Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 05:27 AM

7,419 posts, read 7,004,097 times

Advertisements

Excessive heat for the past couple of days, the lawn and perennial garden is definitely needing a watering this morning.

Record highs again in the 90s, the plants are definitely asking for some shade.

What is the weather in your garden today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 06:52 AM

11,363 posts, read 24,315,581 times
We’ve had drought conditions for over a month, near Atlanta. The weather, until last week, was relatively mild. Then we had about four days above 90 with a light wind.

My ornamental garden consists of many xeric plants. The new bed of natives gets water twice a week. The other beds, as needed. Our veggies need water daily.

I’m grateful that the humidity has remained low because it’s easier to work outside.

We don’t water our lawn since it’s mostly old pasture grass that goes dormant in the summer, anyway. Under the trees it’s still green.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:53 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,950,782 times
90's currently in Charlotte NC (record-breaking) but plants are very happy, half in clay dirt and half in containers large and small.
Tomatoes are bigger and earlier than last year even though our spring had more freezing than other years.

Mulch (straw bale) really keeps in-ground plants from drying out and I cut up cardboard (free from Amazon) to mulch larger container plants (beans mainly). Tried to plant beans in-ground but rabbits chewed the vines and killed them Vining and bush beans do very well in large containers with trellis.

Fewer hummingbirds than previous years, maybe the harsh spring hurt them.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:40 PM

48,251 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Just planted my tomatoes and peppers, melons and squash as we should not freeze over night from here onward. Daytime will be high 70s up to 90, lows in 40s/50s. Should probably put up a shade cloth for the veggies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2022, 08:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,532,050 times
It was in the mid 90’s both days this weekend. We did get some rain so I didn’t bother watering. I haven’t watered at all yet this year and the grass is as green as it’s ever been.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:01 AM

7,112 posts, read 4,947,887 times
Except for the two days last week that set record hi temps here, we've been running 10-15degF below normal. It got down to 35* last night. This is unusual, but not outside the normal range over many years.

Peas have sprouted and potatoes are reluctantly pushing up. Nothing else has sprouted yet and I'm holding off putting out my tomato starts jusrt yet...

I hope I didn't plant the sweet corn too soon, but who cares? The deer never let me taste any anyways.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:03 AM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times
High winds basically beat our pepper plants to green mush:>(

Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM

7,419 posts, read 7,004,097 times
Sounds like you and I are in the same situation. Past couple days were record highs in the '90s, heavy storms came through last night, now today is actually kind of a cool breeze in the air upper '60s.

The lawn has never looked so good and the plants couldn't be greener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It was in the mid 90’s both days this weekend. We did get some rain so I didn’t bother watering. I haven’t watered at all yet this year and the grass is as green as it’s ever been.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:49 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,521,883 times
80 degrees all day/all night every day all year around!

It's cloudy all day but my tomato seeds sprouted and are now nice thriving small plants unlike the past few months where they'd sprout but never grow. It's never full sun but they don't seem to mind that. Sprinkles every night, no rain in the daytime. Ever.

Never thought "perfect" weather could be so boring, lol.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:07 PM

48,251 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
80 degrees all day/all night every day all year around!

It's cloudy all day but my tomato seeds sprouted and are now nice thriving small plants unlike the past few months where they'd sprout but never grow. It's never full sun but they don't seem to mind that. Sprinkles every night, no rain in the daytime. Ever.

Never thought "perfect" weather could be so boring, lol.

I agree. Thirty years in Hawaii..... same weather essentially everyday. We could recite the weather report everyday, almost verbatim.

I like seasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden