Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

But the most important thing to remember is to get the right variety for the right place. All crepe myrtles are not created equally. Do some study for your site.

https://www.facebook.com/16576443695...1816116017071/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 01:59 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
You're right; crepe "murder" drives me nuts. I have 18 different varieties of crepe myrtles in my yard, and usually prune other shrubs back to accommodate them, like my 12 ft. by 14 ft. butterfly bushes. However, I did learn that when something is named a "Red Rocket" crepe myrtle, it WILL grow fast and tall!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
We've always allowed ours to grow as trees, only pruning the crossing branches. However, trying to get rid of them is next to impossible. We had two that were planted way too close to the house, so we cut them down. Now, we have tens of them coming up from the root system. Nothing, short of digging up the roots, seems to kill the things.

I despise Crepe Myrtles!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You're right; crepe "murder" drives me nuts. I have 18 different varieties of crepe myrtles in my yard, and usually prune other shrubs back to accommodate them, like my 12 ft. by 14 ft. butterfly bushes. However, I did learn that when something is named a "Red Rocket" crepe myrtle, it WILL grow fast and tall!
I have a 'Red Rocket' and love it. It's the prettiest tree on the street when in bloom. It's difficult and very time consuming to prune out the dead old flower tips which stay brown and ugly if not taken off.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Go with the dwarfs and you don't have to worry about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But the most important thing to remember is to get the right variety for the right place. All crepe myrtles are not created equally. Do some study for your site.

https://www.facebook.com/16576443695...1816116017071/

Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Perfect timing, we are just getting ready to go out and prune ours.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:

Not singling you out here, as we all learn things "accidentally". If you have a shrub, tree, flower that you find, do your research. I have heard over and over, "we didn't know it would get this big". Now part two of this is, once you have done your research, check the internet or library and confirm what you have learned. I caution this only because if your "research" is at a box store that person may or may not know the nuances of the particular item in question and you may wind up with a gigantic tree up against your house.

If the person in the garden center doesn't know the answer he always takes me to his library of books and checks to see if he can respond appropriately. Often times people have trouble admitting they don't know something and you end up on the wrong side of the equation.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

Not singling you out here, as we all learn things "accidentally". If you have a shrub, tree, flower that you find, do your research. I have heard over and over, "we didn't know it would get this big". Now part two of this is, once you have done your research, check the internet or library and confirm what you have learned. I caution this only because if your "research" is at a box store that person may or may not know the nuances of the particular item in question and you may wind up with a gigantic tree up against your house.

If the person in the garden center doesn't know the answer he always takes me to his library of books and checks to see if he can respond appropriately. Often times people have trouble admitting they don't know something and you end up on the wrong side of the equation.

This right here is excellent advice! I am not one of those who walks into a garden center, and says 'Oh what a pretty plant, I want it!' Everything I plant is researched first. Does it suit my needs. Will it fit, and or flourish where I want to plant it. Will it have more problems than what I'd like to take on, etc. After the research, the quest begins in finding said plants. I start with local growers first, then work my way out. I happen to be very fortunate in that 90% of what I want can be found within a 20 mile radius. One grower I use quite a bit deals in strictly Long Island native perennials, of which I am most interested in.

Edit: Side note; I am strictly talking of perennials, and the like. Annuals; grab what looks pretty, and have at it! :-)

Last edited by LIcenter; 02-28-2016 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Oh, don't get me wrong - I love my "Red Rockets". I have a large yard so I now have 4 of them. The only one that was surprising was the first one that was planted close to the house. It's been professionally trimmed by an arborist now so that the branches grow away from the house. It's actually taller than the outer roofline. The other three are planted well away from other structures and plants as well, except wo that are close to the zebra plant hedge, which I just trim back on the back side to accommodate the crape myrtles' width. My zebra plants grow to incredible height and width as well. The high water table here is really beneficial for shrub and tree growth!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Wow, I now have dwarf butterfly bushes and LOVE them.

When I had regular butterfly bushes, I would cut them to the ground each spring.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden