Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 AM

346 posts, read 550,605 times

Advertisements

I do treat my lawn in June with grub granules. Anyways, turns out it's chipmunks making tunnels. So I've gotten the trap out again, already disposed of two already. It's a war that I'll probably won't win, but I'll take as many of the enemies with me as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Start treating your lawn with a grub killer. When the grubs are gone, so will the moles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,166,134 times
Actually going to water the lawn tomorrow for as dry, yet warm as it has been for this time of the year.

Good thing I got my 3rd application of high nitrogen fertilizer down as those grass roots are working hard this time of the year.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I got mine down Wed, and then we probably got a good 2" or so of rain since then. Pretty much rained Thur-Sun.

Growth has stopped though. We've had a couple frosts. Still green, but really I'm just mowing the leaves up after raking at this point.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Good to hear!

Going to 80' again tomorrow so my lawn mower is far from being winterized. Heck, at this point might to put down yet another application of high nitrogen fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I got mine down Wed, and then we probably got a good 2" or so of rain since then. Pretty much rained Thur-Sun.

Growth has stopped though. We've had a couple frosts. Still green, but really I'm just mowing the leaves up after raking at this point.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 PM

Default Near Final Cutting Of The Season

Many people have been asking me for cool season grasses getting close to the final cut of the year.

Don't make the mistake of dropping below 3", but instead KEEP CUTTING.

Too many people make the mistake and want to drop the height to 2" or even less.

Rule Of Thumb: Maintain the same cutting height and keep cutting as long as your getting top growth.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:09 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I still have a tiny bit of top growth, but for the most part the grass is starting to go dormant. Regular frosts at night, and the trees are maybe 80% done dropping leaves.

I'm still mowing, but more or less after raking leaves to mulch up the remainder. Still set at 3". I won't go lower.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Have not had a frost or freeze here yet so things keep growing.

Definitely so, keep that lawn mower set high...too many make the mistake of lowering it this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I still have a tiny bit of top growth, but for the most part the grass is starting to go dormant. Regular frosts at night, and the trees are maybe 80% done dropping leaves.

I'm still mowing, but more or less after raking leaves to mulch up the remainder. Still set at 3". I won't go lower.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 PM

Grass couldn't be greener here, STILL waiting in the first frost. Meanwhile, got keep cutting and not letting the grass get any taller than any other time of the year. Great time to still fertilize with less top growth this time of the year.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
We're still green where I am too (which is about 20 miles west of you), but we've had a couple of frosty mornings. Grass has definitely slowed way down, if not practically done growing for the year. I'm still mowing, but simply to stay ahead of the leaf pileup that happens. Basically I blow out the mulch beds into the yard, then mow them up with the bag on the mower. I'm not a fan of mulching / recycling my lawn clippings, even though I know it's helpful. Just doesn't do it for me. I like to bag. I've also noticed that if the leaves are left on the grass for too long, that grass tends to look worse than the rest. Like it's been suffocated or something.

If you know where Blue Mount Nursery is on Rte. 7 in Loudoun, they have this liquid stuff called Root Master that has a rooting hormone in it. Same stuff that is in the more expensive "super thrive". Been using it for the past several weeks to help my transplanted trees, which I am happy to report are looking a billion times better now. I put some in a mixer/sprayer that you attach to the hose, set the dispenser dial to 1.5 tsp per gallon of water, and sprayed an area in the back yard that wasn't looking so good two weeks ago. Figured I had to do something about that area anyway in the spring, so tried it out as a test area for this stuff. The grass took off like it was on speed. Then the frost stopped it, but I could tell the grass really loved that hormone. Might be worth the trip out to Loudoun if you're inclined! I'll be hitting the entire yard with it in the spring (which, I officially can't wait for it to arrive!)

I also hit the evergreens with some neem oil to keep the bugs out, and then a coating of Wilt Stop to help them hold in the moisture and protect from winter/wind burn. That Wilt Stop stuff, is great! First time I've used it, and man what a nice improvement. I have a ton of schip laurels that were planted this year. I noticed if not watered after two days, they'd start to wilt. I put this stuff on them, and they haven't stopped reaching up towards the sky since.

I'm a little bummed. Got the yard looking so nice this year and finished it up just as fall was setting in. So now I have to wait 6 months or so before picking it back up again. Feels like I painted 3 of 4 walls in a room, and have to wait forever to paint the 4th.... Oh well, first-world problems I guess. I shouldn't complain!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Never been to Blue Mount Nursery, but will have to check it out.

Hard to believe several days this week temps are going to be in the 60's.

Just cut the grass again today with no sign of end of season....as long as it keeps growing, keep cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We're still green where I am too (which is about 20 miles west of you), but we've had a couple of frosty mornings. Grass has definitely slowed way down, if not practically done growing for the year. I'm still mowing, but simply to stay ahead of the leaf pileup that happens. Basically I blow out the mulch beds into the yard, then mow them up with the bag on the mower. I'm not a fan of mulching / recycling my lawn clippings, even though I know it's helpful. Just doesn't do it for me. I like to bag. I've also noticed that if the leaves are left on the grass for too long, that grass tends to look worse than the rest. Like it's been suffocated or something.

If you know where Blue Mount Nursery is on Rte. 7 in Loudoun, they have this liquid stuff called Root Master that has a rooting hormone in it. Same stuff that is in the more expensive "super thrive". Been using it for the past several weeks to help my transplanted trees, which I am happy to report are looking a billion times better now. I put some in a mixer/sprayer that you attach to the hose, set the dispenser dial to 1.5 tsp per gallon of water, and sprayed an area in the back yard that wasn't looking so good two weeks ago. Figured I had to do something about that area anyway in the spring, so tried it out as a test area for this stuff. The grass took off like it was on speed. Then the frost stopped it, but I could tell the grass really loved that hormone. Might be worth the trip out to Loudoun if you're inclined! I'll be hitting the entire yard with it in the spring (which, I officially can't wait for it to arrive!)

I also hit the evergreens with some neem oil to keep the bugs out, and then a coating of Wilt Stop to help them hold in the moisture and protect from winter/wind burn. That Wilt Stop stuff, is great! First time I've used it, and man what a nice improvement. I have a ton of schip laurels that were planted this year. I noticed if not watered after two days, they'd start to wilt. I put this stuff on them, and they haven't stopped reaching up towards the sky since.

I'm a little bummed. Got the yard looking so nice this year and finished it up just as fall was setting in. So now I have to wait 6 months or so before picking it back up again. Feels like I painted 3 of 4 walls in a room, and have to wait forever to paint the 4th.... Oh well, first-world problems I guess. I shouldn't complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden