give your fruit trees diseases. My yard has lots of junipers, so most apples and crabapples (and hawthorns ) are a no no. As others mentioned, people spray for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM

Thank you all, very informative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden