Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 05:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times

Advertisements

I feel your aggravation cam. My front bed, which are all third year perennials planted for hummers, butterflies and bees are quite stunted this year. The swampweed last year grew to six feet before setting flowers, while this year they only made it to four feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:33 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I feel your aggravation cam. My front bed, which are all third year perennials planted for hummers, butterflies and bees are quite stunted this year. The swampweed last year grew to six feet before setting flowers, while this year they only made it to four feet.
As a personal preference for cooler, drier weather no complaints at all from me. I been in heaven. Just funny to see the garden reacting.. Must be tough for farmers.

I didn't even bother to mention the Spinach which bolted. I didn't even harvest any yet.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Wanted to check the PH and Fertility around the Eggplants.

BINGO. Eggplants like PH to be 5.5 - 6.5. I got close to 7.0PH. Lets call it 6.9?

I prefer it to be 6.0 for Eggplants.

To Lower PH add Sulfur...or Compost.
To Raise PH add Lime

So I added fresh organic compost from my pile and mixed it in.

Next, the Fertility. BINGO. On border of "Too Little" and Ideal.

To make it more fertile add Fertilizer. So I added Miracle Grow fertilizer.

Now we wait and see.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:57 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Wow Cam you have to be one of the most technical people I know about your garden , that is awesome though . I'm glad if we get flowers to bloom from seed which I did this year I got every last zinnia to bloom and it looks so good in front of my deck . I even managed to get all my yard work done this morning before noon .

Old 06-19-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow Cam you have to be one of the most technical people I know about your garden , that is awesome though
lol. Thanks! The figuring out part and harvesting is my favorite parts of gardening. The rest I don't care for. Boring, repetitive, and simple. In fact, if it wasn't for the challenges and the yields, I'd rather it be cold and snowy 12 months a year.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
As a personal preference for cooler, drier weather no complaints at all from me. I been in heaven. Just funny to see the garden reacting.. Must be tough for farmers.

I didn't even bother to mention the Spinach which bolted. I didn't even harvest any yet.
Don't even get me started on spinach! I love the stuff, but it just sprouts and bolts for me. I've maybe harvested two good leaves of spinach in 4 years. Not even bothering with it anymore!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:19 PM

Weekly Update June 25, 2016

80s and dry! Only 1.20" of rain this month so far. In Drought status. Had a lot of rain in May but was cold the first half.

Overview.

All my herbs are growing ok

Fava Beans. See them? They survived the Aphid attacks.

Cauliflower really taking off now.

Potatoes. Yeah, almost time to start digging them up. Maybe next weekend I will start.

Snap Peas. Mmmmmm

Cabbage. Not growing much.

Hot Peppers. Not growing as fast as they could. Hasn't been hot yet!

There are flowers and some pods growing on the hot peppers though.

Top dressed my Cucumbers with Compost

Bell Peppers. Making a move to nice growth!

Finally some green tomatoes on most of the plants. Tiny still. Probably mid July for a ripe one.

Eggplants. Just don't get it. No real growth. Last week I dug in compost and added fertilizer. Today I added compost on top now see if that helps. Such a challenge each year why do I bother??

2 Eggplants are showing signs it wants to grow. Nice looking new leaves! Maybe the Miracle Grow fertilizer did help? Only been a week!

Old 06-25-2016, 06:57 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Wow. Great job from my eyes. I just moved to a new place and I'm trying/ battling to get things going but it seems I've got tree-rats and sky rats just plundering anything I try to plant -- I've just about had it, any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:56 PM

June 27, 2016.

Guess what time it is........

Harvest Time.... White Potatoes on left not done yet.

1st.. Rake the hay LIGHTLY to move out of the way

Now, start digging

Done..

Close up ....... Wanna Guess How many I harvested? Don't Scroll down further!

Too late ........ 110 Red Norlun Potatoes! Some are tiny though.

60 fava Beans from 36 plants. Not the greatest yield! Weather affected everything.
Left a few on the plant to save for seeds.

I was being watched! Probably like Mmmm, he can have the Potatoes, I'll have the bugs in the soil.

Looks like a "Jail Bird". lol

In a drought. Front coming through tomorrow but only less than 1/2" expected.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Thanks for sharing! The potatoes look delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden