Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 10:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Mark the calendar! Top Tip.

Fall lawn care starts Sept 1.

Actually in two weeks putting down pre-emergent for annual Bluegrass then come September 1 aerating, detaching, and fertilizing.
What do you use for a pre-emergent for annual Bluegrass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 08:38 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
I was not a Master Gardner but my co-worker at our local hardware(previous residence) was a Michigan State Master Gardner and gave lectures throughout the county. For years we tried to convince of the highlighted statements, and many other things.

We are always given the statements that
-- my sprinkler company set up the schedule and they know what they are doing
-- we have loose candy soil so it can't compact

On weed control--liquid all the way for post emergent.

I have sandy soil. Because of the mulching and general die back core aeration helps. 3 - 5 years in my area.

I hear from a lot of people there sprinkler company set sprinkler and they know best. Seldom the case but I no longer argue.

Water - For me with an established lawn generally every 3 days works. This is an established tall fescue lawn. And I keep in long. Cut every 2 weeks. Tall fescue not only wants to be long but has to be long.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
There are a number of products you can go with. Basically what you're looking for is the same thing you put down in the early spring for crabgrass prevention which contains dimension.

In the past typically I've always going with some form of Lesco like there are 0-0-7 product.

I think I'm going to save that for the springtime and try Weed Stop about the middle of this month give it three weeks before I aerate around the first or second week in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Old 08-08-2021, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you've been doing your homework and are on the right track.

I am going with detaching every other year and aerating on an annual basis and the fall.

For watering you might want to see if you can go one day a week for getting down and inch of water at a longer duration than more frequently during the week at shorter durations. This approach helps build deeper roots.

Especially in the summer of months as high as you can cut it the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I have sandy soil. Because of the mulching and general die back core aeration helps. 3 - 5 years in my area.

I hear from a lot of people there sprinkler company set sprinkler and they know best. Seldom the case but I no longer argue.

Water - For me with an established lawn generally every 3 days works. This is an established tall fescue lawn. And I keep in long. Cut every 2 weeks. Tall fescue not only wants to be long but has to be long.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Default Time to work on that lawn.

Getting ready to aerate, seed. I think I’m going to top dress this year. I’ve added lime and fungicide multiple times already. I still have a few bad spots that I’ll rake up and seed. The rain has been both good and bad, but the lawn looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-afbefcc9-ca6c-4b46-a8c9-8b3fe1052045.jpeg  

Old 08-08-2021, 01:23 PM

+1 Cannot recommend a lawn aeration enough

+1 Set the programmable box for a thorough soaking one all week

+1 Cut as high as -ossicle once a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post

Old 08-08-2021, 07:20 PM

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/dDN7bApxnFk?t=261

Quote:

Old 08-08-2021, 07:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
When is the best time to aerate? I have it done annually but it seems the place I use comes around later and later in the season. If I want to do some overseeding, I'd think early Sep. would be better than mid October?

Old 08-09-2021, 07:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thanks, that Spectracide product is something I have never used. I typically use a crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring. I bought a bag this past spring and never got around to using it. I didn't get much crabgrass even though my neighbors' yards are full of it. I do have some other weeds that I would like to find a pre-emergent and I'll take a closer look at that Spectracide product. Chickweed, creeping Charlie, and some grassy weeds are my biggest problems.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:24 AM

If you already have a bag of crabgrass pre-emergent you can definitely use that.

Quote:
Thanks, that Spectracide product is something I have never used. I typically use a crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring. I bought a bag this past spring and never got around to using it. I didn't get much crabgrass even though my neighbors' yards are full of it. I do have some other weeds that I would like to find a pre-emergent and I'll take a closer look at that Spectracide product. Chickweed, creeping Charlie, and some grassy weeds are my biggest problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden