Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,990,437 times

Advertisements

Where exactly you located!

Those of us in the mid Atlantic are coming near the end of optimal timeframe for seed germination in order for establishment by winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I am a little late with the fall lawn care this year. This is also my first year taking over after I fired the lawn guys. (I am in zone 7a).

My dilemma is whether to focus on killing weeds right now or to focus on reseeding?

The front lawn is lumpy, a bit patchy, and the weeds really took over when the hot weeks had the grass going dormant. With the cooler weather the grass has bounced back but the weeds are nice and healthy too. I have clover(which I don't mind), big patches of ground ivy/creeping charlie, dandelions, plaintains, oxalis, thistle, etc.

I treated one section with Scotts fall lawn builder feed and weed a few days back, and I can see it has knocked the weeds back quite a bit. Especially the creeping charlie, which I was plucking by hand making no progress, and from what I have read is especially hard to kill so I am really happy to see that dying back now.

I am also working on some big holes/bare patches in the back yard, fixing the soil and seeding and they have all sprouted nicely, so I know this is a good time to get new grass growing.

My problem is as good as the feed and weed is at killing the weeds, the package says to wait about 4 weeks before putting down new seed in a treated area. I want to treat the rest of the front yard to make progress in the weed battle, but I am worried that 4 weeks from now would be too late to get seed to sprout and survive and I feel I need to do both this fall.

My thinking right now is to continue with the feed and weed (as soon as this storm passes on the east coast), get rid of as many weeds as possible, rake/pluck clean the lawn out, and then overseed in October and hope to get some fill in before winter.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM

3,171 posts, read 1,558,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Where exactly you located!

Those of us in the mid Atlantic are coming near the end of optimal timeframe for seed germination in order for establishment by winter.
I am in zone 7a, north east/north fork of Long Island. I know right now is great, I filled in/seeded another hole from an old tree stump, and the seeds sprouted on the third day (yesterday).

Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,990,437 times
Giving your location, definitely waiting any longer will be past peak if not already.

Quote:
I am in zone 7a, north east/north fork of Long Island. I know right now is great, I filled in/seeded another hole from an old tree stump, and the seeds sprouted on the third day (yesterday).

Old 10-02-2017, 09:51 AM
exm

3,699 posts, read 1,742,739 times
I use the Scott's 4-step program and I have one of the best lawns on the block. I don't use a landscaper, but reseed in the fall, and keep on top of bare spots during the season. Location: LI, NY.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I use the Scott's 4-step program and I have one of the best lawns on the block. I don't use a landscaper, but reseed in the fall, and keep on top of bare spots during the season. Location: LI, NY.
I am in LI also. I fired the landscaper this year to save money and I am doing it myself for the first time.

How do people balance weed killing with seeding/reseeding?

If you put down weed killer you can't seed, if you seed then no weed killer.

This past spring I put down preemergent, which means no seeding with grass until after that wears off, which doesn't leave much cool weather to get grass started.

This past summer I spent a lot of time hand pulling weeds, making some progress but in general losing the battle.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:11 AM

77,773 posts, read 104,027,814 times
Heck we have the best lawn on the block. We only have one other house and they are complete slobs.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM

15,664 posts, read 20,139,907 times
Quote:
I

Seed in the fall, as many weeds are dying off and you can use the opportunity to overseed in the voids they are leaving behind, then go after the weeds in the spring/summer to get the ones that find somewhere to germinate. At some point, your "good" grass should be thick enough that many weeds can't get a good foothold.

The yards where I live that seem to have the most issue with weeds tend to have very thin grass. The owners really only cut the grass, but never overseed to fill in the voids. I almost want to get a bag or two of seed just to overseed my two neighbors to the side of me to thicken in their grass and avoid weeds...which tend to creep into my lawn.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM
exm

Quote:
I am in LI also. I fired the landscaper this year to save money and I am doing it myself for the first time.

This past spring I put down preemergent, which means no seeding with grass until after that wears off, which doesn't leave much cool weather to get grass started.

This past summer I spent a lot of time hand pulling weeds, making some progress but in general losing the battle.
When I moved in, the lawn was a mess. Full of weeds and crabgrass. Here was my strategy:
  • I simply ripped out the patches that were overgrown and placed grass sod which I purchased at HD.
  • That fall I overseeded the lawn in late September and applied step 4 in late October
  • The next spring I used the 'Step 1 for seeding' and over-seeded again
  • Any sign of crabgrass: I manually pulled them. Continue with step 2-3-4
  • Since then, every year: reseed in September, Step 4 in October. Throughout the year I've patched bare spots
Yes, I am using Home Depot grass sod, Scott's seed (BJs) and Scott's 4-step program. But you know what? In my street (in Garden City), I'm one of the few people taking care of my own lawn and it looks great. The money saved with doing this myself I invested in good equipment (Honda mower, Stihl trimmer and blower, edger). And now I'm saving about $2,000 a year.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:02 PM

I don't see any official Scotts step 1 for seeding, is this what you mean?

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/product...weed-preventer

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
exm

Quote:
I don't see any official Scotts step 1 for seeding, is this what you mean?

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/product...weed-preventer
That's it. Use that instead of step 1.

In the spring most retailers will have sales with the Scott's programs, and they'll give you the option to buy this one instead of step 1. Keep an eye on ACE Hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden