Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

all I did was google dwarf crepe myrtle zone 7 and voila!

Plant A Smaller Crepe Myrtle This Year | Southern Living Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:59 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I agree completely. hacking off the top with a chainsaw indiscriminately is very easy and quick. Going in and selectively picking out cross branches, diseased limbs, suckers, etc. is very time consuming. Which do you think $10 an hr laborers is going to do?
Neither one is necessary. People murder them, because they think the trees will only bloom on new growth. This is not true, since unpruned trees can be seen in bloom everywhere.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:04 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
I notice these whole taking a walk in Houston. These look like very old trees based on the size of the trunks. What a disaster how they were topped off probably by some chainsaw happy landscaper. Attaching photo.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Need to ask yourself exactly how tall you want it to get...dwarf means different things to different people.

Personally, if you want something up to 5ft, look at the Cherry Dazzle Dwarf Crape Myrtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
I would like to buy a dwarf crepe myrtle, but I do not know anything about it. I live in the North East, in zone 7. What type do you recommend?

Thanks a million....

Old 11-08-2016, 08:42 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
I had a neighbor do this to a southern sugar maple last year. Thankfully it is dying now. Another year or two and it will be gone. Unfortunately, the kinds of people that would do this to a sugar maple are likely to plant a Bradford pear or silver maple in its place.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I had a neighbor do this to a southern sugar maple last year. Thankfully it is dying now. Another year or two and it will be gone. Unfortunately, the kinds of people that would do this to a sugar maple are likely to plant a Bradford pear or silver maple in its place.
Oh silver maples are fine. People go way overboard about stories of them splitting and breaking.

They are great trees, absolutely beautiful to look at, especially in autumn, and a native tree which is home to many species. Much better than continue the non-native invasion spread.

Now the Bradford pear - if you are careful about lopping boughs coming off 90 degrees you'll also be fine. But they stink at blossom time.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:25 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am so appreciative of this thread. I only have one crape myrtle and although I would never commit crape murder, I learned enough to be a confident pruner.
Now, who will ever influence my neighbor, "Speedo Man," who will commit his annual chain saw massacre, the weekend before Easter? God willing, the temp will be low.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:56 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
all I did was google dwarf crepe myrtle zone 7 and voila!

Plant A Smaller Crepe Myrtle This Year | Southern Living Blog

I've got 2 of those Pink Velour in my backyard. They've been here since we built this home...abt 50yrs.

always done well and bloomed until the drought conditions, and nothing is growing like they once did. I would just prune the tops.

My dad also planted 2 little bush type of crepe myrtles, they're still hanging in there too.

I like those dwarf white ones, they're so pretty . I see them around my neighborhood, the ones with the newer landscaping designs.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

Now the Bradford pear - if you are careful about lopping boughs coming off 90 degrees you'll also be fine. But they stink at blossom time.
Talk about a Trash Tree!!!! They used to be all over Atlanta along with photinia fraseri. Thank god we don't see as many anymore.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:02 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,191 times
I have a non-bearing Bradford pear tree, and it grows and grows, and the branches break!
It really needs a good pruning. It's been a few years since the last time.

It gives great shade tho!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden